Want to patina my copper maratac's

rsb563

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyway to carefully remove the LED heads from the copper shell? I want to manually patina my 123 and AA but don't want to submit the head electronics to high heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JCD

Enlightened
Is there anyway to carefully remove the LED heads from the copper shell? I want to manually patina my 123 and AA but don't want to submit the head electronics to high heat.

Won't urinating on the light work? It doesn't require disassembly and won't risk voiding the warranty. (I would argue that patience is an even better option.)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anyway to carefully remove the LED heads from the copper shell? I want to manually patina my 123 and AA but don't want to submit the head electronics to high heat...

There is a very old recipe for cleaning brass and copper that would work to oxidize it, too.

Scrub the metal with a cut lime and salt. This will remove all oxidation. If you wanted it shiny, stop right there and rinse it off.

If you want more oxidation DO NOT RINSE -- just watch it become more and more oxidized until it gets to where you want it -- THEN RINSE. You may go all the way from SHINY to BLACK with this method, depending on when you rinse.

There is lots about it on line.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light is waterproof so leaving it in a safe place out in the elements for awhile would give the aging process a nice boost without having to dismantle the light. Of course, you could try Sub Umbra's suggestion as there are indeed chemicals to speed the oxidation process along. I would agree with JCD though and just be patient. First of all, you'll likely end up with a more handsome and natural looking finish, but also, the process of observing the transition of the shiny copper to an aged patina is part of the enjoyment. It can be like planting a seed and waiting for the flower to bloom.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a copper light myself and dipped it in vinegar. after sitting it out it started to get some green tarnish on it in some spots, but it wiped right off. I might try it again and let it set a little longer and see what happens.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
bW3906B.jpg

Copper "torch" with a nice patina.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal handling removes the green patina, leaving a dark bronze finish. To have a green patina look, you'll have to patina the whole light and somehow seal the surface with a transparent covering. Epoxy?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some interesting patina "recipes" for achieving various colors and finishes on brass, bronze and copper at this link. See also.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I've advocated for letting the copper finish tarnish naturally, there's this recipe to try too! If anyone tries this please report back with your results!

Clean the copper piece with a mild dish detergent and rinse the soap off thoroughly. Remove soap, oils and film from the copper. Wipe and pat the copper item dry with a soft cloth.

Prepare a solution consisting of 1 qt. (1 liter) of water, 1 tbsp. (14 g) of salt, 1 tbsp. (14 g) of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and 1 oz. (30 ml) of household ammonia. Alternatively, use an acid solution as an alternative to ammonia. To prepare an acid solution, mix 1 qt. (1 liter) of water, 1 tbsp. (14 gm) of salt and 1 oz. (30 ml) of muriatic acid. Add the acid last.

Place your copper item outdoors or in an indoor area with good ventilation before treating it with the solution.

Pour the ammonia or acid solution into a spray bottle and spray the copper piece at least twice a day. The patina will begin to form quickly. To speed the copper oxidation, leave the item outside for the entire process, up to a few weeks depending on how much and what color patina you want.

Make a smoother patina by packing the copper in sawdust soaked in the solution and sealing it in a plastic bag for up to three days.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Maratacs patina slowly at first, but after a couple of cleanings, it comes back pretty fast...
I use Tarn-X wipe and rinse to clean, and within a week, it's brown again. it will depend on use as well...

My FiveMega C Tail and Worm AAA are both getting a puple tarnish on them.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
after reading things about salt water, vinegar, and lemon juice, I decided just to make a concoction of the three. let a paper towel soak it up the wrapped it around my light. initially it cleaned all the tarnish off, but then after unwrapping it and letting it air dry for a bit it got a very nice looking patina. theres a pic in the dark sucks subforum as I don't know if posting the same pic in another thread is frowned upon or not.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found another interesting recipe by pure luck. When I got my copper HF head, I left it in the car at below freezing point (~minus 10 celsius) for about an hour. When I opened it, my finger prints made some condensation on it and it immediately started tarnishing. Now, months later, these patterns are much more visible. I might do the rest of it that way at some point.

Verbatim

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread has been dead for a while so I hope it's not a problem to add a post. I did some experiments and found a great combination to get a nice deep blue/green color patina that is fairly durable. The mixture I used was Ammonium Chloride dissolved into Acetic Acid (vinegar) and sprayed onto the copper. I added a few coats letting it dry each time which allows for interaction with air and this is what I got:

2584d53.jpg

2qb83du.jpg

Ammonium Chloride is easy and cheap to obtain from Amazon as it is often used as a fertilizer.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
wow that is pretty crazy, not sure I would do that to one of my lights.

my olight i3e is not getting a decent patina for some reason, mostly hazy pinkish color has formed, but I'm doing it naturally

brand new:
32975485226_78c1e389f8_z.jpg

3 months:
33836742041_8d30b2caaa_m.jpg

Connor

Enlightened
I know this thread has been dead for a while so I hope it's not a problem to add a post. I did some experiments and found a great combination to get a nice deep blue/green color patina that is fairly durable. The mixture I used was Ammonium Chloride dissolved into Acetic Acid (vinegar) and sprayed onto the copper. I added a few coats letting it dry each time which allows for interaction with air and this is what I got:
Ammonium Chloride is easy and cheap to obtain from Amazon as it is often used as a fertilizer.

This sure looks wild. Unfortunately quite a few of the copper compounds are irritants or toxic, not only if you ingest them, but also to the touch ..

Last edited:

Verbatim

Newly Enlightened
Good point. I covered mine with a spray lacquer to protect the finish and avoid contact with the copper compounds themselves. Dullcote worked out well for me and kept the matte appearance of the finish.

This sure looks wild. Unfortunately quite a few of the copper compounds are irritants or toxic, not only if you ingest them, but also to the touch ..