Dry Dog Food Recall List ... Salmonella

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the following from the NDSDF;

We just wanted to make sure to pass along the news that several dry dog food brands have been recalled today due to a fear of Salmonella contamination. ALL lot codes with an expiration date prior to 6-10-14 have been recalled. If you feed your canine any of these brands, please click on the web link below for more information about the recall, how to identify Salmonella poisoning, and what you should do if your dog shows signs of illness.

June 18, 2013 – Natura Pet Products of Fremont, Nebraska, has today announced it is voluntarily recalling specific lots of dry pet food because they may be contaminated with Salmonella.

The recall includes specific lots of these brands…

§ Innova
§ EVO
§ California Natural
§ Healthwise
§ Karma
§ Mother Nature

No canned food is affected by this announcement.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/natura-pet-food-recall-june-2013/

nbp

Flashaholic
Dogs eat turds and dead creatures they find in the yard. They'll probably be fine.

;)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dogs will leave meat bones in the yard (even in summer) for days until they're extra stinky. By then I'm sure there's all sorts of lovely bugs living on them.

The dry dog food would have to be laced with cyanide to be a real problem, I think :)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are different types of dog situations, indoor and outdoor. The outdoor dogs do tend to have a greater immunity than indoor raised dogs. The fact is that in the North America, food grade is food grade, and the same factory can produce a wide variety of foods for pets and people. Either the food quality supply chain system is working, or it isn't.

One reason that pet food quality is carefully watched, is that it is fairly common for small children to eat dry pet food, at least in small quantities. If you have children, you know what I am talking about.

Cats are also supposed to be tough, but we had one die a few years ago from eating a high end Nestle / Purina sub brand of canned food, thanks to some "food grade" chinese wheat gluten ( turned out to be dust from a melamine factory hiding as wheat gluten). The cat was an indoor, expensive one, so it isn't like there was any question about how it happened, and our vet confirmed it with testing.

That little incident costs me over $ 3 K in vet bills and carpet cleaning, not to mention the loss of a family pet. Yes, I am pretty sensitive about food safety after that episode and still won't let my family buy products from Nestle when we can avoid it.

Empath

Flashaholic
Regardless of those that would attempt to minimize the threat level to animals, in regard to such tainted foods, and their views that dogs or cats are somehow immune to infections and risks posed by such foods, the danger in such foods are real. In addition, the handling of salmonella infected foods when feeding your dogs, puts you and your family at risk.

Should you find any of the products in the list in your home, you'd be well advised to follow the recall instructions.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dry dog food would have to be laced with cyanide to be a real problem, I think :)
it doesn't have to be cyanide, if dry food absorbs even little of antifreeze, the dog is done.

nbp

Flashaholic
Clearly my attempt at humor was ill-received.

I have had dogs my whole life and care a great deal for them.

I was simply pointing out the humor in the canine digestive tract. I have watched my dog swallow an entire live baby bunny whole without so much as a hiccup, along with every other nasty dead thing they can find outside, such as smushed worms off the driveway, dried out mice and salamanders, other animals' feces...you name it. They never seemed to mind.

I had not considered the possibility of small children eating the dog food though, and I agree that is certainly a real risk, and is a point well taken.