Upgrade Zebralight SC600 to XM-L2?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have had my SC600 for over a year now. It's one of the first ones with an XM-L U2 emitter in it. The hotspot is perfect, but the extreme edges of the light are bright blue. I've never noticed it in actual use :wink: but it gives me an excuse to upgrade now that XM-L2's are out.

Does anyone make an XM-L2 already soldered to a rectangular board? I measured it as best I could with calipers without removing it and the board is approximately 8.5mmx15.25mm.

I've swapped emitters plenty of times, any pitfalls with Zebralights or XM-L2's?

2013-06-01_11-49-43_73_zps17f5f605.jpg

Tiresius

Enlightened
Looks like the emitter is wired differently than a simple + and - connection. To avoid the complications, just reflow an XM-L2 on that square MPCB. Simply get a computer heatsink (flat surface) and place that on a hotplate with the MPCB on top of the heatsink. This is to make sure you don't fry the fiberglass layer of the board.

No guarantee on how the new upgrade will behave though.

Flucero28

Enlightened
I modded one of these for another member with a high CRI 3000K XML. It's a bit tricky as the head absorbs a lot of heat, se re-soldering the connections can be a challenge.

Frank