New here, looking for some info

cncwhiz

Newly Enlightened
I am new here, and I am looking for some information on some questions I have. I am a MTBr and I got into building lights a few years ago. I have built a few of them, but I would like to try to expand on building more. I looked through the sticky thread at the top, but I didn't see anything that might answer my questions. If I missed it, please direct me there. I am interested in building hand-held flash lights and other types of portable lamps. The only thing I have ever used are buckpucks from LED Supply, and their stars. I see alot of people are building their own drivers. I have no idea how this works, and I don't know what the applications are and all of that. One thing I've noticed is that alot of lights for sale here or made here have different modes..and I am sure that is in the wiring / circuitry of the driver, but again, I'm lost. Also, how are they made so small where they can fit in some of the smaller flashlights? The last thing is battieries. I have been using a quad 18650 pack with the light I built, and it works well. I was wondering though, what other types of batteries are there? Does anyone have a complete list of different types of batteries and maybe their dimensions? I can design alot of my ideas in Solidworks, but I need to know what the guts have to be and their dimensions. Thanks!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep reading this very sub-section. Look at other peoples builds. They will often list the drivers used, and more or less what batteries they are using in each application. No need to send you links as we could be here all day providing good resources - and this is a waste of time when the best resource is CPF itself :)

D2000

Enlightened
I agree with Matt. My 2 cents are to look at some of the very extavagant and well documented builds - they'll show you the way. Many of those users have hundreds of hours under their belt and know dimensions like the back of their hand. Here's my favourite recent build..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-build-7000-Led-lumen-power-BEAMSHOTS-added!

Get to know the names of the big guns in the building and customs threads - they usually have more than one build and are very valuable. One thing I learn was that I really did have to read heaps and heaps (maybe close to over 200 threads now) to start feeling like i was on top of everything.

Good luck - you've arrived at the best source of flashlight knowledge anywhere on the web.