Ultra Clear Lens and Kaidomain HD lenx - how durable?

awesome

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!
I'm looking to upgrade my 2D Maglite with a Malkoff drop-in and figured I might as well update the lens and get a camless reflector (so I don't have to cut the stock reflector up) as well. How durable is the Ultra Clear Lens and the same for the Kaidomain multi-layer coated HD lens? is one better than the other? My dad and I are somewhat prone to dropping things (3-4ft only, nothing too bad) and I'm afraid that I'll smash the lens but I want the best light transmittance possible. Thanks for any help you can provide!

LilKevin715

Enlightened
You would probably be better off with a hardcoat acrylic lens if you are looking for durability. The maglite bezel isn't designed well for good shock protection.

awesome

Newly Enlightened
Well I just noticed on flashlightlensdotcom that they have an UCLp AR hardcoat that's a compromise between the UCL and what you suggested. Does anyone know first hand if the UCLp hardcoat is just as durable as the regular hardcoat acrylic?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly, I've dropped my 3D Mag from a height of 3+ft onto concrete on a couple of occasions. And that didn't shatter the UCL lens I have in it. So it would appear that these lenses are tougher than you might think. Of course, I don't know if it gets weakened with every drop and will eventually shatter. And It probably wouldn't hold up if the lens happened to make contact with something solid. But it would appear these lenses can stand up to SOME abuse. One more thing. I got mine at flashlightlens.com rather than Kaidomain. Honestly, I would go this route even though shipping isn't free. It's better to pay a few bucks for shipping and get it in a few days than get free shipping and wait a month.

awesome

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the UCLp AR lens so I'll try to post my thoughts and some pics of how it affected INCAN and the Malkoof drop in when it arrives from flashlightlens (though that horse has probably been beat to death). I want a new reflector but I'm not seeing too many options other than Kaidomain, seems like all the custom builders don't have any or they closed production. Someone know a site or a builder selling?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the UCLp AR lens so I'll try to post my thoughts and some pics of how it affected INCAN and the Malkoof drop in when it arrives from flashlightlens (though that horse has probably been beat to death). I want a new reflector but I'm not seeing too many options other than Kaidomain, seems like all the custom builders don't have any or they closed production. Someone know a site or a builder selling?

Unfortunately, you might just have to go with Kaidomain and wait the wait. On the other hand, one good thing about Kaidomain is that you can get smooth, light orange peel, and medium orange peel reflectors.

Latest posts