A portable USB gadget charger with removable 18650: Does it exist? Homemade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just passed by another one of these portable universal USB type chargers for smartphones, iPads, or any electronic gadget that can be charged using a USB port. This one was on SNBC and I saw it as I was channel surfing. It is 2600 mah, and looks to probably hold an 18650 inside, but there's no mention of whether the battery can be removed or not. It's $19.99 or so. So I did a Google search for removable 18650 battery versions but came up empty handed. There are other, larger models that appear to house 2 to 4 18650s, which give 5600-1000mah charging capacity, but don't have removable batteries.

i did a cpf search for it and found a 2010 review thread for a smartphone charger, but apparently it wasn't iphone compatible, and there was an AA charger listed too.

But it would be cool to have one that holds 1 or 2 18650's that can be removed. In other words, many members here have lots of loose 18650's laying around, including myself, and I'd like to find a USB charger that I can buy and use my current 18650's in. That would be more convenient, and should be cheaper considering it would just be a shell without a battery. Not only that, but we can use the new 3400mah batteries, giving better charging capability than you get with the current 2200-2800mah USB chargers with non removable batts. Does anyone know of any chargers with removable batts?

if not, how easy would it be to make your own portable gadget charger, and maybe someone here could design and build one(?). They should become more and more popular and useful now that we have more gadgets that burn through batteries faster than ever before. Even if someone created one that runs on other batteries aside from 18650's.

Status
Not open for further replies.