Help me pick a torch!

hallex

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I am an aircraft mechanic, and am looking for a flashlight to use while inspecting planes for cracks/debris. Would maybe occasionally use it while working in a tight spot, if our work-provided lights wont fit/too dark. It needs to be small enough for me to keep it in a large pocket. After reading thru the forums here, and the reviews at flashlightreviews.com, I don't know what would be bright enough/too bright for my use.
I need to keep it around $50 or so.
Ive been considering these:

SL Tasklight (A little long, but might work)
SL Twin Task 2L (not sure if LED mose would be bright enough)
ARC LS with 2aa adapter (Used one)
SL Propolymer 4aa LED (Not sure if it will be bright enough/may be too big)

Any suggestions? Anything else I should consider? I hate not being able to try one out without seeing it myself, but no one around here has anything better that a maglight,

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SL Twin Task 2L sounds like your best bet outta that lineup..

you've got the xenon beam for inspections..

then you have the LED's for close-up work..

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Hi hallex,
Welcome to CPF!
The best light on your list is the ARC LS. You can buy a ARC LS factory second for $50 when they are available. If you decide to get a ARC LS second don't hesitate if you find one. Or you can get a ARC LSL-S for $65 here
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/closandspeco.html
The other two lights that I would recommend are the SL 4AA 7LED, and the Princeton Tec Tec40. The Tec40 is smaller than the SL 4AA 7LED and a lot brighter. Both of these are great lights. I recommend that you get RipOffs holsters for them. Lights & holsters are here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10697227964744498&sku=PRITEC40HBKCPO
Good luck & enjoy your search!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
He needs throw, AND close inspection. The Twin-Tasks (or the more expensive A2) fill the need.

Hence the name....................

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
though i dont own a twintask, i think it would be an excellent light for you r work.

though the streamlight 4aa led may be too large, it is one bright bugger, and floods a very large area nicely.

Bob

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
hallex,
When you see several CPF members agree like this they are usually right. This is a pretty cut and dried recommendation. It looks like the SL TT 2L all the way. I got some very nice lights by paying attention to posts like this one. I have a couple of Surefire A2s, but I might have to get a TT2L myself.

hallex

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the qucik replies!

My main concern with the TT2L is if the low 3 LED setting will produce enough light to work by.

AND my main concern with the ACR LS is the opposite, if it would be too bright to work by.

Guess I may have to try out a TT2L and see how it works out.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
look on quickbeam's site for the lux reading of the TT2L on led setting. i think it is around 65 lux.

the ARC is probably around 300 to 500.

hmm...also, the streamlight 4aa led has a hazardous location rating. lux is around 150, me thinks.

if you want true adjustability, how about an eternalight?

anywhere from 5-95 lux with an elitemax. it is pretty small as well. easily fits in a pocket.

tough decision.

Bob

charliek

Enlightened
I have the Streamlight 7LED (4AA) as well, and it's a great light- plenty to work by... but- it doesn't have the throw of a Xenon- the TT 2L has both the throw and a nice close-up work light- all a click away. For the under $50 bracket, you can't go wrong with the 2L. If you've got money to burn- go for a Surefire A2, or a L4 for that matter...

Heck for around 50 you can get the Propolymer AND the 2L!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hallex,

It really is a tough call, since we have to base the suggestions solely on the information you have provided and we don't do the job that you do.

What would be really helpful would be to know what type of lights work provides? If it's a typical 2-D cell smooth reflectored light, you're getting around 1000 lux at beam center. The TwinTask will give you about 700 lux at beam center, so the Twintask may not be quite as good for lighting up things at a distance, but the spot is more even, so it may actually make it easier to see the surface you are inspecting.

If work is issuing something like 3-Cell or 4-cell lights, the Twintask will seem much dimmer at a distance even though it produces more light overall than a 3-D mag and almost the same amount of light as the 4-D mag. It just cannot focus the light into as tight of a spot for long distance work.

Also, what kind of ambient lighting is used when you are inspecting planes? Are the inspections done in a brightly lit hanger with sodium or mercury vapor lamps overhead? If so, you will need a fairly bright light no matter what. The Twintask LEDs could be overwhelmed in such lighting conditions and appear useless since your eyes will be adapted to the bright conditions in the hanger.

The LEDs in the Twintask are a different color temperature than the xenon bulb, so when switching back and forth the LEDs will seem bluish and the xenon will seem yellowish. This is normal but may take a little getting used to if you have never experienced it before.

All that said, I'd give the TT-2L a try and see how it works out, especially if you feel the Luxeon Tasklight would be too long for those tight areas you need to inspect.

OR

You could use the work supplied lights for general inspection duty (use their batteries!) and get something very small that you can clip on your pocket like an E2e or E1e for your personal use in those really tight places.

If you do decide to get the TT-2L, buy the batteries online. Never buy them from local retail stores. Even Walmart prices the batteries at $10 a PAIR. Online they can be had for 1.00 - 1.50 each. You can purchase them in quantities since they have a 10 year shelf life.

I'm very glad everyone is finding my site so useful! That's what it's there for!

hallex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the responses! You guys are great!
And yes Quickbeam, your site rocks!

Well, work provides us with 2D total crap flahlights to work with. Sometimes I am out working on the flight line, at night, so there would be little/no light; Most times I would use it, would be when I'm actually inside it, like in a fuel cell, or inner structure, which has little/no light as well. Sometimes, Im looking in an area that is too small to fit their lights in it.
I usally have enough light with our garbage lights to work by, but when looking for defects, it just doesnt seem to cut it. It also doesn't help that the beams are yellowish, and a lot of internal parts are primed yellow/green. It seems to wash stuff out.
After doing a little more reading, I'm leaning towards a Streamlight TL-2 LED, due to it's overall output, and battery life. It would also be small enough to clip into a pocket. I can't keep it on a belt sheath, due to a stupid rule here.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the SL TTL2 for a while now. You would need to define your "throw" needs a little better. I work security, and I like having both the high,and low beams. However (and this may just be mine for some reason) I don't get a lot of throw from it. Maybe 20 feet of useable light. So if your checking the top of tail on a 747, it might not reach quite far enough. I do like having the led back up to the incan bulb, and the low beam is enough to work by close in.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Hallex,

Welcome.

I work in the NDT field and have nothing but good things to say about the ARC LSH-P. Most of my lighting need is close up and that light is great. I have it fitted with the 2 AA battery holder and use re-chargeable batteries in it.

The problem is with throw. In high ambient lighting conditions and with distant objects the LED light does not cut it. For those situations, I have a Legend LX.

Another thing to consider is the concept of "flat" lighting vs "spectacular" lighting. A multiple LED or an unfocused LED light tends towards flat lighting. A single light source tends towards spectacular lighting. The reflector is an influence in both cases. Cracks are better defined by spectacular lighting. I tried a SureFire L4, but found that I had better definition with the ARC LSH-P and went back to that for my EDC.

I do not have the TT-2L so I can not comment directly on that light. I guess I need check it out.

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i can tell ya that the TL-2 LED is both bright, long throwing and has great peripheral light, which could prove useful for close-up work.

the central beam throws well, but may be too bright for close up.

the color of my beam is VERY white.

maybe you should consider 2 small lights (that use the same bat type): one very bright for throw, and one more flood-like.

like: attitude and rage. BB400 or MM with mcflood/nx05 and opalec newbeam (you can use rechargeables in these and get very long runtimes). Tec40 and newbeam.

Bob

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per my readings, the TL-2 LED will have about the same throw as a $0.99 Eveready 2-D light, with about double the overall light output; meaning it will have brighter beam sidespill and wider hotspot. It would probably be a good replacement for a larger 2-D cell light for getting into those tight places.