Quick n' Easy Aspheric Lens Setup for Maglites... Need some throw?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
All you need is a Maglite anti-roll slip on bezel cover (zbattery sells them, search for 408-021) and a Kaidomain 51mm Aspheric lens (recent stock, SKU S020647).

I can just imagine some of you are thinking "wow this guy is lazy, how hard is it to unscrew the bezel and remove the lens?". This implementation allows you to simply slip on the lens without unscrewing the bezel. This can be particularly useful being outdoors out in the elements where moisture/dust/etc. might pose a problem. Ok now for some beamshots. FYI the mag is running a XP-E2 R3 1D @ 1.4A.

f/4.5, 1/200s underexposed

f/4.5, 1/1000s underexposed some more

With the stock SMO reflector hotspot lux was 62k @ 1m while the Aspheric was 105.2k @ 1m , not bad at all...:whistle: FYI hotspot lux measurements were taken at 2m and calculated for 1m. The focus point for this particular aspheric lens isn't too far off from the focus point with a regular reflector setup.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can just imagine some of you are thinking "wow this guy is lazy, how hard is it to unscrew the bezel and remove the lens?".

Well, some drop-ins don't have the best focal length. This is a great idea. Thanks! Just have to find someone who carries something similar without the minimum $150 order cost

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Love the idea, ordered two, ill run it in a 4d malkoff drop in mag and and see if it can last in a 6 d ROP without melting for an ok time.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I did an aspheric maglite with this lens yesterday, and it seems to be acceptable in quality. Thats a good thing since DX cheap lenses seems to have gone down the drain in terms of optical quality.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Can I ask where you got one? Shipping seems overly excessive for the ones I've found that will ship to Australia.

If you read what OP is writing in his first sentence, you will have the information. :thumbsup:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read what OP is writing in his first sentence, you will have the information. :thumbsup:

second post in this thread, check out zbatterys policy on international shipping, you need a minimum order of $150!

Scattergun

Enlightened
OK, I thought of the lens... If you are using a LED on a mount that sits about 6mm below the edge of the flashlight body you will have about the right focus for this lens. If you want to assemble the lens inside the original bezel, just cut the rim off the original reflector, to act as a small washer, and then place the lens on top of it before putting the bezel back together.

That way you don´t need the big anti-roll-device