Luxeons for home lighting??

Darell

Flashaholic
Yup. I use 'em. They work fine, but are quite large for what they offer. For EE guys, there is no magic here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when i win the lottery (not likely, as i don't play) i'm going to have custom lighting made to use luxeons. several designs are floating through my mind. one design is 25 5w luxeons aimed up at the celign on a huge shallow reflector/bowl painted white.
another design is around 50 1watters on small loclinetype stalks coming out below a cieling fan
another one is several hundred nichia leds in the molding of the ceiling behind defusing covers.

oh...the things i could do with money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

G

GBaz

I've been thinking of using them in the house for every day lighting. The only problem I have is that they are too white and unnatural. I was thinking of incorporating 1 amber for every 4 white. Has anyone done this yet? Any feedback. Thanks

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I did see on the luxeon homepage that they are going to come out with what they call "soft" LS that are a little bit warmer of a light, kinda closer to the color of an incandescent with all the advantages of the LED. Cool stuff. Amazing the stuff going on in the tech world these days.

Darell

Flashaholic
I've heard lots of folks "warming" their arrays in similar fashion. In my experience, I just LOVE white LED general lighting though.

Saaby

Flashaholic
They've been married less than a year and in a house less than 6 months, so they're broke, but when my sister and brother-in-law get a little more green stuff (and other colors too now) the plan it Luxeons on top of his cupboards in the kitchen and 5mms under (aimed at the counter)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
chevy, why 5mm's under? some sort of diffusing lens?
a bare luxeon would provide a much smoother lighting...

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Wayne of Elektrolumens did a project to light up his backyard with three 5W Luxeons a while back. Turned out pretty well i believe.

Zman

Enlightened
I was hoping to use the xitanium in a relatively small area, like the bathroom or the hallway. That way I can get away without needing too many stars. Best price I've found lately is $8 each star, so it gets kinda expensive with too many.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
chevy, why 5mm's under? some sort of diffusing lens?
a bare luxeon would provide a much smoother lighting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a couple of 5mms is plenty of under-counter light and they're a lot cheaper and easier to stash then Luxeons. That LED strip from GE looks even better though!