Adam Savage mods a jetbeam flashlight

nightshade

Enlightened
Adam Savage JetBeam E3S mod

Adam making the E3S switch proud :). I work with a lot of machinists from around the world, this is a giggle for them. I met Adam very briefly when he was just a face in the crowd. I think what you see is what you get. Due to my job, I meet way too many "un-nice" folks with a feeling of total entitlement. Adam Savage was not one of those people.
But, whatever... sorry if this has been posted already or is in the wrong forum.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456359-inside-adam-savages-cave-hacking-flashlight-adams-edc/

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adam Savage JetBeam E3S mod

hah, neat-o!

I saw a recent mythbusters where they busted the supposed myth about how leaving your lights on is more energy efficient than turning them off when you aren't using them. (Never heard that one, can't believe they had to test it...) Grant was spazzing out about an LED lightbulb, but it was a crazy tiered circuit board stack with 5mm LEDs all around. Adam should have busted in and made him test a better bulb!

Enlightened

That asian guy is the most awkward person ive ever seen.

Norm

Retired Administrator

That asian guy is the most awkward person ive ever seen.

Grant Imahara, one of my favourite cast members.

8973399626_3363d79cd2_m.jpg

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator

The sidekick in this video identifies himself as "Norm", if I heard correctly. Much more hesitant than Grant is.
:oops: I didn't actually view the video, too busy sorting out other forum matters.

Norm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've met him a few times in S.F. Super nice person. I've always wanted to learn machining skills like that...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm: I was just commenting because you and he had the same name. This place is massive, I don't know how you mods do it! Speed read much? ;-)

Yeah, Mr. Savage strikes me as a nice guy. Mr. Hyneman, however, strikes me as one of those nice people that folks just assume is a grouch because of a bit of gruffness and terseness.

Chicago X

Enlightened
I guess he is not a fan of clips on his lights, since he removed the screw holes entirely.

A more reversible mod would have been to machine a new switch button cover to the desired height, but that would have been more work.

PS: Hey Adam, you may want to have one of the myth-terns clean out the chip pan...it's pretty full !

papershredder

Newly Enlightened
I've met him a few times in S.F. Super nice person. I've always wanted to learn machining skills like that...

Well, he did a few things I don't recommend: wearing long sleeves and reaching into the lathe while it was turning...

The light is 304 stainless, which does work harden.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That was fun to watch.

Adam is definitely not a machinist. I cringe every time he uses that lathe. He does things like mounting a pumpkin on the metal lathe to make it rounder. I noticed that in this video he did many things that were unsafe. I'm glad that he's inspiring kids, but hope they learn to do things the right way.

Daniel

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fascinating vid.

Adam is still rocking that Omega Planet Ocean chronograph. Would love to see the rest of the lights in his collection.

Latest posts