EagleTac 3400mah 18650 with Nitecore p25 or SRT7

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone successfully used the EagleTac 3400mah 18650 with a Nitecore SRT7? From the images it looks like the button may not protrude enough for the unique contacts of this light. Thanks!

511asW2navL_zpsa3c3d591.jpg

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I haven't got an SRT7 but I'd assume it's protection would be similar to my ec25 and one of my 3400s will work while the other one won't. The buttons don't stick out hardly at all on those. The one that won't work is due to the very thing wrapper being ever so slightly curled at the edge of it. The button sticks up so little that I'd almost consider them flat top batteries.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Bumping up to the top. I also am interested in the answer to the OP's question and am hoping to see if there is some more info out there.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question and you can find different answers from different people on CPF. Some have no problems with a 3400mah battery and others do. My 3100mah works flawless. It physically should be the same cell. The top looks the same. Here is a quote from Selfbuilts' review of the SRT7
"Flat-top cells will not work in the light. And even among small button top cells, you will need to have a significant protrusion. UPDATE: I originally reported that my relatively short button-top Eagletac 3400mAh cells didn't work in the light, but they do seem to be working now. I suspect these cells are right at the border of what the contact plate in the head with accept, so you may experience some intermittent issues with these particular cells on some lights."
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS
qy9ejyzu.jpg

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I have a question about this exact issue, in such circumstances when you have a flat top cell and you do the battery trick (where you put a magnet on top of the flat top) is there any danger of that magnet screwing with the electronics of the light?

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone successfully used the EagleTac 3400mah 18650 with a Nitecore SRT7? From the images it looks like the button may not protrude enough for the unique contacts of this light. Thanks!
I just put a EagleTac 3400mah into my SRT7 and it works fine.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Doesn't the SRT7 spring-loaded impact absorption system ensure contact with different batts? The only reason I didn't go for EagleTac myself is that I got a loyalty reduction on the 3200 mA Nitecore batts from the distributor here. I'm such a noob I reckon I won't notice the difference!

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question about this exact issue, in such circumstances when you have a flat top cell and you do the battery trick (where you put a magnet on top of the flat top) is there any danger of that magnet screwing with the electronics of the light?

I am not sure, but my guess is the magnet would be too weak. My Sunwayman gets all strange putting a powerful magnet near the " magnetic control ring".

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Bumping up to the top. I also am interested in the answer to the OP's question and am hoping to see if there is some more info out there.

Now that I have a battery in hand, I can answer my own comment posted above...

Today I received two Eagletac 18650s (blue-wrapper 2500 mAh and green wrapper 3400mAh) for use in my Nitecore SRT6. No issues with the 2500, as expected. However, the flatter button on the 3400 was not initially compatible with the SRT6 (i.e. it was too short to make contact). So I very, very gingerly pried the button upward a very slight amount using a small flathead screwdriver. It now makes contact and the light operates normally. To make sure contact was solid, I turned on the light, gave it a good shake and observed no flickering.

I need to emphasize just how little prying was used - it was the smallest amount to be visually perceptible, perhaps 0.1 mm - 0.2 mm. Just relating my experience, and your mileage may vary. Your light/button spacing may be greater than mine and this solution may not work for you. Pry with caution!

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I bought a couple of EagleTac 3400s with my Nitecore SRT7 and they work flawlessly with mine. I was initially worried, after reading selfbuilt's review. For those who don't understand the problem, the positive contact is recessed in a ring-shaped standoff, which may pose a problem for Erm... flatter than usual flat tops or thicker than usual wrappers at the terminal.

I suppose, as mentioned before, the manufacturing tolerances of both the battery contact and the battery both add to the possibility of contact problems. Prying a Lithium ion battery is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Last edited: