Help a newbie decide on his 1st Surefire?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not entirely new to good flashlights, although I am new to Candlepower and a lot of the "new" technology out there. I saw a company that I deal with for Pelican cases started carrying the Opalec LED conversion for the MiniM*g, and it peaked my curiosity, and while looking into it found some of the member's review sites and the forums here.

I've got a modest inventory of flashlights already, about a dozen different M*gs, a Scorpion, PT Surge, Legend LX, CMG Infinity, Inova X5, and a few others, but I'm looking into buying my first Surefire light. Basically I'm looking at three different models, the E2e-HA, G2, and 6P. I've done some research on the differences, but haven't made up my mind yet.

E2: It's the smallest, has a clip, best looking, can be converted to LED, a choice of 60 or 25 Lumens lamp assembies, but is the most expensive at around $75.

G2: It is the cheapest ($40-45), choice of 65 or 120 lumens lamp assemblies, but has no LED option, no clip, and I believe is the largest of the three (same size as 6P?)

6P: It seems to be the most versatile, with options for LED, rechargeable battery conversion, 65 or 120 Lumens lamp assemblies, or even 200 Lumens with the A19 extension,a third battery, and the 9P lamp, but it doesn't have a clip (which would be nice IMHO), and it's finish may not be as durable as the HA on the E2 or the Nitrolon. I did find a D2 model which seems to have been discontinued (but still in stock at a few places) that looks like it is a 6P with a belt clip.

I'm looking for advice and recommendations from people who have lived with these lights for awhile, and can help me make the right choice. I'd like to keep my initial purchase below $75, although acessories and other parts will take the investment up over time. Depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing, I may be carrying the Surefire several times a week, and it will see use while camping and travelling, and on various tasks around our property. We live out in the country and I work nights, so I only see a few hours of daylight every day, especially in the winter months. I'll likely be carrying another LED light in addition to the Surefire, for when I need less light or more battery life.

-Keith

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
First choice would be the E2E, cause it has a pyrex lense and is tiny! Then buy a KL1. you can find the E2e on sale for a little cheaper than 75 dollars.

Another good choice is the G2Z, it also has a pyrex lense and is really pretty cheap. It takes either a P60 or a P61 LA and the KL3 LED is an option though the KL3 can only be descriped as huge!

If you don't want or need a LED attachment the G2Z really gives you alot of bang for the buck.

If you want a LED attachment go with the E2e.

Either way hard to go wrong.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT really depends on what you are getting a surefire for doesn't it? If you are getting it for use, and you are going to use it often, get the 6P, if you are getting it for display/collection, get the E2E. It's beautiful and small and is a good EDC. Depending on how you use the light, you can decide on which light for their different lamp assys.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
NeonLights-Your living situation sounds similar to mine. nights, country, limited daylight etc. I find LED lights work best most of the time due to durability and battery life. I don't own a SF, primarily due to start-up costs. I find the Scorpion works for me, that said. I guess the main consideration is would you have the light on you all the time? Then the E2e would probably be the best option. Also if you are getting this primarily for the 'cool' factor I think the E2e would probably be the best bet for that also.
There is also the E2o-HA Primary advantage is it has the longer clip. I would assume the E2-HA lights would all act as saws if needed
smile.gif
You can compare the lights features at Texas Tactical.
http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?start=9&total=20&searchpath=d8346805f2e052241387&category=Sure+Fire+Lights

kev1-1

Enlightened
If you already have an LED light for your general lighting needs, then the SureFire is probably going to simply be there for when you need a "REALLY bright light". SureFire's are ALMOST to bright for up close work, and too expensive to run, compared to an LED, for long periods. If this is the case then I would suggest saving a little longer and going for a 9v option like the M3 or C3. This would allow you to run the light at 120Lu for a full hour. As opposed to the 60Lu/1 hour OR 120Lu/20mins of the 6v lights. Giving you a very bright option when you need it...MUCH brighter than the LED's rather than just NOTICEABLY brighter!!!
yellowlaugh.gif
Sorry to be the one to drag in more options!!!
grin.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should pre-order the A2! Then you'll have an LED option AND a 65Lu light, all in one. They're supposed to be out pretty soon. Of course, people have been saying "pretty soon" since October 2002! haha.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I just went through the same process. I started out with the G2. It's a great light, tough small lightweight. I plan on getting the rechargeable kit for it soon. I then traded a knife for a NOS 8x. This light is much simpler than the newer lights. It twists on and off like a m*g. It has no tail cap either just a rubber bit on the bottom that allows you to push the battery forward to make momentary contact. The light is large by Surefire standards almost c size.. I would not recomend it for EDC unless you wear a duty belt. I use it at work on the loading dock where it's size and simplicity are advantages. It's easy to find when I set it down and looks more like a normal light so hopefully it won't walk off. Hopefully the B90 battery will be fixed soon. However it's not a real big deal for me as I use the light daily. I am now saving for a E2O longer clip, 25 lumen lamp for a much longer run time and it will take the 60 lumen lamp. On sale for few bucks cheaper than a E2e at a few places on the web.

Skyline

Enlightened
I'd recommend the G2Z. You already have some LED lights which are just fine. What you need now is a really really bright Surefire. The E2e is about the same brightness as the Scorpion, whereas the G2Z gives you the P61 120 lumens option.

G2Z all the way.
grin.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
Two months ago I was in your exact same boat. I wound up ordering an E2e and KL1 from Texas Tactical and was thrilled with both. Then, a CPFer offered a great deal on a like-new 6P in shiny gunmetal gray . . . beautiful! I usually leave the KL1 on the E2e although I do switch it back n forth now and then.

My advice? The mantra of CPF! "Not OR, but AND!" Get'em both and you'll like 'em both! Watch the Buy/Sell/Trade section and you'll come across great opportunities -- just be ready to jump because good deals get snapped up fast around here.

Welcome and whatever you decide, enjoy.

Dave

ToddM

Enlightened
As for a first surefire I think the combo of a E2e and a M3 is a great setup. The M2 is great if you only want one light. I like the small EDC of the E2e and I find that once I got the E2e I carried it instead of the M2 and found that the M2 for me was too bulky and by the time I needed that much bulk in a light I was reaching for my M3 anyway.

If you can only have one I still think the E2e is the most practical for size and light output. There are brighter and bigger and certainly more expensive but overall for average person use the E2e is the ticket. The M3 is great but it's out of your price range.

The 6P is a great light and as you say very versatile in it's use. You can set it up with a LED option, rechargeable options, extend it's body to be a 9P and use 9 volt lamps in it. etc. etc. However by the time you sink all that $ into a 6P you'd still IMO be better served with a E2e and M3 combo.

Forget the A2 for now, it's again been pushed back till MARCH. In surefire time that's like 2006. It might be a great light but it's at least 3 months away for a product of unknown quality and specs. By the time the A2 actually comes out it may be nothing like what we have seen in the past protypes.

Todd

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies so far, you've given me a lot to think about. I think I've ruled out the E2e for now because it would be somewhat redundant in my collection since it throws about the same amount of light as my Scorpion, but isn't mush smaller, it is the best looking IMHO though. It'll have to wait. I'll probably get an E1 for EDC use eventually since I've seen them for under $40. I don't think I will be concerned wit the Surefire LED conversions since I have the Inova X5 and a couple other lesser LED lights that suffice (for now).

It looks like the A2 and M3 are out of my price range for now, although I'm thinking of stashing a little money away each month to save up for an M6, maybe I'll make it a Christmas present for myself this year.

To clarify my needs, I guess what I'm looking for is a super bright light in a small package for under $100. I won't be carrying it in my pants pocket all the time, so being ultra-compact isn't vital. It needs to be something that will outshine my PT Surge and Scorpion. For $65-70 I could get the G2 and P61 120 lumens lamp, but would sacrifice runtime. For about $105-110 I could get the 6P, A19, and P91 lamp which would give me 200 lumens, but for only 20 minutes or so. The light I'm leaning towards now is a 9P or D3. I found a place that still has 9P's for $75, and then I can get the P91 lamp if I need something brighter. Does this sound like will do what I need? Is there a brighter Surefire for under $100 than the 9P (with or without P91)?

-Keith

SurefireM6

Enlightened
The E2e is alot smaller than the scorpion. If you haven't noticed here on CPF already, the first reaction people have when they get the E2e is: "Wow this thing is small". You just can't appreciate the E2e on paper, looking at the specs. This thing is small!

You can get the Pyrex Glass lens fo the G2, and you can use lots of accessories like a High output lamp, KL3 LED head, Li-Ion Rechargeable kit, Ni-Cad rechargeable kit, A19 for 3 cell upgrade, Lanyard kit, turbo head etc etc. The G2 has much more options that the scorpion.

For what your looking for, the 6P with A19 would work. That way you can have the option of 65,105,120 and 200 lumen lamps. Remember to get the Pyrex glass lens for your 6P/9P if you want to run the High Output lamp so it won't melt.

The interchangeability and tons of accessories/options is what makes the SF line so great. When you buy an Inova or Scorpion thats it. No options and your stuck with the original specs.

However, once you one one SF be prepared to take out a second on you house because they are expensive!

Skyline

Enlightened
Does Surefire sell the Nitrolon Pyrex bezel now? How much?

By the time you buy a new bezel, lanyard, and LOTC for the G2... you've paid more than the price of a G2Z.

The G2Z offers Pyrex, LOTC, lanyard, and combat grip for $60. Add a P61 HOLA for $18. Not bad! Plus, it's Nitrolon and offers inherent shock protection not available with the stock E1/E2/6P/9P/D2/D3/Z2/Z3.

I've got the E1/K1, 6P, M2, M3, M6, and 10X, but the G2Z is my EDC. It's that good!

*G2Z fans unite!*
grin.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Yes, I've had Pyrex bezel for my G2's for awhile now. It's true that the G2Z is a bargain, but I hate Combat Grips. I like the straight body design of the G2 because 95%of the time I use the light with an overhand grip and the combat grip just bugs the $*(&#@$ out of me. I wish the M2 and M3 had the straight body option.

Skyline, how do you EDC the G2Z? Bezel down holster?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the following, in this order:

-E2O or E2E (I prefer the long clip of the E2O).
-MN02 if you get the E2E or MN03 if you get the E2O.
-KL1.
-E2C adapter.
-C2-HA bezel.
-P61 lamp assembly.
-P60 lamp assembly.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Originally posted by Aragorn:
The standard e2 is better than the e2e - just so you know.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The KL1 is kind of hard to EDC with the E2 because you lose the clip. And there is no option for a short clip on the E2. You can't use the TID with the E2 either.

Other than that I think it's a matter of preference, not that one is better than the other (Lexan vs Pyrex, course knurling vs soft kurling, Hex bezel vs round etc is preferential). The E2 is part of the discontinued list so if anyone wants one, better buy it soon. The Satin Grey and Black models will be hard to get soon too.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Aragorn:
The standard e2 is better than the e2e - just so you know.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have to agree with you on that. Although the E2e is technically better made, the E2 is easier to hold & carry and it's cheaper too.

I would recommend one of the E2's for your first Surefire. You can find the E2's reasonably priced. If not get the E2e or E2o.

You will love the small size of the E2(e)!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some comparison pics of the E2 vs other small lights like the Scorpion for instance, and from what I can tell, the E2 is pretty close in size to a AA MiniM*g, but about an inch shorter. Would this be an accurate way to describe the physical characteristics of the E2? Seeing the special at Tac Warehouse on the Tigerlight, I may end up getting that for my powerful light for now ($90 is kind hard to pass up), and maybe get one of the smaller Surefires.

-Keith

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what you've explained so far and staying around $75, one good choice would be a C3 in hard anodized for $79. You get the HA finish, the pyrex lense, a pocket clip, and 120 lumens for 1 hour with the P90. I would also eventually get a flip up beamshaper for it, and the P91 for 200 lumens.

I just got an E2O last week. It's great, much smaller than a 6P or scorpion. You can carry it in your back pocket all day and not even know it's there.

The tigerlight deal is really good too, I ordered one of the 11" ones.