Traveling 2 Beglium-Ideas 2 keep in touch with CPF

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for advice from CPF'ers over in Belgium as I will be traveling there during December, staying with my wife's friends. I am looking forward to the visit but unfortunately there is no internet connection where I am staying [although there may be a landline telephone- I'll post back shortly as I'll find out if there is one ]

One of her friends is going to provide me with a "Proximus" cellphone…..( has SMS-but as I understand its not possible to SMS the North American cellphone network directly from the SMS GSM cellphones).

I understand the local libraries have public computers [ with restrictions], like an hour time limit ( open from 10 to 5 I think), but these do not allow even chat programs such as AIM light , or ICQ, MSN, yahoo mess, etc on them. Email like yahoo or hotmail works though. I would like something with a little more gusto………and outside library hours..

I have a decent dell laptop with both a Xircom PCMICA 10/100 LAN /56k Modem card and also a Netgear PCMICA dual 2.4/5 GHz wireless card so I might find a coffee shop with WiFi…..is there a chain ( or shops) that offer this service? ( or a Belgium website that lists places that have WiFi access postings?

I have not had much luck searching for this information on the web so I'm hoping a local Belgium CPF'er can make some suggestions or steer me to a carrier or ISP where I can hand over my wallet I reckon……or make a suggestion on what laptop configuration using a cellphone would work, or if there is another wireless service one could rent for a month. For example here in San Jose, CA there use to be a wireless company called Ricochet which provided RF city wide WAN at 128k but it went out of bussiness 2 years ago. ( a special modem and antenna was required but If a service like that is available that would be sweet even if it cost $100 euro for a month with unlimited access….i would be willing to pay for that.

In any case I'm looking for options on what methods are available for hooking up in that neck of the woods to keep up with the "latest threads" and the occasional email and news, etc. So if anyone can suggest what Belgium ISPs ( either landline or wireless) that I should inquire with [ monthly basis, or purchase blocks of time] I would appreciate it immensely. Also, I would be open to comments on a setup using a cellphone ( to PC), but at the moment I do not know what model cellphone I'll be using . If I am able to obtain access via landline what ISP should I seek and what typically are the features, costs, etc.?

Sorry this got a little lengthy but I appreciate any help. Post or PM is fine.

Thanks and regards, rob

Kristofg

Enlightened
There are a number of free Wifi hotpsots available from operator telenet Telenet free hotspots A list of these hotspots is available here and the instruction how to use them is available here If you aren't a customer you are limited to email and some websites.
Most broadband connections will take too long to set up if you are planning to use them for only a month, so I'd suggest getting a 56K modem and a free internet subscription like those from Tiscali for about €2.5/hour at peak times and €1 at night times, but you need a fixed phone line for this. If you want to use a mobile phone for internet, (but that is going to be slow and very expensive. This would be best with a GPRS compatible mobile phone See here for proximus mobile internet but they all have a one year subscription under normal circumstances.
Proximus offers a number of hotspots as well hotspots and they work with prepay cards this might be the easiest and cheapest solution. how to start guide
And finally, here is a list of internet cafés in belgium netcafes
If you have any more questions or if I can be of any more assistance, please let me know,
Kind regards,
Kristof

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
thanks Kristof,
i found out this morning that i do not have access to even a landline phone at the place where i am staying but they do have TV cable....seems like last time i was in Gent cable internet was popular.....was wondering would you know if this is also used for internet access as well ( as there are cable setups here in the states which run both internet access and TV on the same cable, [you get a splitter + cable router, etc}

curious, every hear of customers that happen to be able to receive both but only signed up for the one service?

in any case, thanks....i look forward to give a good read on your suggestions and links. rob

Kristofg

Enlightened
Telenet is the most prominent provider of cable internet. It's the same setup with a splitter and router. The price is €40/month for unlimited access time, but limited to 10 Gbytes of up/downloads (which would suffice unless you are going to do some really heavy downloading of movies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The problem I see is that their default contracts are only available for the duration of at least twelve months. And secondly, I don't know how fast they would be able to connect you as it usually takes a few weeks to get all the paperwork in order.
Cable tv has been available to almost every home for decades, so most people are subscribing to it, but you can't have internet without the special equipment, so I don't know of any people who are able to receive both without paying for both.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to visit A.S. Adventure, which is my favourite flashlight store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But it won't be a match for the US stores though.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
hi Kristof, i just found out there is a fixed line in the apartment next door so its looks like i'll be able to connect with a 56 line afterall, thanks for the tip on this.... As i'll have to stop by Frys ( a chain of medium sized electronic stores in the bay area and pick up phone jack adaptor, 100 feet of telephone cord , etc thought i would offer for you a chance to pick up something you might be a-wanting, i know they carry the pelican M6 ( i think there is a sale on the M6 for 39 instead of 59 ( only black) + spares, etc...in any case i will be staying near Gent but don't know if that is close to where you live..if your interested PM me as i have some other "stuff" you might be interested in also....thanks again and best regards, rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kristofg

Enlightened
I live in Mechelen, to the right of Gent (but since my entire country is only 200 miles long, all cities are close together by US standards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do like the pelican M6, but the batteries needed cost about *7/piece over here due to environmental taxes and hence rechargeable batteries are very popular over here. Unfortunately no 3V rechargeables are currently available, so the flashlight would ruin me in batteries, even though the price is great.
I'll PM you for the neat stuff though. Can't let an opportunity like this slip away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
hey Kristof, actually the town i'll be in is called " Merelbeke ", which is close to Gent also.

ouch $7 ( hey but don't they have a 10 year lifespan !! )

Kristofg

Enlightened
That would be about 50 miles distance (told you everything here is close together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW, don't overstock on flashlights, there are almost no unlit roads around here. So if you want to find a dark place to test your flashlights, you're going to have to take a really long walk. Or go to the beach as that isn't far from Gent anyway.
Those batteries have a great lifespan, but I just wish someone would make a rechargeable version like cellphones use.

AlecGold

Enlightened
I agree for the rechargeable version of the batteries.
But I was last week also in Belgium on the beach, but wasn't able to show off my A2: Lightspill by the orange natrium lights was lighting everything up, even when 200m at sea. So it will be even harder to find a good dark spot in those crowded parts of Europe.

Have a good time in Belgium, also visit Holland, it's more boring as Belgium, but we sell CR123's at €5, big saving! (but be carefull with the coffeeshops u visit, a coffeeshop in Holland often doesn't sell that much coffee as they sell soft drugs).

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
naa i'm bringing my own "legal " drugs....

but i would be interested in knowing if its possible to purchase TRITIUM GLOWRINGS.......!!!

any chance these are sold
in Belgium?......and where would be the best place to obtain

Kristofg

Enlightened
I have had them delivered from the UK to belgium, mostly trough one of the many gadget shops online. However, since you are here for a while, it might be more convenient to take the Eurostar to the UK for a day and stock up on them at the source. A ticket isn't that expensive Eurostar site Belgium I haven't seen the glowrings in any shop in Belgium. Only the traser watches.