Quick question for HDS led swap....

eightbitpotion

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've searched everywhere for this answer and can't seem to figure it out. Bare with me, I know this is going to sound REALLY dumb...

I'm wanting to swap the led in my EDC 170, because I am carrying much more efficient lights simply because of the higher cri of them, and some of them because they are more efficient. In a nutshell, I haven't carried my Ra in almost two years. However, even though it's slightly bigger, it is probably the light I'd go to if I had to pick "one light to trust my life to" because of its reliability, and the locator beacon is nice too.

TL;DR: I love the electronics of my EDC, but hate the green GD LED. I want to swap it.

So here's my question: do I buy the Nichia 219 emitter by itself, or do I buy it with the 20mm star board? I can soldier anything really, but would like the easiest solution. I'd be willing to go with a less CRI in trade for much higher efficiency, but I don't even know where to start. Any direction would be highly appreciated.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally, to miss the driver leads entering the emitter area you need a 14mm board or less. Is it the newer ACME threads or older Legacy?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Golden Dragon LED, your best bet would be to use an 8mm XP-E board from the Sandwich Shoppe. The Nichia 219 will fit the board perfectly. It is also the right height for a perfectly focused LED.

Remove the stock LED, break off the 4 posts that held the LED in place and grind them flush. Use a thin layer of thermal epoxy to seat the LED board (watch the polarity), and center the LED in the reflector. Removing the o-ring from the reflector makes this step much easier. Let the epoxy cure, and solder leads from the LED board to the existing leads. If your solder joints are smooth and clean, the reflector won't be in danger of shorting on the leads. That is your only real worry with this mod. Good luck with the mod. You'll have this thing back to EDC duty in no time.