Coin battery WATERPROOF LED for Dog Collar?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Similar Thread was started here, but I want to ask yall your opinion.

I want to put a light for EDC use for my dog, on her collar, with her dog tags.

Any Coin battery light with constant on would do, but I have two added requirements:
Waterproof
LOTS of side spill (recessed LED would be bad)

Here is what I have come up with.

1. AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE LED "throw away" light. I know they are out there, I just don't have any good sources. at 2-4 dollars each, if they get wet and stop working, I just replace it. Any suggestions for sources?

2. The CMG O-4 mini task light
O4-triangle_blue.jpg

Waterproof, translucent, about 10 bucks, constant on, this looks like what I am looking for

3. The INOVA Microlight, the Translucent model
emimicrocw.jpg

This is what I currently have on her collar, and the only drawback is that it is not WATERPROOF, but only WATERRESISTANT. OK for the rain, but not for swimming (which she does often!)

4. Too big for my dog, (a 15 lb Jack Russell Terrier) but might be perfect for larger dogs, is the UK 2AAA Mini Pocket eLED
und2aaaledb.jpg

Th just seems that I keep on misplacing her lighted collar, and if I had an EDC light on her collar, she would never be without a light, and it is important to have a light when a dog is being walked off the leash, even in a remote area.

Any thoughts?

paulr

Flashaholic
If the light is supposed to be mainly a locator, then maybe you want a blinking light. Otherwise, try one of the Countycomm $1.00 lights. Squirt some hot-melt glue around the seam and put some electrical tape over the slide switch, and it should be pretty waterproof. You'll have to peel back the tape to turn the light on and off, but that's probably tolerable.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Princeton Tec Scout headlamp? Uses 4 coin cells, you might be able to put the collar where the headband normally goes. PT says its "waterproof" has power and blink modes, but is $19. 2 LEDs, don't know if they spill enough for you.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If the light is supposed to be mainly a locator, then maybe you want a blinking light. Otherwise, try one of the Countycomm $1.00 lights. Squirt some hot-melt glue around the seam and put some electrical tape over the slide switch, and it should be pretty waterproof. You'll have to peel back the tape to turn the light on and off, but that's probably tolerable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Countrycomm 1 dollar light is just what the DR ordered! They even have BLUE, which I think, would be even better than white for visibility.

Thanks for the suggestion!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE coin LED light on Dog collar-WORKS GREAT!

Well, I walked my 15 lb Jack Russel Terrier last night, with her new EDC light/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif, and the light worked out FANTASTICLY!

Currently, I put a Inova Microlight, translucent body, on her dog collar, with her other dog tags, and just before walking her, I turned it on.

It was soo easy to spot her, even from far off, because of the light.

I am very impressed with how well this works, considering that the light hangs under her chin, and not on top of her.

AND, as the Microlight has almost no weight, and is plastic (not metal), it is no more or less bothersom than her dog tags are (probably less).

Now for the durability testing, and battery changing! One battery set should last about 2-3 weeks.

I would rather put something like the ARC AAA, because of the single AAA battery, and constant light output, but the metal casing might wack her neck or lip or chin when it is swinging.

Anyway, it the Inova Translucent Microlight does not work out, I will either try the CMG O-4 or "20 for Twenty" lights from Countrycomm.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: UPDATE coin LED light on Dog collar-WORKS GREAT!

I think those coin cell lights dim considerably after just an hour or two of runtime, so you may have to change it sooner than a couple of weeks.

Also, that UKE 2aaa light or an Arc AAA might be ok if you attach it solidly to her collar with rubber bands, instead of letting it swing around where it might bother her. You could glue some kind of diffuser (plastic ball with rough surface) over the end so you can see it from more directions.

Overamp

Newly Enlightened
Re: UPDATE coin LED light on Dog collar-WORKS GREA

For about a year now my 2 dogs have been running at night with Petzel type head lights. They wear them like a collar with the light shinning forward. I can see where they are and they can see where they are going. It's a pretty funny sight my flashaholic dogs.

TOB9595

Enlightened

I used a blinking light on Koko, a cocker, till she had a seizure probably induced by the light.

The $1 lights from CountyComm would do the trick nicely.

I bought the Auroralight for Koko and it is the greatest. I can see that blacker than night cocker now. In the woods, everywhere.
I live in the woods of NJ...Yes there are still woods....

Even the small led's would be blanked out sometimes from something in the woods. I have no trouble spotting her now.
http://www.auroralites.com
Tom

paulr

Flashaholic

Another light you could look at might be the Tekna Splash-Lite. Waterproof, plastic, 1x123 powered with a #222 screw-base incan bulb, very light weight. You could mod the bulb to use an orange-red LED for super-long runtime and visibility. You'd want to use red, orange, or yellow in order to run on a single 3V cell without needing a boost converter. Or you could use a Luxeon in direct drive mode at 3 volts, for pretty long runtime at reduced brightness.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
TOB9595 said:
I used a blinking light on Koko, a cocker, till she had a seizure probably induced by the light.

The $1 lights from CountyComm would do the trick nicely.

I live in the woods of NJ...Yes there are still woods....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildwood State Park! I have many fond memories of camping there with my Grandfather and Cousin . . . That is probably where my flasholic tendendencys started, as a very young child (how come I ghet this cheap light, I want a big light like the adults have!)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool lights!

I am wondering how bright they are in real life.

I have to say, however, that the coin light on the dog collar is working out very well, even if I have to change it once a week, I will just buy a boatload of coin batteries.

It is nice, because it is ALWAYS on her, and I don't have to remember to put it on or take it out or put it in the truck, AND if we happen to be somewhere, and she is outside, I just turn on the light.

I keep on thinking that I want to try a "2 AA" light, like the eLED from UKe or the ShoreLite V-1 from Glowbug, but the size, weight and output of the Microlight is just TOO PERFECT for my application.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to use a Glo-Toob waterproof marker light and they come in many colors. I think they have an extremely long run time on 1 batt. but i'm not sure . Lighthound.com has em.

It's battery should last much longer than a coin cell and it's said to be really waterproof for when the dog goes for a swim. . check into it .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I know a place that sells blinky LED lights that look like a small bone with 2 red LEDs in it running off two AG13 batteries. They are about $1 each

altoon

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid to use flashing lights on my dogs because of the danger of seizures.

My dogs have little Photon clones clipped to their Nite Ize Dawg collars. These Photon clones come in translucent cases so the whole case lights up. Cheapest price on these is 50 for $19.95 from Emilion:
http://emilionworkshop.com/oscommer...th=39&osCsid=a885e904ae7242986f4124ae1fe2aaee

Smaller quantities and color leds are available from qualitychinagoods.com and lighthound.com.

I like the idea of using the UK 2AA eLED for this purpose too. Seems like you could clip it on the collar and use the hat clip to keep it from hanging lose. Thanks for the suggestion; I've always wanted one of these but I never had a good excuse to get one.