Who uses a 123 twisty for their LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Just curious as to who likes/uses this battery pack. I just acquired an unanodized version and haven't decided wether to use the clicky or twisty for EDC.

Likes for the clicky:
- one handed operation
- momentary on/off

Dislikes for the clicky:
- long term reliability
- size(longer)

Likes for the twisty:
- smaller size
- more reliable
- ability to stand on end

Dislikes for the twisty:
- does not work with all brands of batteries
- may crush the battery/damage the head if overtightened
- my particular one is unanodized

I am presently using the 123 twisty, and I think I generally like it more than the clicky. However if I had an anodized version, it would be the twisty by a landslide. Oh wait, I do have an anodized version, but it's one of the older ones which has a bigger diameter than the newer LS heads. I just don't like the way it looks. Any feedback guys?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
twistie 100% !!!!!!!!!
and you can easily use it with one hand, I do it every day.
there were only very few of the rev2 twisties made, I am looking for a second one for ages now with no luck ...
clickie sucks! it defeats most of the advantages of the Arc ...
bernhard

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twistie all the way. I've had no issues with batteries being crushed or the like. Makes the LSHP a powerful little pill of a flashlight! It is my keychain EDC.

dlee96

Newly Enlightened
The twisty rocks. I also have an unanodized one and think that the color contrast gives it a bit of flare.

-dlee

DumboRAT

Enlightened
I use one for the LS for which I require a positive "off" lock out against accidental discharge.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I usually use the 2 AA TSP. If I want really small I'll use the 123 twisty. I have no use at all for the 123 TSP.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I've got both clicky and twisty but I prefer the clicky. I have a long habit of holding EDC flashlights in my teeth while I doing a task. The rubber switch makes that a lot more comfortable.

I found a small section of flexible PVC tubing will press fit on the clickly and make it candle stand.

Also, I use momentary on/off a lot.

I do use the twisty sometimes. I tapped a 1/4" - 20 hole in a spare twisty. That lets me mount my LS on a small tripod for hands free tasks or when I want to use for a binocular microscope light.

Gandalf

Enlightened
The Kroll clickie is a POS, IMHO. I think it defeats the whole idea behind the Arc-LS : small (as possible) size, total and complete reliability, (*including* NOT turning on in your pocket, as the Kroll easily does) and the ability to stand on end.

I EDC my Arc LSH-P with an anodized, rev 1 twisty. I wish it was the same diameter as the Arc LSH-P, but that's a small consideration. (I *mainly* wish the diameter was the same as the rev 1, which allowed easy use of Mini Maglite filters, etc). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I have wrapped a couple of layers of white electrical tape around the twisty, to make it easier to find in the dark, and so I can hold it in my teeth. So the diameter of the twisty itself would be a bit bigger than the head, anyway.

I can easily operate it with one hand, with the twisty 123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a 123 twisty, because it takes less realestate in my pocket and I have no problem operating it one handed. Also, there is very little to fail on a twisty. Not that the kroll has ever failed on me .... it hasn't. But since I EDC my LS's, I want to do whatever I can to ensure that it will work as close to 100% as possible. In my humblest of opinions, the twisty comes closer to 100% than the clickie with the kroll switch ..... mechanically speaking.

As you said, not all twisty's work with all batteries. I have two different styles of twisty's and between them I have not found a battery that won't work with them. I have the older fatter one like you do, and the newer skinnier one. Battery rattle doesn't bother me, it's just not enough to be noticeable unless I really shake the thing.

I actually like the fatter one better for standing on it's end. It's also easier for me to operate one handed cuz middle finger can wrap around it better while my index finger and thumb twist the main body.

Mike

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
The twisty is the only way to go for Arc LS EDC.

The clickie is not shielded or protected, and my clickie LS`s kept turning on in my pockets all of the time...just from the pressures exerted from sitting, etc.

I don`t mind the Kroll switches, but the Arc LS`s "unprotected" tailcap design doesn`t make for a good EDC with the Kroll.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I prefer the twisty pack for its ultra-compactness (which is the main advantage of the ARC-LS, IMO) and reliability(provided it works with your battery brand).
I've never crushed a battery in mine. Only slight pressure is required to turn on the light. No need to crank it down.

Likebright

Enlightened
My ARC LSH-S gets my twisty since my LSHF-P got my Clicky
I stand it on its tail and put a translucent film canister over the head - makes a great little room or tent light. When I need it small either light gets the twisty.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is a ARC LS fist run twisty. IMHO arc made a big mistake by not offering the twisty pack for their new lights. I can't get myself to buy one of the newer arc ls no matter how much I like the beam. The TSP switch is just plain ugly! Not to mention larger. I have had no problem with the twisty for 2 years so I see not advantage for going to the clicky. If arc offer the LSHF-P with(ANODIZED) twisty I will get one in a heartbeat.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the twisties offered in the closeout page the latest versions? Are they compatible with the current LS flashlights.

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened
I use a twisty because I haven't yet found a Kroll switch that works correctly for a significant period time. Too bad, because it cheapens what is otherwise an outstanding product.

I also like the twisty because it makes the LS a more compact package.

Unfortunately my twisty is not anodized, so my LS is not particularly handsome. It works, though, and that's what counts.

Ralf

Enlightened
I have only the twisty and I like it for its
stand on its end. Very useful.

But I'd like to have an Kroll as well, but the
money is saved for the LS4 :)

Cheers
Ralf

kaseri

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Likebright said:
My ARC LSH-S gets my twisty since my LSHF-P got my Clicky
I stand it on its tail and put a translucent film canister over the head - makes a great little room or tent light. When I need it small either light gets the twisty.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... a translucent film canister over the head! Now thats a good idea. I assume that any old translucent film canister will work?

Deanster

Enlightened
Twisty on the LSL-P that lives in my pocket from about 3pm-8am. Clickie on the LSH-P that lives in my 'European Carryall' bag that goes everywhere with me.

Nothing beats the compactness of the Twisty! I've got the Rev. 1 123 Twisty, and I really like the slightly larger tail, both for setting on end, and because it creates a nice little ridge for my fingers.

I haven't had reliability problems with the Kroll, but I don't look forward to it when it happens. I do like the momentary-on feature of the clickie, but I think we'd be much better served by a different switch - not so long, not so fragile.

I, too, would like to see another run of 123 and 2xAA twisties - I'd buy at least two of each.

83Venture

Enlightened
I EDC the ARC AAA and the LSH-S. I keep a twisty on for its reliability, no accidental activation, smaller size and candle mode use. These together outweigh the convenience of the clickie for me. Have two of the twist packs and have not had any problem with batteries working or being damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.