Help date a Surefire i havent seen before

usnrigger

Newly Enlightened
Okay guys, I've seen the basic light just not the exact specs and was wondering more about how early/year and how common/scarce these are? I have a 6P round body, Round bezel, Smooth Body with a Z32 Shock Resistant Head, also came with a F12 IR cover. I also have the extension (Maybe a A19). --On second look the extender is longer then the A19s I remember, they extend on extra cell if I remember right. this one looks to give a total of 4x3v and ideas? A14? The tail cap is the standard pressure button w/knurling, but the rubber button is smooth and the tail cap is neither marked Laser Products or Surefire. Only thing I can think of is that is a early version before they marked them or something else. I picked this up for a "Battle of Black Sea" period build to mount under the barrel at the 6 o'clock position. Just never seen one quite like this and figured you guys would be able to "put some light on it" for me. Thanks -- USNRigger I will try to get photos up later

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
usnrigger,
I can't help you with a date, but the extension looks to be an A14, which is added to the 6p to make it a 6R, which is then fed with Surefire B65 battery sticks (discontinued). I have two B65 battery sticks and the KR2 recharger, which I don't use anymore because I just wasn't that impressed with the B65 performance. If you are truly interested in the recharging system, let me know and I will send it to you in exchange for your looking at the postage it took to mail it to you and mailing me enough $1 bills to cover it. If you don't have any other recharging systems, this would at least be guilt-free lumens to play with. You can also attach the A14, and use it in conjunction with 2 rechargeable Li-ion 17500 cells and a 15mm(?) delrin conductive spacer. I've got one of these, and I cannot for the life of me remember where I purchased it, or what to use for a search term where I bought it online. I did a quick browse of my myriad bookmarks, and I can't find it. Sorry. Do NOT use the 15mm aluminum charging spacer from Lighthound; you could short out your Li-ion batteries, and we know how calamitous and physically dangerous that could be.

Last edited:

usnrigger

Newly Enlightened
Novice, Thanks for the insight. I think I will probably sell the extender as and just work with the main body, head, and tailcap. I read of people over-boring them and running a 18650 rechargeable. Is this a improvement or just a way to get a rechargeable battery into it? Also can you still swap back to CR123's without using any sleeve? Im also probably going to add a tail switch with pressure pad by using a modern surefire pressure switch and taking some parts from it. I read something on ARFCOM about how to do this as I will be using it as a weapon mount on a early 90's period AR15 Upper. I really would like to hear about the 18650 batteries as I have a lathe and can easily open it up, but would like to also be able to use the standard 123's if needed. -- Past that is someone can help me with the fact that the tail switch is not marked as all the others ive seen. If its early mfg or something, also how scarce the smooth bodies are with the z32 -- Thanks

usnrigger

Newly Enlightened
Well, im not really looking to sell just like to have a idea of scarcity and to find out about the non-marked tail switch. I picked this up at a yard sale from a guy who had some very cool vintage items, I bought what I could and had actually been looking for one like this for a rifle build ive been slowly putting parts together for. I read some things in my seach for info on this FL about guys opening them up for 18650 cells and running LED conversion bulbs, didn't know if this was a improvement or just getting a good rechargeable system in it "wolf in sheep clothing" type thing. A few other things I picked up was a M2 with the ribbed type head, some lamp $ battery holders with lamps and the 6P and a Z48 tailswitch. I just don't know a lot about the 6P in question, I guess before my time. Thanks USNRigger

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I used to have three 6P round body lights with non-marked tailcaps. Those are the only ones I ever saw without any Laser Products markings.

surefire6p-012.jpg

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIBS!

what's catching my attention is the lack of knurling on the body.
i'll gladly take it off your hands.

I wish I could help out, maybe Size15 or Rat can help us out.

James

NoKarma

Newly Enlightened
What you have there is an early version of an L90 9volt weapons head.
They did not add the knurling until the late 90's.
If you would like to use this as a standalone light you will need a A21 surefire adapter.
If you are building a 90's themed AR upper build this could be the perfect start as it was the most popular surefire on AR's at the time.
Led upgrades can be somewhat of a pain on the old shock isolated head due to no good thermal path to the body of the light.
I have found the Malkoff m61L to work very well in these heads with out getting to hot. They will give you more output and a 5 hour run time.
P115.jpg

Hope this helps.
NoKarma

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
DIBS!

what's catching my attention is the lack of knurling on the body.
i'll gladly take it off your hands.

I wish I could help out, maybe Size15 or Rat can help us out.

James

:ohgeez: :eek:

Seriously, though, I would have to agree with Norm, James, and others here. In my opinion, you would be (much) better served by leaving this collectible vintage piece intact and purchasing something modern for your purposes.

If you wished to sell the vintage piece, it will be worth far more in stock form, or simply keep it yourself.

I would call these uncommon (especially in this nice condition), but not truly rare....

I believe this particular model pre-dates LOTC function - can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

usnrigger

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like a found a early find for my little period build. Im going to hold onto it for now guys but it is nice to know that you guys find it as cool as I do. I will keep all the parts and in stock configuration, no tinkering with it. I do have one question, inside the body is a snap ring, I pulled it out to clean it up as it was steel and had some light surface rust, going to clean it up but I threw some batteries in it and a P60 bulb to test it out and it seems to work fine. what is this snap ring for and do I need to put it back in after I clean it up a bit? Past that I just need to hunt down a 660 barrel mount and a remote switch for this model or modify something to look period. What is LOTC you talked about Archimedes? Thanks USNRigger

LightCrazy

Enlightened
This thread is interesting! I have a mid 1990's? Surefire 6R, without the extension tube for the rechargeable battery. It is used in the 6P format. What a dim light by today's standards. It has a few minor scratches and nicks from use, but otherwise functions perfectly. It is the round body withe the smooth knurling, and I believe Laser Products on the tail cap- which you can not Lock out. The button is smooth if I remember correctly. Are these lights going for a decent price, or since I am not going to Lego it, is it better to just keep it as a relic?

archimedes

Flashaholic
This thread is interesting! I have a mid 1990's? Surefire 6R, without the extension tube for the rechargeable battery. It is used in the 6P format. What a dim light by today's standards. It has a few minor scratches and nicks from use, but otherwise functions perfectly. It is the round body withe the smooth knurling, and I believe Laser Products on the tail cap- which you can not Lock out. The button is smooth if I remember correctly. Are these lights going for a decent price, or since I am not going to Lego it, is it better to just keep it as a relic?

Hmmm, I think James may perhaps want "dibs" on this ... ;)

LightCrazy

Enlightened
How about if I start a new thread tomorrow with pics of the light. Something like "my Surefire 6R" or something so I don't clog up this thread.