Cloudy head???

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
I have a few LED lights that got cloudy or foggy on the business end, it seems like some sort of condensation, but I am not sure. It is usually Fenixes and Jetbeams, but none of my surefires suffer this phenomenon. Dunno why.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inside of the lense can mist/fog up as the reflector heats up and the coolest place is the inside of the glass contacting the cooler air outside. I find that its worst with high power lights with larger lenses and on a cold night especially with direct airflow onto the lense e.g. when running with it.

TIR lights don't have the same problem as there's hardly any air inside the head.

harro

Enlightened
I have a few LED lights that got cloudy or foggy on the business end, it seems like some sort of condensation, but I am not sure. It is usually Fenixes and Jetbeams, but none of my surefires suffer this phenomenon. Dunno why.

I've had that problem with a few torches. My easy fix was to find an old silica gel packet ( like the ones Jetbeam are so fond of stuffing into everything ) and placing it in the head of the offending torch. Leave it in there for a few cycles, then remove and try not to be opening head end of light unless necessary. I know sometimes this is not possible with small edc's etc, but thats where you need to improvise.

Ohh, BTW, you can re-activate silica to a certain extent by placing it in a low temp oven for a while. Just make sure its not in a plastic bag. I just place the beads on an oven tray, then when finished drying, tip them back into a little home-made linen pouch with tie-top.:wave:

Last edited: