Firefly mode, Olight i3s and Thrunite T10. Are there any direct comparisons

figuy

Newly Enlightened
Is there a big difference between the two and are there any direct comparisons beam shots around?

Racer

Enlightened
Hmm, off the top of my head:

The T10 AA and the I3S is AAA, so there is a size and run time difference. The T10 probably has a lower low, and also has a mode memory and different mode order. The I3S has a hidden strobe, which the T10 does not have. The I3S has a reversible clip where the T10 has no clip. The T10 also has a higher high and medium, mainly by virtue of it being an AA light. The I3S has the latest XP-G2 where the T10 has the older XP-G, though I believe the new version of the T10 (Saber?) comes with the XP-G2. Maybe you should be comparing to the Saber and not the T10.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Olight, but here's a comparison pix of the T10 along with some other sub-lumen lights (from L to R, Lumen Spec/My Measurement):

QAAXML CW 0.3/0.3
QAAS2 CW 0.2/0.17
T10 CW 0.09/0.13
SC52 0.34/0.08
QAAXML NW 0.3/0.3
D25AXML NW 0.5/0.3
H51W 0.2/0.25

8737691738_200db655b1_z.jpg

figuy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I actually own an i3s and the firefly mode is brighter than I want. I'm mainly looking for a dimmer firefly mode and wanted to confirm the difference between the two since manufacturers rating seem to vary. I also want a brighter max output and longer run times which is why I'm looking at AA flashlights. The Saber 1A looks really cool, but $30 is more than I want to spend. I'm trying to stay closer to $20, I considered the L3 Illuminations L10 and I prefer it's UI, but don't like the number of modes or some of the output settings. I also looked into the Tank007 e09, but I want a larger beam.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have a T10 and an I3 not S and between the two you can almost not tell the T10 is turned on in Firefly mode with a light on in the room where the I3 is obviously on.

It is hard to quantify from my eyes alone but the difference is not subtle between the two I have.

Hope this helps.
Ed

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L10 N219 as well .... I measure that to be ~0.04 lms or so, about half as bright as the SC52 on 0.34 lms in the pix. For me personally, the T10s firefly is about as low I care to go with moonlight mode.

figuy

Newly Enlightened
Well I have a T10 and an I3 not S and between the two you can almost not tell the T10 is turned on in Firefly mode with a light on in the room where the I3 is obviously on.

It is hard to quantify from my eyes alone but the difference is not subtle between the two I have.

Hope this helps.
Ed

I have the L10 N219 as well .... I measure that to be ~0.04 lms or so, about half as bright as the SC52 on 0.34 lms in the pix. For me personally, the T10s firefly is about as low I care to go with moonlight mode.

Great this helps a lot. Is it bright enough to see where you are going around the house if your eyes are well adjusted.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great this helps a lot. Is it bright enough to see where you are going around the house if your eyes are well adjusted.

Absolutely.

I have an L10 also and it is also enough if you are dark adjusted already.

I use them in my camper as a night light and any of them are enough light to use for a midnight "Comfort Break" for me.

I have several Moonlight mode lights and can not really pick my favorite and have no reason to but the oddest is probably the Predator!
It is a crazy thrower and Insane Moonlight in the same light! As a nightlight it is nice because there is no real spill and I can reflect the moonlight still off any surface to diffuse it.

figuy

Newly Enlightened
Is the L10 3 lumen mode useful? My LRI Freedom is rated at 4.5 lumens and works out OK. I know the L10 has a 30 lumens mode, but like the ideal of having a mode with just enough light for normal use if the run time is long.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal lumen sweetspots are 0.3 lms and ~ 3 lms from a floody XML from my Quark or D25A - as a camper I probably spend 40/40% of my time at these levels - my low and medium with night adapted eyes. The 0.3 level is a bright moonlight mode (can be blinding waking from sleep) but I find it the perfect book reading level, and therefore also find it fine for most close task work with my hands, esp. from when aimed from a headband or my DIY neckband. I'm runtime freak and like the ~ 200 hrs per AA capability, and between that and a ~50 hr / 3 lms mode, a single AA cell will last me any easy week's camping trip or Hurricane Sandy power outage, and I could easily live on only these 2 modes.

My L10 N219 4 mode has a 0.04 lm mode, which I find too low for most anything, except in home navigation with completely night adapted eyes - I didn't like having to cycle past it everytime. I got the 3 mode next and measure low to be 2.5 lms... I could do with lower, but anything in the 1-5 lumen range is fine by me... your eyes will adjust for close range task work and it's just a matter of runtime after that.

Speaking of runtime, I'm actually doing a side-by-side test with a Foursevens Mini AA HCRI (also measures 2.5 lms) with ~1750mah Eneloops (measure on a Maha C9000). The 47s quit @ ~22 hrs.... yesterday... the L10 is still going at 46 hrs.... I'm impressed. You cannot beat the tint of the N219, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of its foam spring/battery spacer.

figuy

Newly Enlightened
If it's not too much trouble could you post a beam shot on an object using the L10 on 3 lm mode? I may go with the L10 if the 3 lm mode seem suitable to me for average use. I'm also not a fan of the foam, but I haven't heard of any issue either so it seem like a good candidate.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally don't do stand-alone shots... depending upon camera exposure settings used, you can make ANY mode appear the same brightness in a pix. Here's and older comparison shot though (with listed spec):

QAATurbo 4 lms
QAAXML CW 3 lms
SC52 CW 2.7 lms
Preon Penlight 5 lms
QAAXML NW 3 lms
D25AXML NW 2.5 lms
L10 N219 3 lms

8681539763_00d88f52a8_z.jpg

figuy

Newly Enlightened
Great thanks for the pic. I'm thinking the L10 might be the best fit for me now. About the side-by-side runtime test with the Mini AA and L10. Are you doing that with the L10 on 3 lm and what was the final result for it?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
L10 N219 > 49 hrs, Mini AA HCRI > 22 hrs, old Eneloops measured ~ 1750 mah on a C9000.. I'm really surprised at the difference.

I measure the 3 mode L10 ~ 2.5/15/80 lms and the Mini AA HCRI ~ 2.5/13/40 lms.

It's an outright slaughter (except for the warranty/CS, of course).

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 219 L10 four mode and I've found that the moonlight mode is at the low limit for me as far as usability goes. Any lower and I can't use it. I really like the spread between modes, too. It's not a perfect light, but, it's a great light for the price. The T10 ML mode is actually quite bright by comparison and I've found that it's bright enough to momentarily blind me with dark adapted eyes. My ThruNite Ti is considerably dimmer than my T10 (though, considerably brighter than my L10) and its actually become my light of choice for late night potty runs in its permanent ML configuration.