How many times a day do you use your light?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every night when I head for bed, that's rock solid.

At work, it depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes once a week because I dropped something under the work table or hours on end for one or two days when I'm working on a machine in a dark corner.

kj2

Flashaholic
Depends on what the day brings ;)
Sometimes once or twice. But during the winter, when the days are darker, I use my lights more often.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constantly,which is why I carry so many!

There is little that I do that is better without added light.

Probably 20-100 times? I don't really count but it is a lot.

Ed

N_N_R

Enlightened
Many! 50% of the time I just play with them, though :D But, really, I use it at least once for... checking if the dog's on the balcony(it's dark there), to enter some important password where one mistake in the dark wouldn't be insignificant; very often as a night lamp, producing a nice soft light in the whole room for an hour...let's say at least 10 :D

Knight_Light

Enlightened
I wonder how people would define using a light. Is it how many times the light is turned on or turned off? Is it how many tasks are performed? Is there a minimum length of time the light has to be on for it to count. For me the definition would be anytime the light is turned on regardless of task and length of time. So for me the answer would be five or six dozen. :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the day for my. If I'm at work and got to examine the construction site then quite often but for a normal day for me about 0-2 times per day.

rayman

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
5-50 times a day.
it all depends, if I'm sitting around home, on my day off, then maybe once as I check all the doors are locked and get into bed.
if I'm doing a night shift, I might use my light to illuminate a scene to photograph (seriously, the Moddo triple is awesome for this, helps to AF out to maybe 30m and produces usable illumination much further than that)
To look in the "pool gear*) cupboard, to find a house number, to signal a journalist where I am, to see where im walking, and any number of other uses.

* - pool gear in this context, has nothing to do with swimming, it's shared equipment we need, but don't use often enough (or it's to expensive) to issue to everyone individually

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
To the people who say they need it only a few times a day, leave it at home for a day or two and count how many times you wish you had it, I bet its more than you think.

Once we've became use to having it always there we begin to use it without even needing to think about it, I bet a lot of people here will use it more like double the first number they give. The people saying upwards of 50 times are closer than they think.

Just my 2¢...

JJohn

Enlightened
Around 5 times per day. Every night I walk my dog. The light is turned on for some of the walk. I still use a light rather than turning the house lights on to check the kids at night. Usually a bathroom trip after the wife is in bed and I don't want to disturb her by turning the room lights back on. And, there is the other times looking for something that has been dropped, checking the pets, finding a contact lens,...

My family has also seen the value of carrying a small light with you when you are out at night. They do laugh at the fact that I almost always have a small light with me, but they often ask to use it when the need arrises.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
um, well, 25-50 times a day, more in the winter, less in the summer. However the number of times I use a light is not a good measure for me. Rather, how long does it take me to discharge a cell or battery pack? ie: in my use, cells for any Li-Ion single-cell (RCR123/14500) lights (now only 1 left) would need to be charged at least once a day in the summer, maybe a couple times a day in the winter. Single-cell AA lights might be able to last thru more than a day, but I still charge them anyway when I go to bed since I do not like lights dimming down when I am using them. I often use single-cell lights close to their highest output. Multi-cell lights or those with 18650 should last a couple days.

Last edited:

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I do electrical work, so I'm in the dark a lot. Sooooo, frequently. When I'm doing service calls, several times a day. Construction, not so much. Enough though that I won't leave the house without a spare eneloop in my pocket.

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
I use my lights about 2-3 times a day, mostly during the night when I head out to work and during the early morning hours when I come home.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
Once or twice a night when I let the dog out, to see if there are any critters in the yard. I have seen cats , skunks, possums, rabbits ,snakes, etc. I try to see them before she does.