Running 2x18650 parallel in Mag 4D

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
Just wanting to see if/how anyone has done this. I have 3/4" pvc pipe for the main tube and some 1" pvc for around the ends to make it fit tight.

I am using an 8x7135 driver so my 18650's will need to be run parallel. I was thinking about separating the tube into 2 compartments and just running wire between batteries but I just wanted to see how others have done this first.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
why not just use 4 nimh d cells. that voltage works good with 7135's driving some of the newer leds like the xml2 that need the extra voltage when going hard. but wtf do I know. I have no idea what your plans are. But if you got a tube as big as the 4d you might as well stuff it with batteries and runtime than plastic and air.

SAM_0169.jpg

dual bored 3d project that never came together. you can stuff 6 18650's in a 3d

Last edited:

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
why not just use 4 nimh d cells. that voltage works good with 7135's driving some of the newer leds like the xml2 that need the extra voltage when going hard. but wtf do I know. I have no idea what your plans are. But if you got a tube as big as the 4d you might as well stuff it with batteries and runtime than plastic and air.

SAM_0169.jpg

dual bored 3d project that never came together. you can stuff 6 18650's in a 3d

I have been running it on the 4 duracells that it came with and it is awesome, I am getting 3.4a with an 8x7135 with 1 extra 7135 chip. But as good as that is, I want to run rechargeable's because primary d cells can get expensive. Are there any good quality rechargeable D cells?

I am using the 53mm reflector/pill from DX right now but I ordered a couple h22a's and cam-less reflectors that should be here soon. I like the DX dropin but I am now wanting a deeper reflector.

BTW, how do you get rid of the halo caused by the bezel?

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
There are plenty of GOOD QUALITY NiMH LSD D cells, a search here of the battery forum will give you a few options (note C/D cell eneloops are junk)

Accupower use to be the best but their newer stuff isn't as high quality (still better than eneloops and no fear of "venting with flame" (aka BLOWING UP) like with Li's

Im in the middle of a similar project, I'm using 3 C accupower's to run a 2D mag (with H22A HS, 2.8a 7135 driver and XM-L T5)

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can still stuff them in just not with the mag switch

The BIG question you have to ask yourself if whether such a setup will TRULY be better. Remember that, unless you want higher voltage, Li-Ion is NOT better than true NiMH D batteries in a D cell Mag. And if you DO want a higher voltage than you can get from four NiMH batteries, it would be easier (and better) to just get some Li-Ion 32650 cells rather than trying to fit 18650 cells side by side. Three will EASILY fit in a 4D Mag with a spacer.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like parallel 18650 in Mag. Parallel cells physically, not electrically.
I'll explain.

As per Gtamazing problem, seemingly stuffing tube is not reality.
26500-26700 cells fit inside tailcap using shortened spring.
18650s singles also fit inside cap. Parallel 18650s don't fit inside tailcap.

So 2D mag can fit 2 x 26650. I have 3D 64623 mag with 4 x 26500, very short tail spring but in the standard spring holder.
With 18650s single file, Mag 2D - fit 2 cells, 3D 3 cells, 4 D 4 cells, 5D 5 cells. 6 won't quite fit in 6D, need small extension.
Not speculation, I have done all combos.

To use single file 18650s, remove anodizing from inside of cap and use a C spring, shortened if needed. C springs cost 50c I think.
You can do super neat job, mask off, use caustic , or just stick a wire brush in a drill and remove ano ion 10 secs.
Use some rough grit and hand for 30 second solution.
Simplest of simple mods and super cheap. Fit D spring back at any time.

Standard mag body length, twin bored:
2D fit 2 x 18650 - no advantage.
3D fit 4 x 18650 - 1 cell advantage.
4D fit 6 x 18650 - 2 cell advantage.

To get above advantage, both twin boring and a cell holder is required (and has to be paid for)
Unless you have tube re anodized, you now have a conductive section of tube resting against your cells. If the cell wrap gets damaged....
With parallel cells it's still a tight fit in bored Mag. The only time I have ever worn shrinkwrap of cells is when using twin bored mag and parrallel cells/holder.
Damage done by the threads on tube. Also the small step in body just past the threads.

Depending on requirements for light, current cell availability make me think 2D mag with 2 x 26650 cells is a simple cheap way to get good capacity inside a mag easily. 4000mAh cells about $15 each.
Sleeve for cells and tailcap ano and short spring mod. Insert 2nd sleeve to use 2 x 18650 if needed.

hp84117

Newly Enlightened
Bauer:

A few years ago I did exactly what you are talking about with the pvc pipe to hold the batteries in place. It seemed like I cut the spacer for between the batteries from the cap of a plastic bottle and then glued the wires to either side of the spacer. The principle is simple and it worked, but it was a kludge. Assembling the thing with the extra length of wire needed to get the batteries and the spacer in, in the right direction, was always a pain.

I say go for it, what is the worst that can happen? (other than the batteries bursting into flames if the polarity is wrong).

As some of the other posters say, boring or using different size batteries is a much more elegant solution, but you use what you have and then change what you don't like.

After fiddling with pvc and that kind of thing, I progressed to having the bodies bored to fit two 18650's side by side, or tri-bored to fit three 17670's. Then of course there are the 1D cut-down options and on and on.

One of my favorite mods is a 2d mag that has been dual bored. By modifying the back of the switch to move the positive contact to the side and adding a negative contact opposite it, and then cutting the tailcap spring with an insulator and then a battery contact on top of it, I have four 18650's in serial running a triple P7 Der Wichtel setup in the stock 2D length. It is a monster, even with the outdated led's. One of these days I will upgrade it to XM-L2.

Alan

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dual bored cost more but has following advantages:
2 parallel 18650 will take slightly longer space than 32650 or 26650 but with much more capacity.
Pair of protected 18650 will give you 3400x2=6800mAh. As of today, there is no 32650 or 26650 with similar or even closer capacity.
2 parallel / 2 serial 18650 (7.4 volt, 6800mAh) in twin bored 2.5D M*g will safely and nicely powered a ROP HO for about 1.5 hours.
Does anybody know any other way to run same bulb in same size M*g and same run time?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Pair of protected 18650 will give you 3400x2=6800mAh. As of today, there is no 32650 or 26650 with similar or even closer capacity."

I just tested a 32650 cell (the 6000 cells sold at Kaidomains) at 5936mah under a 4a load. Not a bad alternative to running parallel 18650s, IMO.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested a 32650 cell (the 6000 cells sold at Kaidomains) at 5936mah under a 4a load. Not a bad alternative to running parallel 18650s, IMO.

Initial spike of 4.4 Amps incandescent bulb is way higher than 5 Amps and mentioned cells are not capable for that purpose but OK to use with LEDs
As of quality, they are not even close to AW's, Redilast and other Panasonic protected cells.

Hoop

Enlightened
Feilong 32650's seem to get praise. 5500mah to 2.8 volts at 5 amps draw. Looks like they do ok at 10 amps without getting too hot. A much lower temp at 7 amps so this seems to be a more practical limit for continuous draw.

arek98

Enlightened
Guys, I think you going too far and missing a point. OP has driver with AMC 7135 and he needs input voltage close to LED Vf.

He is running currently 4 regular alkaline D cells and he wants rechargeable option.

Going Li-Ion in that case is not good IMO. 2 Li-Ion in series is too much. One is good only at beginning of discharge.

Simplest, safest (and probably cheapest) solution would be to buy 4 D size NiMh cells and charger that will handle them (or 8 cells to have 2 sets and charger that can take 8 cells in case all 8 need charging). No need to modify light and 4 NiMh are a very good match for linear driver and one LED.

To Bauer:
Get Tenergy Centura LSD 8000mAh cells if you need LSD or Tenergy Premium 10000mAh if you use your light regularly for little more capacity.

Read more about these cells in this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...uality-gone!&p=3873270&highlight=#post3873270

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can fit 3 paralel 18650 in a 4d maglite, but you wil need a special holder. most likely will have to build one yourself. this is pbly the best solution for 4d mag, weight\capacity wise, assuming you use linear 7235 driver.