Love my Quarks

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Ive been carrying various Quarks, EDC style for about a year now. I really like them ...no problems ...and I love to see that the company is actively involved in this forum. :thumbsup:

dscn0485qz.jpg

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks turned me on to efficiency, low lumens (esp. moonlight mode), and the full range of battery chemistries and I've been trying everything in that space trying to beat them..... I haven't been successful yet.

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
My Quark is always by my bed. No matter who last touched it, or how I push the on switch, it always comes on low so I never get blinded. I love the tank like looks. Incredibly efficient so batteries last a long time. No fancy twist rings that drain away power. The power levels are perfect, I reeally do not need 800 lumens for most tasks, however i do have an Olight S80 for when I do need that level of power. The whole hysteria about preflash never bothered me, I prefer knowing I can run on low for months.

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened
...and I love to see that the company is actively involved in this forum. :thumbsup:

Please don't misunderstand me. I have seven Quarks and I like them a lot. I've given several others as gifts. But the company's involvement in this forum only extends to acknowledging positive comments and they brook no criticism no matter how minor.

Several months ago I responded to a thread on this forum started by another member who was complaining about the 47s "new and improved" website. He, and others, had experienced a number of problems trying to place orders and I had had similar problems, especially during sales promotions. I also started a new thread in the 47s Marketplace subforum asking them to please fix their website. Their response: within a matter of hours both the original thread on CPF proper and my new thread on the MP were gone, never to be seen again.

Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, both concerning 47s and CPF itself. I haven't ordered a Quark since, although I have purchased several other lights from other manufacturers.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their response: within a matter of hours both the original thread on CPF proper and my new thread on the MP were gone, never to be seen again.

Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, both concerning 47s and CPF itself. I haven't ordered a Quark since, although I have purchased several other lights from other manufacturers.

no hard feelings man, CPF is the home and birth of 4Sevens afaik, so we should respect and not criticize.

got a bad taste myself now. had too many sweets today lol. candy, chocolate and stuff. time to brush the tongue, erh and teeth :whistle:

i have Quark and Penlight and it's all great stuff. maybe the anodization is weak, but why nit pick, flashlight are tools!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Preon and Mini's but so far nothing from 4/7 that is more high end and I have no plans to go there either really.

Are the Quark any different in terms of fit and finish or just more of the same as the lights of theirs that I already have?
I know they seem to have an almost fanatical following but so far I do not see why?

Not trying to be nasty,I really want to know?

Thanks
Ed

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
well I dont know...I guess their different in the fact that they are willing to go out of their way to address warranty claims here on CPF.
Different in that they are constantly upgrading emitters..
Different in that they are legoable...
...and they can handle lithium rechargeables (4.2, 9v operating voltage)
...and they dont cost a fortune like ...(I better not say it)...
and they're built very well...Ive taken one apart. (yeah I wrecked it)
Great company it seems like. Im new to cpf...so Im not really familiar with the censorship of certain posts about certain companies...but it does seem like thats not really tolerated here. I think many people like cpf, because its somewhat of a civilized, professional environment. :thumbsup:

Overclocker thats an amazing photo btw. Thanks for everyone participating ...in this kinda, nothing better to do thread.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I've owned a few 4sevens lights, every one had serious UI or build quality problems. I wish I understood why people like them.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a few 4sevens lights, every one had serious UI or build quality problems. I wish I understood why people like them.

That has been my experience too although as I thought I was clear before in stating,only with the more entry level models so far.

My question specifically was are the Quark better than the Preon or Mini lines I have tried or just bigger and more flexible and powerful but made with the same attention to detail as the Preon and Mini stuff.

As an example I find the Fenix lights to be of a uniformly higher quality of fit and finish so far,again noting that I have not tried more expensive 4/7 stuff.

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Carrying a Preon 2 for the last couple of weeks. In my opinion the Quark line is better than the Mini or the Preon line. I just got my Preon 2 a while ago and find it usefull because its super floody. The Quarks and the minis have at least twice as much throw. Preon 2 is very usefull at upclose range, or to light up the entire room.

dscn0478b.jpg

Eventually I will retire it to my first aid kit or something. It seems usefull for that.

jcw122

Enlightened
Foursevens is the only brand I trust enough to gift to a friend. They have great quality, a 10-year warranty, and no-nonsense interfaces (Tactical).

I'm very glad they came along just as I was getting into lights. I also love that they work incredibly well on CRAAs!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preons and Minis are only rated to 3Vs, and have limited Lego-ability, use PWM on their lower modes, and on my MA examples, don't meet their lumen specs (according to my light meter)...... except for the Penlight, of course, which I also find a big step up.

Quarks have moonlight mode, are current controlled throughout, can be tailored/lego'd with different heads, battery tubes, clickies, clips etc. to suit specific needs, and will efficiently run any cell from 0.9v-4.2v with full regulation (ie, all lower mode at spec) - which is a real rarity in the flashlight world. I love tuning the performance of my light based on the grade of "gas" and size of "tank" I choose to use.

I won't argue that 47s has the nicest build quality, or UI, and Quarks can have their own set of issues (pre-flash, long reset, inducer whine, tint, etc) but I personally find them to be very tough (and field serviceable), and even if some sample are not, I trust this company, more than any other Chinese manufacturer, to fix it quickly and locally, with minimal hassles, and for a long, long time.

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Preons and Minis are only rated to 3Vs, and have limited Lego-ability, use PWM on their lower modes, and on my MA examples, don't meet their lumen specs (according to my light meter)...... except for the Penlight, of course, which I also find a big step up.

Quarks have moonlight mode, are current controlled throughout, can be tailored/lego'd with different heads, battery tubes, clickies, clips etc. to suit specific needs, and will efficiently run any cell from 0.9v-4.2v with full regulation (ie, all lower mode at spec) - which is a real rarity in the flashlight world. I love tuning the performance of my light based on the grade of "gas" and size of "tank" I choose to use.

I won't argue that 47s has the nicest build quality, or UI, and Quarks can have their own set of issues (pre-flash, long reset, inducer whine, tint, etc) but I personally find them to be very tough (and field serviceable), and even if some sample are not, I trust this company, more than any other Chinese manufacturer, to fix it quickly and locally, with minimal hassles, and for a long, long time.

well said...

edpmis02

Enlightened
I got spoiled getting them at half price during their "rebranding" sale. Got several Turbos and XML lights for about $40 each.

My first good lights were Fenix's (back when David Chow sold Fenix) then moved to Quarks when they were introduced. Loved the variety and legoabilty. except for the different emitters.. nothing much has changed in five years since they no longer offer neutral/warm versions, and no 18650 battery tubes. I understand the "return on investment" needs for such offers.. but it has put a damper on my excitement for the brand. I already have a lifetime supply of lights, but my last few purchases have been Fenix. E35 (cheap 18650 thrower) and a PD32 UE (neutral XML 18650 tactical). Still like the simplicity of the Quark tactical series.. just wish it would freshen it up.. I passed up a recent $45 Quark Turbo XML I saw from a vendor.. Yawn!

chazz

Enlightened
I keep hoping the Mini line of lights will get updated to Constant Current Regulation, and get away from the PWM. I would probably buy a couple more if/when that happens especially if they have a neutral option, I just hope they don't change the l-m-h interface on them. They could also make the split ring attachment point a little more heavy duty. My Mini MA is still my most used light for EDC. :)

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I've got the three 47 lights; low voltage tactical warm with several bodies, mini single AA HCRI, Preon 2 HCRI...

My initial draw was the simple fact that I could get a warm led with a good UI as I hate multi mode lights. I like the three that I have but my only big attraction to them is the tint that they have.

I do have some issues that I live with but really the only one I carry anymore is the mini. Its in my pocket everyday but rarely ever gets used. when I go to use it the modes don't work properly on the first cycle, after cycling through once they work properly.

The preon switch doesn't give a great feeling and the tactical that I have works great when tightened (high) but when I lossen it sometimes it will lose contact.

Last edited:

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first Foursevens delivered today. Mini AA.

Sent from my KFOT using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've been routinely pocket carrying and using a Quark X 123^2 Tactical for a little over a year now, and although the ano seems to be taking a beating...the light still performs without fail...and I've dropped mine, not intentionally, more times than I care to remember. It's not the brightest, it's not the smallest, and doesn't have the best UI, but this Quark seems to find its way in my pocket more often than not. And no pre-flash on my sample.