Olight M10 and M18 Maverick review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight M10 and M18 Maverick

Olight has been ramping things up in recent months with a number of new models and model lines. Are these new lights all show and no go, or is there some substance to all the flash?

Olight Mavericks

Meat and Potatoes

Olight's new Maverick series is what I would consider a Tactical EDC lineup. Allow me to clarify. These are very EDC sized lights (small, narrow, and not aggressively styled) but with some of the features that are most often reserved for lights bearing the "Tactical" moniker.

Small and powerful is the order of the day when it comes to LED flashlights lately. Especially those from well known manufacturers such as Olight. It has become somewhat of a disappointment if any light has "only" 200 lumens or less anymore. This is an incredible shocker to me since I so clearly remember when LED flashlights were commonly topping out at 40-50 lumens and it took a monster incandescent to break 100. These Mavericks are definitely stepping up to the plate though. The M10 is cranking out a huge 350 lumens out of its single CR123A and the 2 cell M18 boasts an impressive 500 lumens. These comply with the ANSI FL1 standard too, so you know you're getting all of it. Thankfully both of these lights support 16340 Li-ion cells and the M18 is capable of running off from a single 18650 so it isn't necessary to empty your wallet to keep these torches fed.

Olight Mavericks

These impressive output numbers are made possible by the use of Cree's XM-L2 LED. Sitting at the base of a sub-1″ smooth polished reflector, the large dies in these Mavericks put out a surprisingly narrow beam. This goes against conventional wisdom, and really is a testament to the engineers who developed this reflector geometry. Now, these aren't throwers by any stretch, but the beams are definitely less floody than you would expect. Thankfully, the beams are also quite smooth and relatively artifact free, resulting in a beautifully usable beam.

Cree XM-L2

User interface is something that Olight has been consciously tweaking for the last several years. Their Warrior line has undergone a number of unique iterations before landing on the rather nice setup we've seen in the latest M22 Warrior. The UI of the Mavericks feels like a variation of that theme. Instead of twisting the head to select the memorized mode though, Olight has a beautifully crisp electronic side switch reminiscent of their S– Baton series. Actual light switching occurs by pressing the standard style forward clicky tailcap button (without crenellations!). The first click or momentary activation brings up your memorized mode. While the light is on, the side switch cycles the light between Low, Medium, and High modes (in that order) and pressing and holding it brings up the mostly hidden strobe. Everything here functions exactly as you expect and is really a simple operation. That's not where Olight stops though. if you grab your light and are quickly in need of full power, simply give the tailcap a half press before clicking it all the way on. This second, rapid-fire activation brings up High output right from off, regardless of what mode you have memorized. As a bonus, it doesn't even reassign the mode memory so the next time you turn the light on, it's right where you left it. A third quick tap during startup brings you straight to Strobe mode so that is still nearly instantly accessible, despite being tucked far enough out of your way to avoid accidental activation.

As far as tucked away goes though, I did manage to discover something that as far as I can tell is an undocumented feature. When you turn the flashlight on and then press and hold the side switch, it is a second method of activating strobe mode. With strictly the M18 though, if you turn the light off in this particular strobe mode, it reassigns the light to more of a true tactical layout. Every time you activate the light, it starts in strobe, with only one other mode (high) available using quick presses on the tailcap. Cycling through modes using the side switch will revert it back to the standard 3 outputs with mode memory.

Constructive Criticism

Fit and finish remains one of OIight's strong points. These torches might not possess the flashy narcissism (Hey! Look at me!) of some flashlights, but they have a subtle refinement to their aesthetics that makes them look good. The machinework and anodizing all appear to be up to typical Olight snuff as well, eschewing sharp edges for appropriate bevels and chamfers. Why then am I listing this under the critiquing section? One simple reason. The thickness of the body walls. While not particularly awful on the M10 that is designed strictly for a 16mm cell, it is still a little thinner than most lights I've seen. The real downfall is the M18. Since its body was bored wider to accommodate the 18mm rechargeable cells, it has walls so thin I can't help but think it will be a detriment to longevity. It's a shame too, since other portions of the lights really look like they could take a beating. The stainless steel bezel ring with it's small subtle crenellations has a rugged beauty about it and looks to be significantly more durable than the body it's attached to.

Thin is in

Both of these two lights come not with holsters, but only with steel pocket clips. I personally am a big fan of a quality holster, but I usually am still willing to give clips a test rather than ignore them out of hand. The clips on the Mavericks are an interesting blend of "just right" and "almost, but not quite". Both lights have a fantastically tensioned deep carry clip. I personally wish that the clips were not just the snap-on attachment type, rather a more solid method of some sort, but they do manage to be the most reliable of this variety that I have yet tried. The biggest downfall of these clips is the oddball metal tab halfway up the clip spine. I am not really sure what this tab is useful for, but I do know that it hampers clipping it onto anything thicker than a single layer of cloth. Forget getting it placed well onto a thick leather belt. I have found myself using the clips rather than searching through my arsenal for a decent holster, but I still wish they functioned just a little better.

Conclusions

Honestly these little lights have quickly become some of my favorite lights in this class. Small, sleek, bright, and very easy to use. Their intuitive interface is incredibly easy to get the hang of, and well spaced outputs give you an excellent balance between power and efficiency. If we could find just a little better clip design it would make things just that much better, but they aren't far off now.

Olight Mavericks

Provided for review by the kind folks at GoingGear.

SilentK

Enlightened
I can't believe no one has commented on this review yet! I really like how the M18 is a slightly scaled down and EDC capable version of the M22. Fantastic review and pictures! :)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
AardvarkSagus,this is a great review!:)

Nice pics and the text is easy to read filled with good info.

I like both the M10 and M18,but i wished that they had direct access to lowest mode from off just like the S10 and S20,and i think that there should also be a moonlight mode as well. However,there might be a solution to this. If one doubleclick the tailswitch and then get direct access to highest mode and turn it of,does it still memorize the last before used mode ? If one had the lowest mode(5lumens) and then doubleclick the tailswitch to reach the highest mode,does the M10 and M18 have the lowest mode in memory when turning it of and on again?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, thanks for the compliments! I really had fun with these.

@NorthernStar: I keep mine memorized in low mode and very often use the doubleclick to access high. That does not overwrite your memorized low mode so the next time you turn the light on it will still be in low. Makes for a very easily usable 2 mode light, with the optional 3rd level available with a slight change of grip. It's very well implemented if you ask me.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the compliments! I really had fun with these.

@NorthernStar: I keep mine memorized in low mode and very often use the doubleclick to access high. That does not overwrite your memorized low mode so the next time you turn the light on it will still be in low. Makes for a very easily usable 2 mode light, with the optional 3rd level available with a slight change of grip. It's very well implemented if you ask me.

AardvarkSagus,thank´s for the info!

I have another question i hope you could answer.On both the S10 and the S20 are common to having greenish tints at the lowest modes. My S20 have greenish tint at the two lowest modes. I know that the M10 and the M18 does not have the same diod as the S20 and the S10,but i would like to know if the M10 and M18 have greenish tints at the lowest mode?

Monkeyman69

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great reviews. I have read you reviews for a while and they very well written. I never bothered signing up to the forums but as I am becoming addicted to the new style CREE LED flashlight I have decided to sign up lol. I have an S10 but I was thinking about upgrading to the M18 as it is a true 500 Lumen light and 'I would use it to look in small inspection panels on aircraft, The larger bezeled M22 I have can be a pain to position at times but it is all bright as hell with is nice for inspecting certain things.

Phry

Banned
Thanks for the review. I like the 18650 version of these lights from Olight.

Should be noted though that the 500 lumen output drops off a lot after ten minutes or so. ANSI ratings being misleading.

Also, those clips are complete junk IMO. They scratch the light if you try to remove them. They are not strong enough and are a horrible shape.

Olight, get your clips in order!

I prefer more the screw on type from Zebralight or HDS etc...

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always preffered the screw on clips myself too, and I don't know what's up with that extra bump in the middle, but honestly, I have had no trouble with these. I carried this light for quite a while using just the clip on my belt with no issues. Good vs. good enough I guess.

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
Im planning on buying this light. I have bought a couple of low quality 18650 lights and I want to get something good.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im planning on buying this light. I have bought a couple of low quality 18650 lights and I want to get something good.
Honestly, I never actually carried this light with a holster. I don't really have any holsters that didn't come with another light. I've not really looked around yet at aftermarket holsters.

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Been carrying the m18 for a few weeks now. It replaced the 5.11 atac plx as my edc light. Not to put too fine a point on it... I freakin love it.

It came with 2 123s which have since been replaced with an 18650. The UI is simple and plenty of brightness for me. I find the clip to be excellent as well. The tail switch is quite proud, which I love as well. Have not had one accidental activation. Could not be happier with this light!

Chowser

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to toss in that I've been carrying the M10 for a few months now at work and it is a very nice small backup light on the duty belt. It's brighter than the old Maglite that's still in our cruisers and brighter than the TLR-1 C4 on my duty weapon.

I got the M10 since I started working days (when I was on nights the past few years, I was carrying my old OLight M20). I don't pocket clip it, but have a small belt holster from one of my old Fenix lights that fits the M10 and even after running through the woods and climbing into windows, I have not lost the light.

I just ordered the M18 tactical package (not sure it's released yet, I was told some were coming in today and I should get it soon) and will mount it to my SBR and let you guys know how it holds up to 5.56 recoil. Obviously, I'll do some full-auto tests on it as well. :)

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to toss in that I've been carrying the M10 for a few months now at work and it is a very nice small backup light on the duty belt. It's brighter than the old Maglite that's still in our cruisers and brighter than the TLR-1 C4 on my duty weapon.

I got the M10 since I started working days (when I was on nights the past few years, I was carrying my old OLight M20). I don't pocket clip it, but have a small belt holster from one of my old Fenix lights that fits the M10 and even after running through the woods and climbing into windows, I have not lost the light.

I just ordered the M18 tactical package (not sure it's released yet, I was told some were coming in today and I should get it soon) and will mount it to my SBR and let you guys know how it holds up to 5.56 recoil. Obviously, I'll do some full-auto tests on it as well. :)

My m18 holds up to the recoil of my 5.56 very well. Tho, i dont have full auto fire :rolleyes:

Chowser

Newly Enlightened
OK, the mount is a little weird. It has screw on knobs which I can't really tighten down (i like to crank my stuff down with an allen wrench), but it seems to hold. For some reason, I could not get the M18 to fit in the mount as it was from the factory. I had to rip off one side of the cushion foam that they have glued on. After that, it fits fine. I didn't like the tailcap switch portion. The switch (and cord) are too thick to fit any of my wiring accessories. I could never get use to tape switches anyway, so it's not a big loss. I have it mounted with the regular tailcap. I just activate it with my thumb.

I only did two 60rnd full auto mag dumps with the light on and it didn't come loose or flicker. I then moved it to the same position on my personal rifle. My only issue which is not OLight's fault is that it is long being a two cell it sticks forward. I have the AAC 51T Blackout mount and after shooting 30 rounds, the front of the light started getting dirty. I'm wondering if I swap in my M10 if this can be avoided?

I'll take a pic in a minute and show you what I'm talking about.

q26i.jpg

That's as far back as I can mount it and still work the switch with my thumb.

I might just toss the M10 on there until I get my suppressor. Once the suppressor goes on, the M18 can go back on and I won't have to worry about it getting dirty.

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Great lookin rifle setup ya got there. Mine is not SBR so the lens fouling issue has no come up for me.

Probably a good idea to switch back to the shorter light till you get the suppressor in place.

Glad the light is working out pretty well for you. The m18 is my primary duty light as well, and I have a second one for my AR.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really sweet to see this light being used as a duty light. I love that rifle setup Chowser. I'm even more impressed with the M18 hearing it being put to more rigorous use than I can give it. Thanks for the real-world updates!

Latest posts