Cracked/damaged Surefire? Show me!

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I love my Surefire.
Most of them are brand new collector pieces.
But I take also care of my EDC-lights.
On the other hand I enjoy already abused lights like my 6Z because .. well ... every next scratch is not noticeable ;)

Who cracked/damaged or heavily abused there flashlights?
Especially cracked lights would be interested.
Please post some pictures.
Also the stories behind these lights are interested.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I managed to crack the lens of a Surefire E2DL by holding it under my chin to light something I was working on, and thereby dropping it twice onto a concrete floor. Unfortunately no pictures. Fortunately Surefire has excellent warranty service - they resolved the issue no questions asked even though the manner in which the lens broke is a bit outside of the real purpose of a warranty.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I tried to link the "Show your beat up light" thread but I couldnt check it out its not specific to SFs though. Have not seen a cracked one just one that was John Deered and a garbage disposaled one.

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
@BillSWPA:
cracked lenses are boring :D
Cracked body's are interested.

I tried to link the "Show your beat up light" thread but I couldnt check it out its not specific to SFs though. Have not seen a cracked one just one that was John Deered and a garbage disposaled one.

That's why I open up a new thread ;)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is interesting in a "cracked" whatever of a light?

The only way to have something like that happen, is to run it over with a truck
--> a typical way to use a light (?)
:rolleyes:

No light - not even the cheapest - will get more than scratches from normal flashlight use,
and if it falls down: glass cracked, metal lip bent, bulb blown ... but again no real damage

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
I've got a Malkoff MD2 I wore on duty when I first started. Got into my first foot pursuit and the light flew from the holster smacking on concrete. After all was said and done went back and retrieved the light. Only a small chip off the bezel.

Also lost this same MD2 for 24 hours in a snow bank. Waited for snow to melt, then found light. Light still works perfect to this day. Not enough damage to even justify taking pics. My word to describe the dependability of my Malkoffs: yawn. Boringly reliable.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Malkoff MD2 I wore on duty when I first started. Got into my first foot pursuit and the light flew from the holster smacking on concrete. After all was said and done went back and retrieved the light. Only a small chip off the bezel.

Also lost this same MD2 for 24 hours in a snow bank. Waited for snow to melt, then found light. Light still works perfect to this day. Not enough damage to even justify taking pics. My word to describe the dependability of my Malkoffs: yawn. Boringly reliable.
If your doing police work, boringly reliable is a good thing, just make sure you have a backup and have practiced switching to it, because if something is going to go wrong, it's going to happen at the worst time possible

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The photo got deleted over time but I dropped an LX2 from basically three stories up when a contact decided he wasn't going to jail standing outside of his apartment. When he lunged at me I dropped my light to keep from being flung over the rail and my light fell off. Sadly, the light fell into what I think was a dumpster pit which meant it was a little bit further down. She landed on the bezel and cracked the lens pretty bad. It had a huge dent in it and the lens was nearly in pieces. The light worked though :)

Surefire happily replaced it but I couldn't talk them into letting me keep it. I wanted to use it to justify to my friends and family why I own such expensive lights. Somewhere at SureFire I would like to think that LX2 was saved as a trophy of how strong they are. Maybe someone has it in their desk showing customers :)

My E1B is missing half of it's anodizing. The bezel is dented, the tailcap looks like someone chewed it up. It's covered in scratched and gouges. Sadly it's sitting at my best friends house. She played with it all summer long a couple of years ago and I finally gave in and let her keep it in her car/purse in case she needed it. I'll probably never see ole faithful again :(