Is this becomming "The Standard" for general EDC?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this becomming \"The Standard\" for general EDC?

A regulated one watt LS powered by two CR123 batteries.

Is this where we are headed for a general purpose EDC? Should it be? What should it look like - an L4 with one watt instead of five watt? If price was not an issue, what might ideally replace the "common 2AA aluminum flashlight" that has become probally THE SINGLE MOST POPULAR (small) flashlight among the general population?

(the term "general population" is intended to omit "tactical applications")

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is this becomming \"The Standard\" for general EDC?

[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
A regulated one watt LS powered by two CR123 batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different people have different needs for an EDC light.

If your EDC light is actually used for a couple of hours a day, then yes, I would agree with you.

However, for me, the FireFly has become my EDC. It is just awesome, it sits on my keychain, and is ready to give me 2 hours plus of bright light, yet is small and does not get in the way.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Re: Is this becomming

I like it better that way - a regulated THREE watt LS powered by two CR123 batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep-should be a 5 watt...same size as the L4...but...and this is where Surefire has uterly failed...should have at *least* one lower power level option...slightly brighter that an Arc AAA. If they had done this I would have one right now...but they don`t so I don`t. I am considering the L1...but hold out hope that SF will come around to my way of thinking...wake up and see the light LOL... Arc or Surfire...whomever comes up with a 123 batt...5 watt light with multi power levels first, gets the money from my wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Badbeams,

I totally agree, why the L4, 5 and 6 have no level settings is beyond me.

Looks like Arc is on the way with the LS4, and I am betting the LS5 will be adjustable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben H

Enlightened

I like the ideas that I am hearing. I am excited to see the next generation of flashlights. I've got incandescent flashlights, unregulated LED flashlights, and regulated flashlights, but I don't have any user selected, multi-power output Luxeon flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I love my L4, but if I could manually select the output level....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.......it would be the coolest flashlight ever made! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Now I have to wait untill at least March for the LS4. I guess I better start saving my money.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is this becomming \"The Standard\" for general EDC?

[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
If price was not an issue, what might ideally replace the "common 2AA aluminum flashlight" that has become probally THE SINGLE MOST POPULAR (small) flashlight among the general population?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arc LS, with 2 AA kroil battery pack, rechargable batteries and a subdued poscket clip (of the CMG Infinity Ultra)...

Fits everywhere my mini-mags dod and is a much more usefull light.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i agree with you, badbeams. for now my A2 will have to suffice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

An EDC of the correct size with a 5W with multiple power levels really would be the ultimate. Full power for when you really need it (rarely, but important) and around 1W light levels for normal/upclose use. It shouldn't be dimmer than a 1W as then that mode would get rarely used. Keep a keychain (arcAAA) light for that purpose. Underdriven 5W should be more effecient than a 1W I would assume too.

Only other light you'd need then would be a tight beamed overdriven LuxIII/5W with some side spill, in a larger body for long distance searching. That would be idealy the 3 lights I'd ever need.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

So we would be "content" if we had a L4 with an L1 type switch? What settings - full five watts and one watt?

From the Surefire website:

"The L1's digitally controlled two-stage switch allows the user to choose either a low-output beam for close-up work or a high-output beam for full power applications -- simply depress the tailcap switch halfway for the low beam, continue depressing to activate the high beam. Twist the tailcap to achieve constant light on either beam setting."

Does anyone know how the setup works? Is the switch "intelligent" or does it simply connect to one of two power levels which are determined in the head?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah a 5W driven to 1W powerlevels.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 1W main used setting; full 5W optional setting. As my 1W illumalux is very usefull at it's ~1W output. But it would be nice for the extra power boost to light up further distances a bit more.

Rather than 5W or 1W main, and considerably less than 1W sencondary. As I think an EDC of this size you won't be carrying it to light up stuff the same as a 5mm led light, when keychain lights do the same thing.

Empath

Flashaholic

I seriously doubt that Luxeon anything will become a EDC for me. While it may be interesting to keep trying to get brighter, my preference is for adequate light. A single 5mm one cell light is the proper size for a pocket, and still provides plenty of light for emergencies, filling in the shadows for up close tasks, and such. For more specialized tasks, I might make use of my other lights, but not for EDC.

Of course not everyone may be the same. What originally attracted me to the LED, is what I still like in the LED. The 1W and 5W loose a lot of that attraction for me.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
I seriously doubt that Luxeon anything will become a EDC for me. While it may be interesting to keep trying to get brighter, my preference is for adequate light. A single 5mm one cell light is the proper size for a pocket, and still provides plenty of light for emergencies, filling in the shadows for up close tasks, and such. For more specialized tasks, I might make use of my other lights, but not for EDC.

Of course not everyone may be the same. What originally attracted me to the LED, is what I still like in the LED. The 1W and 5W loose a lot of that attraction for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif Thats so sad/sick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess I was thinking of something carried in a sheath on a belt...not pocket.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Empath,

I do not understand what you are saying at all.

Example: I measured the current of my 3D mag which had semi-used batteries. It was pulling about 700mA. I then measured the current of my Blaster Jr. It read about 420mA. Even though the mag was getting much more current, the beam of the Blaster Jr. still killed it!

I think this is part of the beauty of LEDs; I can use an incandescent "D" cell light for a few hours and a "AA" LED light for the same amount of time, and even though the incandescent light is getting more current, the LED will still be brighter.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on what kind of EDC you are talking about. A keychain 5mm would be an EDC. But a belt sized 2x123 light would be EDC for some, and carry on certain times only for others. I was talking about the 2nd one. More like a take with you EDC, but not big as a mag or anything. Can fit in a pocket when you go somewhere, but not for being in your pocket all the time...

Likebright

Enlightened

ARK LSH-P for me.
The L-4 when camping.
But the ARK LSH-P is just the right size for all the time carrying and bright enough but not too bright. Just right.
Mike

Empath

Flashaholic

The EDC I was talking of is the flashlight you keep with you everyday, all the time. I don't carry things clipped to my belt all the time; only when there's an anticipated need.

Before retirement, particularly since I worked nights, I always carried a Badboy modded MiniMag and and a UK 2L on my belt while I was working. When I'd get home, off they'd come. What I kept in my pocket though was always there. Presently, my only EDC is an Arc AA.

Of course I have all kind of lights for special purposes. One can't have too many flashlights, you know?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see what Empath is saying. I don't holster/clip any of the lights I normally carry. I also have an office job that doesn't require *any* sort of flashlight (unfortunately!!!).

Still, I EDC either a heavily modified X5T (2x123, small & slim) in my back pocket vertically next to my wallet or a CNC-123 (1x123, small, less slim) in my front pocket.

Either of these provide plenty of light for anything I might possibly need.

Of course, I also carry an Arc AAA on my keychain, but I don't carry my keys around all day so I don't suppose it's really an EDC. But, ironically it is probably been really used the most - when I needed a light and hadn't specifically brought one for the purpose. For example, the Arc AAA has saved the day when walking my wife to the car late at night after a company party or un-snagging part of her coat from a rogue nail head on a bench in a dark church at a wedding. When I know I'm going to need a light I'll specifically bring a real light (2x123 or better), these are situations like walking the dog, camping, inspecting my property late at night, etc.

EDC'ing a luxeon-based light is primarily just for fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I can certainly understand where Empath is coming from. The 2-lights that are always on me while I'm dressed is the ARC-AAA in the pocket and the ARC-LSHP belt mounted in the ARC pouch. I too work in an office environment and the ARC on the belt really goes un-noticed. I've tried, but I can not EDC any 2-cell light. There is just no comfortable way for me to carry it and I won't carry that on my belt. For me, even putting anything larger than the ARC-AAA in my pocket is uncomfortable. I believe the FireFly is the smallest 123-cell light that I own and that doesn't feel right in my front pockets.