Which LED flashlight should I buy?

artforest

Newly Enlightened
I am a contractor and carry a 2 AA mini Maglite for looking into or behind walls, above ceilings and in dark corners. I like everything about my Maglite except that it is frequently not bright enough. I have therefore started looking @ LED flashlights, but I've never used one & know nothing about them.

Please advise me based on the following parameters (in no particular order):
I need the light to be comparable in size to the miniMaglite, perhaps just a little bigger. I'd like it to have a bit of a bulge on at least one end so it will hang in a loop-type holster. I need it to be water-resistant and durable. I need a bright, tight beam of light. I'd prefer a standard battery size. Cost (up to a couple of hundred bucks) is not a major issue.

THANKS!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds as if you like your mini-Mag. You could keep it and upgrade it with a LED sandwich from dat2zip here. These come with all the parts you need to easiliy assemble your new Mag. All you need is a stock mini-mag.

Basically what they are is a converter board (BB=Badboy or MM=Madmax) with a 1 watt luxeon star LED. The Badboy boards regulate the current. Ex: the BB400 sandwich will regulate the output to the lux at 400 milli-amps. The Madmax sandwiches regulate the voltage for the luxeon.

See a review. Also, check out the "Sandwich Shop" section here on CPF.

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well.. you wont necessarily need an LED light to get something brighter.. especially with your price range (tho you wont need a light that costs a couple hundred bucks!)

but i will ask you, how much brighter than a Minimag would you like it to be?

'cause we can reccomend lights that are indeed, brighter than the Minimag, or we can reccomend lights that are as bright as as many Minimags as you can carry, combined!

if you'd still prefer an LED light, that's great and i support your decision.. LEDs can be just as bright as any handheld incandescent light, but have much better runtimes..

anyways.. to get an idea of some lights, why don't you go to this link here. http://trotto.zmoz.com/review/images/Beamshots/index.htm
it's the Beamshots Database. and you can see numerous lights compared to Maglites.. a 2D Mag and a Minimag are the most common comparisons i think.

personally, i think you'd like the Princeton Tec Tec40.. you can read a review of it here by fellow CPF member Quickbeam.. http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/princetontec_tec40.htm
it's not an LED light but it's much much nicer than a Minimag.. if you wanna stick with LED just lemme know and i wont reccomend anymore incans.

artforest

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies.

IlluminatingBikr - The idea of converting my miniMag is certainly appealing. Thanks.

BlindedByTheLite - Solely for functionality, I need something comparable to a 3 or 4-d Maglite, but not nearly as big. HOWEVER, I must admit that the idea of something much, much brighter appeals to me in a non-practical, gadget-envy kind of way to which I suspect most of the folks on CPF can relate.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
we can DEFINITELY relate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

if you'd like it comparable to a 3 or 4D Maglite, then take a look at some of the lights that run on CR123 Lithium batteries..

lithium batteries might not sound appealing, but they can be bought online for amazing deals.. like a dollar or two per battery, as opposed to Walmart charging 10 dollars per pair..

but these lights are MUCH smaller than 3D or 4D Maglites.. 5 or 6 inches long or less in most instances..

also, i edited my first reply with some helpful links.. that@the least should help you size up some lights, and hopefully give you a better idea of what you'd like.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
artforest,
Welcome to CPF!
Here are some of the most popular lights that meet your requirements:
Princeton Tec-Tec40,this is a 4AA and it's bright and will take common PR base bulbs. Light & holster here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10698107735035355&sku=PRITEC40HBKCPO
Streamlight 4AA 7LED, this is a short to medium range flood light. Light & holster here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10698107735035355&sku=STR68201
Then there are the best quality lights, ARC & Surefire.
ARC LSH-P, this is about the size of a roll of life savers & is about as bright as a full size light, but with a better beam. This comes standard for use with 1 cr123 battery, but you can get an excessory 2AA tailcap. here
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arcls.html
The Surefire E2E, this will blow away a 4D Mag but is a little smaller than a MiniMag & has a nice beam, 2xCR123 batteries. here http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?category=Sure+Fire+Lights
Surefire A2, this has a bright regulated (same brightness for 1 hour)incandescent & 3 LEDs that are rated for 20 hour runtime. Here http://www.bulldogenterprises.com/merchant.cci?step=4&id=56&pid=56
Read Quickbeams Flashlight Reviews
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html
I recommend the Surefire A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
Another vote for adding a MadMax sandwich to your current light, and/or getting an Arc LSH-P and the 2xAA battery pack - very similar profile to the MiniMag, but with a great LED, good optic, and nearly indestructible feel.

Also, not only are we familar with the 'non-practical, gadget envy' concept, it's actually our primary reason for living.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc LSL-S,
You can pick one up for $65 and throw a 2AA tailpack on it for something the size of a minimag. Get used to the Arc and enjoy it. The LS4 will be coming out, it will push the LED to around 700mA or 2.5 watts. The light is dimmable so you can vary the output for what you need.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key is: you like everything about your Mag except that sometimes it's not bright enough.

Definately get a MM or a MM+ Q2 or Q3. Get a Kroll switch, a glass lens, and if Wayne has them in (they were due in today) get a Fraen LP optic.

All of the other lights that were suggested are good, but you like your Mag; this will make a believer out of you about LED lights and you will soon buy many more. Not only will this be brighter, but you'll be amazed at how much more you'll be able see because of the pure white light as compared to the incan in the Mag.

I personally prefer the Brinkmann 2AA to the Mag (but much of that is because I'm pissed at Mag), but in your application, the Mag is better suited. It's smoother so you can remove it easier from your belt holster and the Kroll is probably more water resistant than the Brinkmanns switch. For the $50-55 that you'll spend on this mod, you'll think that you've got a $200 light compared to what you're using now.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you do, don't get an Arc LS. It's expensive, very compact, and perfect for your needs. If you buy one, you will then become another flashaholic and addicted to high-end flashlights forever.

Especially don't get the Premium LS with a hand picked, extra bright LED and the Fraen optic for a tighter, focused beam. And avoid looking at the picture of it with the optional TSP 2-AA battery pack. That will give it the same form factor as your old AA Minimag.

"Special Edition Arc LSH-P w/Tight Focus Beam Arc-LS flashlight with High Dome Luxeon LED. Premium built with P or Q flux Luxeon only."

http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arcls.html

Note also that Arc is having a special sale this week, but that's just a trick to lure you into buying. Stop before it's too late! Stick with ordinary Maglights. They're safe.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=398045&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post400979

If you need more power and reach, there is the new 5-watt LED Surefire L5. But, be warned, Surefire flashlights are just as addictive as Arcs.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=368862&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
The BB400 is better than the InReTech, as it is fully regulated (brightness remains constant for the length of the runtime)

A good small light to carry all the time would be a Dorcy AAA ($ 6 at a walmart, and brighter than most other 1AA/1AAA lights)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having poked around in the plenum to do wiring, I'd recommend the Surefire E2e. It's small and very bright. It does take 123A batteries, so doesn't meet your "standard batteries" criteria, but you can get the batteries online for $1 or so each. Just buy a bunch - they have a 10 year shelf life. Other options include the Streamlight TT-2L and the Streamlight TT-2L LED.

If you want to stick with the Minimag body, you pretty much have to go with an Inretech module or a BadBoy (BB400) module.

All of my newer reviews include a comparison shot with a minimag, so that should give you a decent idea of the sizes.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, artforest !

You said the magic words: " <font color="red"> Cost (up to a couple of hundred bucks) is not a major issue.</font> "

Arc Flashlight has a holiday sale going and you can get a package for under $200.00 that includes:

Arc LSHF-P with the tight focus Fraen Optic (this comes with both the single CR123A battery power pack as well as a spare power pack for two AA batteries.)
Arc AA LED light
Arc AAA LED light
5 CR123A batteries
Belt sheath

Arc Package #1 with Fraen tight focus optic

This package provides you with three outstanding LED lights. You won't be sorry you bought them.

The Fraen optic focuses the output of the Arc LSH-P into a tighter beam. You have the choice of using AA or CR123A cells to power it.

Next to this package from Arc, I'd recommend the A2 or E2 Surefires.

BC

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
lots of great advice, as usual! these people are passionate!

based upon what you have stated, my suggestion would be a badboy 400 or 500, or a madmax. the 400 will be a bit dimmer, but run longer, and will not dim until the end of bat life. the madmax+ is the brightest, but will have a much shorter runtime.

"Please advise me based on the following parameters (in no particular order):
I need the light to be comparable in size to the miniMaglite, perhaps just a little bigger."

the drop-in for your minimag allows you to keep the minimag form factor. use a kroll for a clickie, and add a glass lens. after deciding on what optic to use, i put a dab of loktite on the head-threads to prevent it from turning.

"I'd like it to have a bit of a bulge on at least one end so it will hang in a loop-type holster."

i think the minimag will work.

"I need it to be water-resistant and durable. I need a bright, tight beam of light."

the minimag is water resistant and durable. it is also inexpensive. if you damage it, just remove the sandwich and plop it into another minimag.
i think you will be impressed with the drop ins. they absolutely blow away a stock minimag.

here is a bonus: you can choose the type of beam that works best for your needs: stock NX05 will give a tighter, longer throw beam. NX01 will give a "fat round spot". mcflood will give a lovely big-smooth flood. it takes about 1 minute to change the optics, and they are inexpensive!

"I'd prefer a standard battery size. Cost (up to a couple of hundred bucks) is not a major issue."

you can use inexpensive alkies, or rechargeables. the rechargeables should give tremendous bang-for-the-buck.

if you were willing try 123 bats, it opens a new realm. the streamlight twintask 2L, streamlight TL-2 LED (AMAZING throw) and ARC LS (too small for your needs?) are all incredible lights.

good luck!

Bob

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand the desire for "regular" batteries. But I have to chime in here and suggest you consider flashlights using lithium 123 batteries.

For a minimag size high powered light you need alot more energy than alkaline AA batteries can provide and runtime suffers greatly.

Lithium ion rechargeables, Lithium 123 disposables or Nimh rechargeables are the way to go.

GregR

artforest

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the help. I had no idea there'd be this many options. I definitely came to the right place for advice.

As a side note, although it is inconsistent with some of my parameters, I was @ WalMart yesterday & picked up a Brinkman Legend LX just for fun. WOW! That's a lotta light for $20. Does anyone have a total output reading for one of those? I gave it to one of our foreman who is right now going thru all of the above-ceiling inspections and has been carrying a 4-D Mag around. He was pretty happy with it. I had no idea you could get 123 batteries for so cheap on line - Thanks for that info.

For me, I think I'll start with the MadMax conversion for my miniMag and, if I really get hooked as some have suggested, I'll try some others. I have some questions, tho... (Please forgive my apparent lack of knowledge in this area as revealed by my questions.)

1. What is the difference between the MM & the MM+?
2. What is the difference between the Q2 & Q3?
3. What is a "Kroll" switch?
4. What is a Fraen LP optic & where do I get one?
5. What is an NX05? Is this compatible w/ the Fraen?

I really do like the Arc LSHF-P idea, but I wonder if it's bright enuf based on the total output readings and the beamshots I've seen. I imagine I'll end up with one someday if I get hooked.

THANKS AGAIN!!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
questions 4 and 5:
the fraen and nx05 are both types of optics, or lenses, for flashlights..
the LSHF flashlight is a light that comes standard with the fraen optic.. it's more common to see lights come standard with nx05 optics, but the fraen optics concentrate the light much better and thus making lights throw farther and brighter in the center of the beam.

you might find some good information and comparison beamshots in the Arc forum.. they compare the standard LSH with the LSHF and i'm pretty sure a couple ppl have posted comparison beamshots.