Block number

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Samsung phone from T-Mobile that has a "hide number" feature. I like to have a bit of anonymity when calling some people. My understanding is when I make outgoing calls, this feature blocks my name/number from being viewed by others with caller id (landline or mobile). My question to anyone else with the same carrier/make is does this feature really work? I called T-Mobile CS and was given 15 different answers to Sunday. One told me it blocks name and number, another told me it only blocks the number but shows my name, a few even told me it doesn't work period. Googled it and the consensus is it works, but I want to be absolutely sure.

Kinda last resort to post this on CPF, but anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not try calling a friend with caller ID and a land line and/or a friend with a cell phone? Try it with several friends or family members to see if it works across different carriers.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do as EZO says and see if it works/blocks your name and number. You could also try adding *69 to the beginning of the number you want to keep from seeing your information. That works for me on my Sprint Android phone.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Why would you even want to? Many people nowadays, me included, refuse to answer phone calls when the number is either blocked or not familiar. In fact, I activated anonymous call blocking through my phone provider. They also let me block up to 30 numbers. I just wish I could also block entire area codes, such as 800 or 888, and/or use wildcards in my blocked numbers. It seems the do not call list isn't doing much good. Even with all the blocking, each day I get up to ten calls from numbers I don't recognize. When I look them up, just about all of them are telemarketers.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For instance, you're calling a nuisance number to see who's at the other end, hoping they'll answer, but you don't want them to know who's calling.

Chances are when you get a call from a nuisance telemarketing firm the Caller-ID number is spoofed and does not reflect where they're really calling from.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Chances are when you get a call from a nuisance telemarketing firm the Caller-ID number is spoofed and does not reflect where they're really calling from.
A lot of these sort of calls just come up as overseas in Australia.

Norm

inetdog

Enlightened
I have a Samsung phone from T-Mobile that has a "hide number" feature. I like to have a bit of anonymity when calling some people. My understanding is when I make outgoing calls, this feature blocks my name/number from being viewed by others with caller id (landline or mobile). My question to anyone else with the same carrier/make is does this feature really work? I called T-Mobile CS and was given 15 different answers to Sunday. One told me it blocks name and number, another told me it only blocks the number but shows my name, a few even told me it doesn't work period. Googled it and the consensus is it works, but I want to be absolutely sure.

Kinda last resort to post this on CPF, but anyone have any experience with this?
Regardless of how a phone interacts with standard Caller ID, when YOU make a call to a toll free number (800, 8xx) or to a pay number (900) the recipient will see what your real number is. They have that right because they are paying for the call or billing you for the call. The only way to have real privacy in a situation like that is to relay your call through another number. What used to be called a "cheese box" in the mob days.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Regardless of how a phone interacts with standard Caller ID, when YOU make a call to a toll free number (800, 8xx) or to a pay number (900) the recipient will see what your real number is. They have that right because they are paying for the call or billing you for the call. The only way to have real privacy in a situation like that is to relay your call through another number. What used to be called a "cheese box" in the mob days.

This is correct. Toll-free numbers grab your caller-ID regardless of your outbound CID blocking status via ANI, which is sort of a superset of Caller-ID technology, and you can't disable it for the reason stated above.

There is another way to find out who is behind a toll free number (providing that it isn't being spoofed). You can query the RespOrg (Responsible Organization) database which lists ownership for toll-free numbers. There are many companies that provide this lookup service online, usually for free.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
For instance, you're calling a nuisance number to see who's at the other end, hoping they'll answer, but you don't want them to know who's calling.

One of many handy uses. I'm not sweating over blocking my privacy to a 800/900/emergency service number, just certain individuals. ;) Thanks for all the cool advice. :)

Last edited:

ash9nine

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mate, I have been working in Telecommunication (especially mobile) for the past 10 years in Melbourne, Australia. I have worked in Retail, Tech Support and also Admin in different Telcos. I can tell you it does work. It basically sends a command to the Teleco to stop showing your number when you call another number. But at the same time if the Teleco has disabled this feature on your account it will not work. Your phone might show the request to not show your number was successful but it isnt. What I do usually is turn on the feature via my handset and then do a test call to someone where I am. This way you definitely know.

Hope this helps.