hybrid mini mag...its alive!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I can not believe this actually worked.A few posts back I posted about a clip on 3 LED light made by night blaster.It uses 3 AA batteries in a barrel type holder.It was very bright for an off brand and I immediately tore it apart.I took the head unit out and it is one unit holding all 3 LEDs inside a sealed reflector.The contacts are flat half circle areas on the bottom.If you file a little aroung the edges it will drop right in to the head assembly of a AA minimag The lens part then can be screwed on to hold it tight.I then took 2 small pieces of wire and placed each in to the pin holes where the original bulb was placed.Bent each one opposite from the other and put a small drop of solder on each one.If you screw the head down carefully it will contact both pins and yes it worked I had to use 3 n cells to power the 3 LEDs but it is almost as bright as my Inova.I used a kroll clickie switch and it works perfect.I will try to get some pics soon but I have to first learn how to post pics.The reflector is very bright and the beam is smooth and very white.I got the blaster clip on light at Wally world for about 7 or 8 dollars.I now have a fairly bright light using 3 LEDs.....this is so addicting
The entire project took me about 30 minutes.I do not think this is a very reliable set up as the contact points were hard to get dead on however I am sure someone here could improve my idea.......I am hooked

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are indeed hooked, my friend.
At the instant those three LEDs lit up in your Mag, your mod addiction definitely started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robocop

Yes I am hooked...I wish I had the skill,tools and patience as some of the members here(MrBulk comes to mind)but it was fun to think up the idea and put it to action.It is a shaky set up but the actual concept worked and that is what was so satisfying about the whole thing.If I let it lay still it works fairly well but too much motion and it loses contact and goes dim.I am still working on the reliable part but it does look pretty nice.

TheFire

Enlightened
Yes, you're now stuck. Modding is certainly an addiction without cure...

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Are you talking about those green/camaflouge clipon lights from Walmart? If so, I thought those took 3AAA batteries, NOT 3AA.

Please clarify.

- Vikas

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 3AAA. NOT a big deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

...and it's got a pretty good looking beam.

Robocop

Yes it is that green light and it does use AAA....I tend to get a little excited so forgive any errors.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the one I think it is, then it's a Streamlight Clipmate. They've changed the battery holder to round from flat/oval. The head, tail and headband are the same as the Clipmate at half the price.

Latest posts