Mr. Bulk Strikes Again! L3C = 11,100 Lux no UCL!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
This is just a little teaser preview of the Mr. Bulk L3C I just purchased. It's a Luxeon III powered by 3Cs in a MAG 2D. I don't know if Mr. Bulk has an official name for it so I just call it the L3C. All things considered, this is one extremely bright LED flashlight, yielding 11,100 lux and I didn't even UCL it yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It compares favorably against the Pelican M11, a very good incandescent. The M11 is rated at 151 lumens, I feel the L3C is at least on par with the M11 in lumens output and probably even a bit more.

It's another winner from Mr. Bulk (what else is new). I will include a full review of the L3C when I do the uber hand-held flashlight test.

In the mean time, here are some comparison pics:

mrbulk-l3-01.jpg

mrbulk-l3-02.JPG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mr. Bulk Strikes Again! L3C = 11,100 Lux no U

Jeez Dan,

Are those photos large enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I feel like I'm getting to know that garage door well.

Wilkey

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Jeez Dan,

Are those photos large enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I feel like I'm getting to know that garage door well.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Next time, I'll upload some 6+ Mega Pixel pictures each, how's that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

And yes, that garage door is going to need a paint job soon. It's start to show signs of wear from all these blazing flashlight tests. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks Dan. Y'know, I really liked that light...now why did I go and sell it???!!!

Anyway thanks for the very appropriate L3C name, I didn't think up any trick monikers for it since I wasn't planning to build any more of these (it's not exactly raining really well-binned Luxeon III's any place yet!).

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:

(it's not exactly raining really well-binned Luxeon III's any place yet!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, tell me about it. I've got 4 T-binned LxIII's coming, I hope they are white enough. I've got stuff to put 'em in though.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

I would call the TWAK's HID white (just a hint of blue) which I really like. They're dang bright too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Unfortunately, I don't have a light meter, so I can't give you any lux readings, but on 3 D's DD I imagine it's about the same as the one shown here by Mr. Madman. I do know that on slightly used batteries, I measure almost 1.8 Amps at 3.8 vlots!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif That's close to SEVEN watts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The funny thing is that the bluish TWAK makes my truly white X3T look a bit green... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

My build with SWAM on 3D cells does roughly the same. It cuts through fog and mist like a razor.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
I like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How tight can you get it to focus with that III?

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Flow: the images you see here are with the L3C at it's tightest focus. As you can see in picture # 2, the focus is even tighter than the M11 which has a very tight focus.

Since the Mr. Bulk L3C is extremely bright and has tremendous run time, it's time for me to unload all my 15,000 Lux and less incandescents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ubermensch

Enlightened

I made a L3D, and I must say, it's no where near 150 lumens. Going up against a 5 cell xenon bulb in a 6D, which is around 100 lumens, one can barely even see the L3D.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
S4MadMan said:
Since the Mr. Bulk L3C is extremely bright and has tremendous run time, it's time for me to unload all my 15,000 Lux and less incandescents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention how durable it is now. No need to waste any more money on bulbs!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
I made a L3D, and I must say, it's no where near 150 lumens. Going up against a 5 cell xenon bulb in a 6D, which is around 100 lumens, one can barely even see the L3D.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's not 150 Lumens, but mine (TWAK on 3Ds) looks to be pretty close to 100 Lumens (at spec it's 67 to 87 Lumens, and this is in overdrive), as it's output with fresh batteries really rivals that of my SRTH with N2 bulb (105 Lumens). Plus, the hotspot is just as tight, and the color of the light is sooo much better!

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying, according to Pelican, the M11 is rated at 151 lumens:
M11 Specifications Here

Mr. Bulk's L3C is a bit brighter at the hot spot and IMHO, puts out a bit more light than the M11.

My point, it's a first-rate mod yielding lots of light; and again, IMHO, more than the M11.

I have no need for my M11 anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ubermensch

Enlightened

I must modify my statements. On fresh NiMH they're about equivalent, except the L3D is half as tall and twice as white.

S4MadMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
flashlightlens.com said:
WHAT!! NO UCL!!

One's on the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chris!

Yes, I ran out of 52mm UCLs, I need to order some more and a TL UCL too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif