Candlepower/Lumen Same Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between candlepower and lumen? Candlepower seems simple, the light of one candle.
I just found out about ARC Flashlights today. I suddenly feel the need for a AAA. How does that compare to the Maglite 1 AAA light? (Brightness and runtime) Maybe dumb questions but I want to learn. Thanks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most CPFers will agree: the Arc AAA kicks the Maglite AAA's butt... and pretty hard too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Candlepower are lumens are both measurements of light, however they are very different.

A lumen is a measure of overall light output. Candlepower is the brightness in a particular spot.

Say you have a flashlight which you can adjust the beam pattern. Ideally, no matter if the beam is a spot or a flood the lumen rating of that light should be the same. The candlepower rating however will be much higher for the spot beam, than the flood.

The Arc AAA is a great light. You will be pleased! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the arc aaa and mag are no comparison at all. i'd take one arc aaa over 500 solitairs.

as illy said, lumens is overall output, whereas candlepower is intestity at a given point.

an example:
a laser could have a candlepower rating of several hundred thousand, but a *very* low, single digit lumen rating.
it's obviously not very useful, since the beam is so narrow that you can't see anything with it.

so you can't really compare lumens to candlepower. out of a 100,000candlepower laser or a 3 lumen arc aaa, i'd much rather navigate with the arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
2watt. Welcome to the CPF you have bunch of friends here,you just haven't met them yet. ARC is the best little light you will find for it purposes.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!! This is very helpfull!
I use a cordless mouse (uses AAA batteries) so I should have an endless supply of batteries for the Arc-AAA. Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.