Cree Introduces Industry’s First No-Compromise, Ceramic, Mid-Power LEDs

slebans

Enlightened
http://www.cree.com/news-and-events/cree-news/press-releases/2013/may/xh-intro

SNIP
The XH-G LED delivers leading efficacy levels of up to 170 lumens-per-watt at 65 mA, 5000 K, 80 CRI and 25°C. In addition, the ceramic-based XH LEDs are designed to deliver the long L70 lifetimes at high temperature and high current operation of Cree's other high-power LEDs, such as XP and XT LEDs. In comparison, plastic LEDs are known for very short L70 lifetimes at high-temperature and high-current operation. The XH LEDs allow lighting manufacturers to offer products that meet the reliability expectations of LED technology.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why change what's been working for them? Everybody does plastic LEDs, but and it looks like the silicone encapsulant covers more area of the device, might make for smoother pattern when the LEDs are mounted right up next to each other. I'll be curious to see how their prices compare to other mid power lighting class discreet emitters with similar CRI.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Why change what's been working for them? Everybody does plastic LEDs, but and it looks like the silicone encapsulant covers more area of the device, might make for smoother pattern when the LEDs are mounted right up next to each other. I'll be curious to see how their prices compare to other mid power lighting class discreet emitters with similar CRI.

Plastic can crack leading to the bond wires being exposed to the elements leading to corrosion and eventually early failure. Ceramic packages are generally seen as more reliable so if they are cost competitive it could be a winner. I'm excited to see how these perform when they come out. Not a great flashlight LED but certainly for general lighting.

WeLight

Enlightened
going to be in the mid .20-.30c depending on volume