*THE* wife

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The wife;

I see this expression very often on CPF. I'd never refer to my girlfriend as the girlfriend, it wouldn't even cross my mind to call her that.

Why do folks use this expression?

Brightnorm

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: THE wife

because the expression is used in a "non-personal" manner and is generally referred to as the "other power" in life. We#re not talking about individuals here but merely of "the other side", an outside factor to be considered, often funny and plagued with lots of stereotypes.
this also helps to protect the privacy of our girls I think.

bernhard

btw, I often call my girlfriend "my wife" and not by her name, I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

MichiganMan ... LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
with more than a grain of truth ...
bk

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be careful guys.... this might be Brightnorm's wife talking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't think it's meant to be a put-down at all.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

not at all. no put-down. after all, we love them, don't we? I consider it some tragic humor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif regarding the obvious differences between the sexes ...
bernhard

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Be careful guys.... this might be Brightnorm's wife talking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No...in fact it`s a compliment...hope this helps Mrs. Brightnorm.

Well, got to go take THE dog for a walk...I just love that little feller so much...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

its a secret code.id tell ya but they know where i live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally don't refer to my wife as "The wife". But it is not derogatory to do so ...... in my opinion anyway.

raggie33 ..... shhhh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:

I don't think it's meant to be a put-down at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I avoided marital bliss twice. It's, I mean she's "just" a girlfriend. It still seems negative, more like an object than a person. If something is the then we usually refer to it as it. I'm really not trying to be PC. Maybe it's my age or perhaps a regional thing seeing as how I'm NorthEast and everyone else here is either Southern, European or Western. I'd like to get Sasha's view on this.

Brightnorm

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

"I`d like to get Sasha`s veiw on this".

Opps, got to go...MY wife is calling me.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, in Spanish, if I understand things right (and I often don't), saying "the wife" ("la esposa") is a bit of an insult; you're supposed to say "my wife" ("mi esposa") unless insult is what you're going for.

While it might not be derogatory per se, I think "the wife" does have a slightly-insulting ring to it, though it's often in a playful way.

Greta

Flashaholic

I never take it as an insult. Now if the husband offers me up in trade for a flashlight... well... then... we got issues... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

so it's ok to trade a husband but not a wife? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

well that sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tomas

Banned

(Michigan Man speaks truth ... ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Even shortly after I was married, many years ago (1967), I refered to my wife at times as "the wife" or "my wife" or "the other half" when talking with others. It was, I suppose a slight distancing of strangers and aquaintences from MY WIFE.

This was even said in her presence, as in "My wife works for XXX." or "Let me ask my wife." It was an indication to the "other" not only who I was refering to, or going to ask, but identified the relationship of "my wife" to myself and the conversation (who's Connie?).

The only time it was an insult (or warning) would be when I'd introduce her or refer to her, in her presence, as "my first wife." She'd pick up on that right quickly, and understand without belaboring the point that "the husband" was not pleased with some recent interaction ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Here on CPF I will refer to her as "my wife" or "the wife" rather than Connie because "wife" indicates to others who I'm talking about and why, whereas "Connie" would only be recognized by those who actually know both of us.

As usual, she will likely continue to refer to me as "what's his name." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

If you want to talk derogatory terms for "wife"... how about "old lady"? .. that's when I would use the term "first husband".

Frankly, I'm kinda fond of "my better half"...
lovers.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

When being refered to as "The Wife", normally means she is being assigned membership the the group known collectively as the "Powers That Be"!

In the BBS series "Rumpole of the Baily", Rumpole allways refered to his wife as "She Who Must Be Obeyed"!