Why is there a short pause before my XML flashlight lights up

Flashlightaholic

Newly Enlightened
I have a flashlight with an xml u2 emitter. When i click the end cap on button there is a distinct pause before the flashlight lights up. Otherwise it works fine. I have many other lights that start the instant the button is pressed. Could this be a fault with the LED or switch or is this normal in some cases ?
cheers

Flashlightaholic

Newly Enlightened
Oh yea sorry. It is the MTE brand model G33. Runs xml emitter. Tried different brand 18650 batteries in it...all fully charged.
Always a brief delay before torch comes on. All my other torches come on instantly the on button is depressd.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Not sure, but maybe it has an electronic switch. Such switches often are not as instantaneous as a mechanical one. Another thought: if you're accustomed to forward clickies, a reverse clicky could seem slow to respond in comparison. Forward clickies activate the light as you press down. Reverse switches activate the light after the click, as you let off pressure with your finger.

harro

Enlightened
My M3C4 Eagletacs ( 1 x SST50, 1 x X-ML, Tri R5, Tri X-ML ) all exhibit this same startup characteristic. They all have the tailcap switch fitted. If switch is on and you use the mag ring, you dont notice it. If ring is on and switch is off, then you operate light with switch, there's a distinct pause. They never fail to run, though. Who knows??, probably as Rexlion and KJ2 have said.
Mike.

:shrug:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Could it be that your other lights have forward clickies and that has a reverse clicky? Forward clickies come on as you push the button, reverse clickies only come on after you release it.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
Slow start ? In fact it is because it checks for firmware update ! Turn it off !

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd bet that the driver just has a slow response time. I see no reason a faulty LED would work fine but turn on after a delay. I've noticed this with different lights as well, some drivers just respond a little less quickly to the switch.

Flashlightaholic

Newly Enlightened
Some flashlight have a "slow" start. This is probably done to go easy on the batteries.

I think you may be onto it.. It still pauses even after the rear button is fully released.... it is possibly the fact these units draw almost almost 3 Amps it may be set up like this to ease the power on rather than suddenly dump full load instantly

ROB21

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with your light, but if its digitally controlled, the problem could rest in the logic controller programming if the code is not optimized properly. Or, they could have gone with a slower and less expensive RAM component.

Racer

Enlightened
I have a few lights with the so-called "soft start":

Sunwayman M20C
Sunwayman V11R
Nitecore MT1A

It's a little bit annoying, but not a deal breaker for me.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thinking back, the pause way very noticable when going from my LD10 to LD12 and LD22's