most scariest movie?

Lightmite

Newly Enlightened
The movie Bones w/ Snoop Dogg is suprisingly scary and has some interesting special effects.

Adron

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Penguin, Event Horizon was great. The Ring was going good until the very end (which just pissed me off). But you can not have a scary movie night without the greatest scary movie of all time "The Exorcist"!!!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i didn't even find the ring exciting, let alone scary. i thought everyone was kidding when the said it was, am i alone here?
come to think of it, i can't recall any movies that are "scary". disturbing, gory, morbid, dark, suspensful...yes, but not scary.
although, i admit to not having seen nearly as many scary movies as some people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have to cast my vote for ALIEN. It is scarry!

It does not rely on those cheap horror movie tricks like the running female who trips and twists her ankle, or the dead guy comming back to life after getting his head removed, or supernatural beings.

Great scenery and special effects. No plot twists. Just some Alien creature killing everybody it can, then eating them. You never really get to completly see the Alien. That movie scared the crap out of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Adron

Newly Enlightened
Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Alien movies, but I think there's a bit of a plot hole in the films. I mean, the aliens supposedly ate humans, but out of all the bodies in the films very few, if any, of the victims actually were eaten. They were just mutilated or coccooned for the eggs. It's a "nit-pick" I know, but I can still watch the films and enjoy them.
What about "13 Ghosts"? Maybe it's just me, but that naked chick with the cuts all over her body scared the snot out of me!!!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original "Alien" movie is a good one. I'm really suprised that no one has mentioned "The Exorcist". It's old, but it's one of those rare movies that doesn't get (too) cheesy with age. Something about that movie just gets under your skin and freaks you out.

Peter

edit: Oops, I just reread the thread and saw that Adron already mentioned "The Exorcist".

lightnix

Enlightened
I went to see a full digital presentation of "Alien - The Director's Cut" at the Odeon in Leicester Square, London last week and was blown away. The new edit tightens the action and helps define the relationships better. The inclusion of the "Cocoon Sequence" doesn't detract from the overall action and reinforces the sub-theme of "what is a family" ?

It's a well-worn plot, to be sure: scary thing gets on board spaceship and kills everybody, only to be thwarted by the last survivor in a climactic death match. Even so, it's such a beautifully crafted film, which makes suberb use of dramatic tension and near documentary style camera work to put the viewer right in there with the solidly blue-collar crew.

I love the whole look of the film. It's effectively a monochrome movie, a modern film noir, sparsely decorated with splashes of colour (the blue mist over the eggs, the cat, the emergency lights, the blood). A DJ friend of mine was enthusing about the sound design for the film, and he was right to do so, it's so industrial (look out also for the new alien distress signal). My only ***** with the sound is the same I have with all surround sound movies: they just don't sound real enough. It still sounds like added-on effects played through extra speakers in the end. Maybe it's just my showbiz background. If I'd been doing the DC I'd have had that siren going on all six channels as soon as Sigourney hits the switch, but that's just me.

Alien was my first ever X-rated movie, so I probably have a soft spot for it. I'll stop now, before I get too carried away.

Marvellous film !

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of Alien's impact comes from the astounding H R Geiger artwork. That mix of bio-mechanical forms always leaves you wondering if the object is alive or just part of the scenery.

torment

Newly Enlightened
One of those candyman films kinda freaked me out a while ago. That movie and poltergeist have been the only movies that freaked me out. I don't even watch the real alien movies (similar to close encounters of the third kind) cuz those would scare me senseless lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The ring, jason, freddy, texas chainsaw massacre didn't bug me any. TCM just made me wanna bang jessica beal even more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lara

Newly Enlightened
Monsters/sharks and the likes don't really scare me that much, because there are lots of proven weapons against them. I am more susceptible to the supernatural threats. Here's my current list:

1 - The Ring
2 - The Mothman Prophecies
3 - Event Horizon