NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What's a canceled tv show you wish they'd bring back, even if it was just re-runs?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: What's a canceled tv show you wish they'd bring back, even if it was just re-run

Police Story
    MacGyver
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

Default Re: What's a canceled tv show you wish they'd bring back

Survivorman

Default Re: What's a canceled tv show you wish they'd bring back

Quote Originally Posted by mesa232323 View Post
    Survivorman
    Ive wished for this one a few times myself, but then comes the question, where would Les film new episodes that would be new? He's done every continent and climate type at least twice by now..

Default Re: What's a canceled tv show you

I don't want reruns but I wish Fringe were still on the air. Would have loved to watch continuing adventures of Walter in the future. Of course you'd have to get Olivia there too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: What's a st re-runs?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonironman View Post
    Mission Impossible (from Peter Graves years)
    Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    Deadwood (HBO series)
    +1 for Deadwood. I don't understand why a show that good ever gets cancelled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I wish they'd made more episodes of the old Police Squad before Leslie Nielsen passed away. He had a real knack for deadpan comedy.

Flashaholic

+ Firefly

and Freaks and Geeks
    A master learns from a fool but a fool cannot learn from a master

I miss the show ALF
    ~Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst~

Default Re: What's a canceled tv show you wish they'd bring back, even if it was just re-run

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post
    ... Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    In a similar "vein," Angel.

A fantastic series that ended in a way that should have been better. (Hell, I wrote the next episode myself. Including the premise for the next season. Obviously not officially though. Just as a fan. But it definitely takes into account that suicidal ending and resolves it in a non-chessy way.)

Also, the old Mission: Impossible series. Though thankfully I'm able to enjoy it in re-runs on the MeTV channel at 2am M-F. Leonard Nimoy was far better as Paris than he ever was as Spock on that other show. (Yeah, I said it.)

Also, Shewolf of London. It ended with the two main characters being accidentally turned into bunnies!

I knew it was going to get cancelled when the bikers in the biker bar turned out to also be international spies. That was when I knew ...

Turn them back into humans, move them back to London, ditch the B.S. comedy element (reason why the fans abandoned the show in droves), bring back the more serious Gothic Horror that the show started out with, along with the very creative and never-before-seen-never-since-since story lines, and put the actress back into the original werewolf costume instead of that pathetic rented Halloween monstrosity! That was the winning forumla. For some bizarre reason, the idiot producers ditched the supporting cast entirely, moved the two main characters to L.A., and turned into a freaking comedy!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by EZO View Post
    I've seen all the Firefly episodes and the movie more than once and like many I loved them. I think Joss Whedon's secret recipe for success in all his endeavors has always been his ability to create particularly endearing characters who perfectly populate the scripts he works with. This was perhaps especially true of Firefly.
    Whedon's problem is that he has forgotten how to put in a well-balanced cast of characters. Yeah, Firefly was great. But you're just not going to appeal to a wide audience when all of the main cast members are basically Han Solo. You can only have one.

It's also why Dollhouse failed too. You've got an entire cast of individuals who fall into one of two categories. Victims who get their personalities erased and are sometimes rented out to high-paying clients as actual mindless sex slaves. Or ... Those who work at the dollhouse, know what's going on, don't do anything to put an end to it, and are basically immoral jerks that the audience couldn't care less about. When the rumors started that Alpha was going to launch an attack on the dollhouse in an upcoming episode, I cheered! Most of the fans probably did. Finally, someone capable of taking down the dollhouse and freeing the "slaves." And then it turned out that Alpha was a psychopath who was infused with multiple personalities all at once. Except for his own, which he deleted forever. Nice ... Give the fans one character that they can actually get behind, and then pull the rug out from under us by making him a deranged lunatic with incredible combat skills who likes to slash the "dolls" (both male and female) across the face multiple times. So basically, just another jerk. Then it turns out that the last character the fans could get behind, the detective, decided to sell out completely to save one of the "dolls." He barely even tried to put a stop to the dollhouse.

Ironically, Whedon is probably still wondering why Dollhouse got cancelled. Well, when every single character with free will turns out to be an absolute jerk or just easily quits, and then you toss out an episode where you make it blatantly clear that the dolls have no escape whatsoever ... Yeah, no one's going to care about your show. Buffy had a balanced cast, so did Angel. They both had successful runs.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Just remembered this one. It's from the BBC. Had a successful run, and even an ending. I'd love to see it back on the air. But in this age of political correctness, it's NEVER gonna happen.

'Allo 'Allo!

Set in Nazi-occupied France. It stars a womanizing, French, middle-aged cafe owner, with a lazy eye. Turns out, he's the leader of the French Resistance. He has to deal with several Nazi characters who enter his Cafe and who try to run the town. This includes a young, ruthless, Gestapo officer. An aging commander. And a homosexual Lieutenant who constantly has his eye on Renee. (The cafe owner.)

Oh BTW ... Did I mention it's a comedy!

Dharma & Greg.

I Love Lucy.

The Dick Van Dyke Show.
    Pick the pooch!

Cupid, with Jeremy Piven, and Paula Marshall. Goodness gracious, Paula Marshall.

~ C.G.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 07-13-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Just thought of another one ... The Bionic Woman.

The episodes in which Jaime Summers had to battle those equally strong but Uber creepy Fem-Bots that scared the Hell out of her. Especially after their faces were knocked off, you saw all the electronics underneath, and they STILL kept right on coming! Often a series will milk a premise for beyond all it is worth. But I would have liked more episodes of Jaime battling the Fem-Bots all on her own. Back before the first Terminator movie came out, we had The Bionic Woman battling Fem-Bots.

Corner Gas. A Canadian sitcom.

....Why would I want to watch re-runds, with commercials, when I can watch the show on DVD without commercials?

~
    Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    ....Why would I want to watch re-runds, with commercials, when I can watch the show on DVD without commercials?
    Netflix or Hulu are $8/month, you have access to all seasons, all episodes. Most TV DVDs are ~$20 for one season.

Not all the online services' shows have commercials, and some are very brief. Of what I've seen, 30 Rock over on Netflix has no commercials, the nightly shows on Hulu (Daily Show/Colbert/Leno/Fallon) have one or two commercials per commercial segment. And they don't add commercials where there weren't any to begin with; Amazon Video (free with subscription to their Prime shipping service) has PBS and Showtime content as-is..

~
    Chance
    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Netflix or Hulu are $8/month, you have access to all seasons, all episodes. Most TV DVDs are ~$20 for one season.

Not all the online services' shows have commercials, and some are very brief. Of what I've seen, 30 Rock over on Netflix has no commercials, the nightly shows on Hulu (Daily Show/Colbert/Leno/Fallon) have one or two commercials per commercial segment. And they don't add commercials where there weren't any to begin with; Amazon Video (free with subscription to their Prime shipping service) has PBS and Showtime content as-is..
    Yep, Netflix is what I was referring to......what the heck is a re-runds?!

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Yep, Netflix is what I was referring to......what the heck is a re-runds?!
    A quick search online confirms Netflix has no ads or commercials. I'm watching Fallon on Hulu now, the commercial segments are three 30 second clips; I wonder if I'm getting fewer commercials for the entire show than a network viewer is getting during a single commercial break..

Stormchasers. Apparently it's not coming back. (I heard team Twistex got hit this year, father and son and friend died in OK tornado)

I could say Firefly, I should say Buffy, but I'll go for Supercar, a little remembered precursor to Fireball XL5 and all the 'supermarionation' British TV shows of 40-50 years ago. Mike Mercury, a Yank, used Supercar to battle a bald dude called, I think, Master Spy (who himself was so obviously the model for Mike Meyers' Dr Evil 30 years later).
    It is better to light up one LED than to curse the darkness.

"The Night Gallery."

But only so that it can be done right. The series ended by having become one tired episode after another featuring New Age crap. Also, when the pilot episode turns out to be a collection of the absolute best stories that you will see during a series' entire run ... Oh yeah, that's Hella bad!! Never seen that happen with a TV show before or since.

It wasn't that long ago but the History Channel had some excellent documentaries from the BBC especially about the First and Second World Wars and some pretty interesting series like Tale of the Gun and Future Weapons. I haven't seen these aired in some time and it appears they've replaced with series like American Pickers and Shelby the Swamp Guy.

Firefly
    Dead Like Me
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Dasies.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Dead Like Me
    George already revealed herself to her sister. And if you try to search "Ellen Bluth", all you get in the results is Portia Di Rossi - her Arrested Development character is Ellen Bluth.

I was thinking about something else also. Although it refers more to a channel than a specific series.

I would like to see Discovery Channel/ National Geographic to go back to their original roots. When they had interesting documentaries, had a lot of different series. When the documentaries where based on (mostly) science and facts and not like "Finding Bigfoot" or "Mermaids" which were obviously fake or altered. When the car items where limited to Wheeler Dealers and a select few other programs. Nowadays it is mostly "Car & Motorcycle Channel With A Moderate Amount Of Actual Discoveries And Maybe Some Survival Shows". At least that's the Discovery Channel we receive here (don't know about their programming on the other side of the ocean).

The Dungeons and Dragons animated series. I don't recall if they ever made it home.

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    It wasn't that long ago but the History Channel had some excellent documentaries from the BBC especially about the First and Second World Wars and some pretty interesting series like Tale of the Gun and Future Weapons. I haven't seen these aired in some time and it appears they've replaced with series like American Pickers and Shelby the Swamp Guy.
    The History Channel did have some good series... what was the one with R. Lee Ermey talking about various guns and weapons?? "Locked and Loaded"? I've got a few I saved to DVD. Nowadays it's all reality shows, and they really bore the heck out of me. I liked American Pickers for a while, partly because I met Mike Wolf when he was running a bike shop (he had a lot of cool antique bikes!).

The Discovery Channel also seems to have adopted the "All reality shows all the time" format. Any idea if Mythbusters is still active? I'm going to hate it when they finally pack it up and move on.

Is it too early to wish for the return of Futurama?? There are just a few new episodes left, and then it's gone. Technically, it's already returned from the grave, since Comedy Central brought it back to life after Fox killed it. Is there any chance for a second resurrection?? Or is it just a little too techno-nerdy for the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    if you try to search "Ellen Bluth", all you get in the results is Portia Di Rossi - her Arrested Development character is Ellen Bluth.
    The actress playing George is Ellen Muth, not Bluth.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast