THE HORROR! (Broken D10)

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I have carried the same early model Nitecore D10 daily for several years. In my job I use it nearly daily, enough to burn through an eneloop a week. Tonight while using it to light a trailer we were unloading for a neighbor it fell off the shelf on the wall and broke completely in two between the threads and the head end battery contacts. It is an early model with an Osram golden dragon, and no strobe/sos, which is why I'd kept it so long. I do have a spare, but it is nearly mint, and is a later model, the tribute I believe, with strobe and sos. Is there any spare parts floating around? Or is my only hope a donor light? Will the early parts fit in a later head? I'd sure love to keep the same light without sacrificing my minty new one for parts.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Yep, that was not entirely unheard of with the early D-10's. I have a spare body to send you. But in the middle of moving right now, please keep in mind too, it is another early body. I have no use for it. Shoot me a PM. I will put it in the mail next week, when the nightmare called moving ends.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oof, that sucks Phantom! Like Tip and Ring said, the early D10's were a bit notorious for cracking right where you described. If you still have the driver pill (the electronic guts inside the head) you're in good shape. The reflector and light engine are both threaded, so if you have split-ring pliers they can be unscrewed and transplanted into a new body.

There should be a number of people around here with extra D10 bodies - they were popular modding hosts for a bit and a lot of aluminum bodies got replaced with titanium ones. Maybe post a WTB thread over on CPF Marketplace?

nightshade

Enlightened
That problem was solved with the next production run, NiteCore at that time thickened the body ever so slightly. At my place of employment there are many flashaholics, still lots of D10 product in service. One of our machinists made a stainless body for his. Ala JB E3S. After his passing, his son inherited that light and it is still in service today. Most D10 problem lights that I have worked on had very simple issues, such as overly compressed piston springs, over lubrication, etc,etc. Hold on to that light, it's still a winner in my book. :)

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I have 3. I bought the original early model from ebay I believe, and it has been with me dusk to dawn for somewhere around 5 years through a lot of unsavory places. I'm an electrician, and have truly USED it every day. The parts are all in place, and still function. It must have cracked when it fell, and worked when I picked it up to test for spring compression. But it split in two when it lit. I have 1 minty new one as a spare, and my son has one that the battery leaked in, and needs constant attention. Best lights I ever saw. But the original is the only one without Sos/strobe, which I have no need for, and find annoying.

Last edited:

Hiro Protagonist

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your D10, but glad that you have a source for a spare body. It's my favorite AA light.

d10ss.jpg

nightshade

Enlightened
Hiro, that is a great picture! :)

Phantom309, the leak victim may benefit from a total detail cleaning and Caig deoxit treatment. There is little I can cover on the D10 that the comprehensive Zeruel D10 tribute has not already covered. Here is a video on the D10 takedown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDHZzEkR0Y

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at other lights, and bought a few, but none work as well, or interest me as much as the D10. Especially this early model without the extra modes that I don't want or need. I bought a xeno eo3 thinking that it might take it's place. But the xeno feels so cheesy, I don't dare trust it at work as the light on my belt. Then I thought that a Fenix Pd 32 would be close enough in size that I could use it. But it seems far too large and clunky, although the extra output is nice. Since RCR's are proving their reliability, and becoming more economical I had been considering an EX10 or 11, which had been out of the question after my first battery eating 123 light. But the Jetbeam RRT01 has peaked my interest lately. The extra lumens would be nice, but I am sure I would miss the piston. I think I'll just keep buying D10's when I find them cheaply enough, and fixing them as long as I can.

nightshade

Enlightened
You found what you like and what works! No shame in that. I have a few D10's. I am actually waiting for emitters to catch up with the D10's potential. I like the D10 that much.
I have swapped XP-G, XP-G2, XP-E and XM-L in one D-10. Liked them all. Tough decisions. I settled on the neutral XM-L.
Finding what I like and carry has not stopped me from playing catch and release with several lights per year. I am a admitted flashaholic. It's still a cheaper hobby than my buds golf addiction. :wave:
Give the RRT a try, if it isn't to be, it will move on CPFMP.

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to let everyone know that Tip and Ring came though for me with the parts I needed, and more. Hell of a guy if you ask me.

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's really really nice of you, Tip and Ring! apparently they still make em like they used to...