Flashlights being used by Military.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
d_clark,
The MX991/U anglehead flashlight, yeah...it has possibly the worst beam I have ever seen in a flashlight. Let Wayne at Elektrolumens throw in a Luxeon Star 1.25 watt LED, a voltage regulator and a Fraen optic...it turns into one of my favorite lights.
I might be able to test it out next spring

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 of those anglehead flashlights, and I don't think the beam is anywhere near the worst I've ever seen. The main problem with it, I think, is the fact that the bulbs that were in mine were standard vacuum bulbs. I replaced them with a krypton bulb and that brightened them up a bit. The beam on mine is now relatively smooth. The reflector looks like it's just polished aluminum, so it disperses the beam a little bit more than a "chromed-style" one. I tried my Everled in it. Not bad. It's a durable light, too.

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
I was supposed to be going over in early Jan, My unit got called up, but I wasn't on the list (long Story). I was going to take several lights, but not one of the anglehead lights. Guess I'll just play with them here.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
While serving in the Navy's Aviation Field we had gray two "D" Cell flashlights I think made by Eveready, they were really cheaply made. The lights would constantly fall off the top of a fuselage or wing surface to land on the steel or concrete deck and it usually ended it's short military service. So bback in the tool room as it would be replaced and the tool room would discard the damaged light. If the Grey Flashlight never saw maintenance on Naval Aircraft the switches would always manage to get dinged up and quit working. Another trip to the tool room we go. The U.S. Government and us Tax Payers really got taken on that contract along with the toilets and what have you...

Tomas

Banned
When I was in the USAF my issued lights were a WW II vintage anglehead and a couple of Eveready 2AA penlights ...

These days I EDC order-of-magnitude better lights.

T_sig6.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I can't understand why anyone likes those angleheads, even Wayne J's version. They are uncomfortable to hold, have lousy switches and weigh a ton. Wayne fixes the crappy light beam, but the other problems remain. I do like the idea of a regulated 2D 1W Luxeon light with super long runtime, but I'd much rather start with something like a Kohler Brightstar industrial light instead of the military anglehead.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check posts Active members use a myriad of lights. Surefire and Streamlight being the most common. With custom lights and drop ins( Waynes samiches) second place by Members.

zorba

Enlightened
I used to have an anglehead while doing my National Service. It broke in my second week as a soldier. Then I got a solitaire which lasted my whole 18 months of it. BUT, back then, I used to consider M$Gs to be the dog s dangling bits...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
zorba, greece has compulsary military service as well? the lights issued here by the military are anglehead 2Ds as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zorba

Enlightened
Yes, there is a compulsory service, but now is 12 months instead of 18 that I served. The light was not issued to me, but I bought it instead. The government have us believe that the greek army is very poor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's short...over here its 30 months (two and a half years) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif . i'll definitely be prepared when i serve my time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
In Finland we also have compulsory service. Our tour of duty is 6-12 months. Medics and MPs serve 9 months and for officers and NCOs it is 12 months. Flashlight was not issued to us so most of us carried minimags.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like singapore's national service is exceptionally long...it started out being 9 months but they kept increasing it. anyway if i carried my minimag, it would definitely be modded with an opalec newbeam, at the bare minimum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
When i was in (1989 -1993) the issue light was the POS Angle head. Most Marines carried a Mini-mag then.

TheFire

Enlightened
wow, glad I don't have to look forward to compulsory service... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr,
I used the Anglehead with red filter for the year I was in Korea. The goodness of the Anglehead was it clipped to the flak vest and I drop tested it all the time. It went through monsoon season without leaking and worked well except for the crappy bulb.
The Elektrolumens Anglelux anglehead takes care of the brightness, beam quality and beam color problem handily. Now, I have a light that will clip to a vest/belt, shines for over 24 hours of regulation, is water resistant, does not clang around like a metal light (or conduct electricity) has filters in the tail and it looks like a regular anglehead. That is, until you look what is inside the lens or turn it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
The Elektrolumens Anglelux is to the military anglehead as a BB500 R2H Fraen LP Kroll minimag is to a regular minimag. It is nice to have a "sleeper" flashlight at times.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bentheadTX: how much did the anglelux cost you? i'm considering getting one as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif