How to make side gate quieter!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some graphite on the hinges on this gate because the squeaking was annoying me and now it shuts really well and now the cheap little gate latch makes a lot of noise.
ae7cdccd-0ab2-497f-9e34-bb7a3511168a.jpg

Any ideas for a more advanced gate latch that won't make so much noise, or other mechanism to help slow the gate from slamming shut with the wind?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Find some plastic to slip over the round bit on the gate, jacket off cable or heat shrink.

Norm

Perhaps some closed-cell foam between the gate and the stop,, the stuff used for insulating around doors. 1/8'' thick?

Nice gate! Did you build it? :thumbsup:

~ Chance

Edit: It L@@Ks like there isn't a stop. I'd screw a 1x1 onto the post, then the foam.

Last edited:

inetdog

Enlightened
Any ideas for a more advanced gate latch that won't make so much noise, or other mechanism to help slow the gate from slamming shut with the wind?

Try a standard or heavy duty screen door closer. Or else a separate latch or prop to hold the gate open.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
I would definitely use the heat shrink tubing and the gate stop with foam. Another option for the screen door closer would be a spring or a weight & pulley system to slow the gate down. Get creative with the weight - using epoxy, you can attach a hook to almost anything. You could make the weight practically disappear or go artistic.