all bulbs created equal?

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering...do all bulbs of the same type and voltage have the same output?

eg.
would a 6v halogen bulb of brand-x be as bright as another 6v halogen bulb of brand-y with same size and shape?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
no.

different materials and gasses offer different brightnesses and color temperatures.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as brands go, if your dealing with otherwise the same product, the bulbs should be nearly identical.

A 6V xenon size X bulb would be different than a 6V halogen size X bulb though.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've had surefire P60 lamp assemblie that varied in the size of the hotspot (which indicates a variance in the size of the filament), and the tint. some were more yellow than others, when on fresh batteries. bulbs do vary, but in ways that aren't as noticeable as the ways in which LEDs vary. with LEDs you always get the same sized die though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would humbly sumbit that a 6V Carley would whup up on a 6V Radio Shack.

Hotwire guys? You out there?

Let's say that due to potting and filimant construction one of Impyboy's 6V halogens is rated at 1.25A and the other is rated at .650mA. What happens with them at 6 Fv, then 7.5 Fv then @ 9 Fv? I think I know but will leave it to folks more expert than I am on this subject.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a general sense, mass-market consumer bulbs should be all pretty much the same. Yes, you'll have differences in brightness, hotspot and longevity but these differences are relatively minor. By this, I mean that these bulbs are all designed for the massive percentage of "average" drive and performance situations. Typically 1 amp or less of current. Let's face it, when they sell you a 3.8V bulb, the assumption is that you will most likely drive it with 3 alkaline cells.

Once you start into the world of high performance incandescent lighting though, the horizon opens wide. For example, Welch Allyn, a manufacturer of HO bulbs used by more than a few CPF members manufactures the WA01112. This is a 6V, 1A bulb that makes 119 lumens with a life of 50 hours. On the other end, they make the WA01111, a 6V, 3.35A bulb which makes 465 lumens and yet lasts for 100 hours.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe,

Icey, I was reading your mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
hey all,

thanks for the info.

Yeah, i've been looking into the WA bulbs, but i can't seen to find a supplier in aust, so i'm kinda settling for something alot less bright, but still, brighter than krypton.

xenon bulbs aren't very popular yet, so halogen is as good as i can get.....for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RussH

Enlightened
Just for example, I have 4.8v Krypton bulbs (AKA 4 cell) rated .5a, .75amp, and .8amp. They all have different outputs although I think, and usually find that .75a & .8a are the same. My halogen 4 cell bulb is rated 5.3v .85amp which is probably the same (very similar?) as 4.8v, .75a