Strion got wet.... uh, try to charge it anyway?

lifeissomething

Newly Enlightened
I took a tumble and ended up in a creek bed with my Station LED. Anyway, looks like the lens o-ring failed and it took on water. I didn't notice until dark, of course. I took it apart and let it dry for a few days. The battery terminals both have a little bit of surface rust. As well as the springs. (Which I'm sure I have a name.)

So I'm traveling this summer (in pittsburgh, pa until the wind blows) and my other lights in that size range were part of a backpack that got stolen in Kansas City. It happens I'm actually depending on this light, awesome.

Did I damage the battery? Should I put it on a charger?

I got the light from cabelas but I paid cash and if I had the receipt it would be 2500 miles away. Would cabelas take my word for it? Would they even replace it? I see the o-ring failing as a defect.

Mostly I'm thinking I should just try on a gfci outlet and if it doesn't charge or blows up then I'm out a light.

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
Really taking that Creeklight, err 'Streamlight' name literally aren't you! A failed gasket certainly sounds within the realms of a warranty claim. Streamlight's warranty suggests you contact an authorized service center for repair work on this light.

Read this FAQ for info on getting your light serviced: http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/faq/default.html

You did the best thing possible removing the battery and taking the light apart to dry out. If water has gotten inside the light I wouldn't recommend trying to use it, for risk of causing further damage which the warranty may or may not cover.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id put the thing in a bag of rice and prt all the parts dry
Same as a cellphone dropped in a drink method
Dissassemble it as far as your comfortable and let the dry rice soak up the moisture

I would call the closest Cabella's and ask them if they'll cover it before you even bother with the rice.
write down the name of who you talk too, if they say they'll replace it, and then make your way over.
If they say no way, then try and dry it could, clean rust off contacts and try er out

Last edited:

lifeissomething

Newly Enlightened
Looks like there is an authorized service center here in Pittsburgh. Gonna see what they say. Looks like I need a special tool to seat the lens o-ring correctly, although I haven't tried too hard, since I think it should be replaced. I highly doubt the circuity is fried. 6 volts isn't enough to destroy it's self. I've seen iphones that were submerged for two weeks be taken apart and saved with a q-tip and contact cleaner. I just worry about about batteries after seeing things like this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/951360_.html (Yes I know that was a highly different situation/battery setup/chemistry. Doesn't stop me from worrying.)

The Streamlight Factory is not to far from Philly. If they don't help me at this service center (a battery place) I'll wonder over there. I'm vaguely headed to NY next so it's not too far away. Back in Washington state I tend to buy SOG knives and Milwaukee tools because the SOG factory and the Milwaukee repair center both have really good service when you show up in person. SOG replaced a Twitch XL that wasn't opening as nicely as I felt it should, even though it was obvious I had been using it as a chisel and beating on it with a framing hammer. They even gave me a different blade design as per my suggestion.

If that doesn't work I'm just gonna plug the damn thing in.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep battery malfunctions can happen, your cell probably won't do that, but if it grounds out at the wrong spot do to water (this is a guess) it could fuse some stuff in the charger circuitry (fire next to battery could cause the bottle rocket effect) lithium are hard to get to the RunAway State, once there there you run