Flying LED's?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying LED\'s?

I was doing a little NON-FLASHLIGHT related browsing when I came across something that looks interesting...

Frizbee with LED's. Anyone seen these in person?
Sounds fun, regardless... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flying LED\'s?

I've seen them in person and they are pretty cool. There are a few brands out there, and are fun to play with (or just watch) at night. Some do tend to fly better than others.

-Mike

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. the title of this thread makes me want to buy a bunch of cheap LED's and put a 12v battery up to them and send them up in the air on a helium balloon over some poor farmers house at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

My screen name is for "real." I started playing with LEDs 3-4 years ago making ultra-light lights for stunt kites. These are 2 - 4 line kites that you control. There are competition meets - local, national and international. The idea was to make lights that were lightweight enough to not interfere with the flying characteristics of the kite so that serious flyers could extend their flying time into the evening hours. Came up with some pretty good prototypes, but due to the labor involved, was not able to produce the prototype in volume. It's really cool seeing a master class flyer flying a delta shaped stunt kite at night where all you see is the string of LEDs outlining the leading edge.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
I wonder if LED Museum or Quickbeam have taken a look at these...?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never seen or used a FlashFlight. Then again, it's a bit hard to play frisbee in an electric wheelchair, so getting action shots might be a bit problematic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Maybe Doug would be better equipped to review one of these.

reviewum

Enlightened

I've got a bunch of Discraft glow-in-the-dark discs that I use for ultimate frisbee. I'm thinking about sticking a few UV Leds in there the get the glow going!

A few things in my way:

1) I'd have to hack into the plastic quite a bit and I don't know how it will affect the disc.
2) I can't think of a good switch / battery combination to use.
3) I'm not sure how to get the light to the edges of the disk. The one in the link looks like it may use some kind of fiberoptic transfer.

Maybe I'll play around and see if I can get one to work. It would be great now that it gets dark at 4:00 pm!

Entropy

Enlightened

Discraft Ultra-Stars fly so well I would feel horrible hacking one of them up to add lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
I wonder if LED Museum or Quickbeam have taken a look at these...?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never seen or used a FlashFlight. Then again, it's a bit hard to play frisbee in an electric wheelchair, so getting action shots might be a bit problematic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Maybe Doug would be better equipped to review one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does conjure up some amusing mental pictures though, Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had heard you were pretty quick in that chair of yours though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Flying LED\'s? LED Frisbee Reviews!

I started out playing ultimate frisbee at night with a glow-in-the-dark Frisbee that had a Photon light duct taped to the underside. The opaque/transluscent nature of the glow-in-the-dark version made the light more visable from on top as well as the underside than any other Frisbee color. Fortunatly, a better solution came along. I've had a FlashFlight with Red LED's for about 8 months now, and it is, without question, the best!! It's amazing how many people just stop in their tracks and stare when you're playing at night! A single LED with 9 fiberoptic strands running from the center to the perimeter make it impossible to miss. REI sells a similar product called the Orby, but it's smaller in diameter, doesn't fly as well, and the constuction is considerably inferior. The FlashFlight is now available in Green and Blue also, and their coming out with a headband marker light (in various LED colors) for the players to wear, so you know where your teammates are. Jeff Scott over at FlashFLight has popped in on us here a time or two and is a real nice guy. www.flashflight.com and www.taillight.com for more info.