Mini Review - first impressions - Four Sevens Preon Penlight

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, I never win anything, so it was a nice surprise to win one of the "Father's Day" Preon Penlights.

This is a product that I had really never been interested in. Don't misunderstand - I like 4/7 lights and have a few in my collection. My expectations were a blank slate.

What a nice surprise!

A few crude photos with commentary:

It came in the usual white, padded mailing envelope, and the packaging is new (for me) and different

It's a very solid, nice looking light. Most people will think it is a writing pen!

The 'clicker' is just a bit stiff, but it works. Has a distinctive "click". You also can lightly depress the button to cycle through the 3 levels, or you can repeatedly click on and off.

It really has a nice beam quality - especially considering the really small reflector. It is an XPG2 emitter with a nice tint. Not neutral, but not snow white either. No green or blue - just slightly off white.

Here are the specs from the Four Sevens web site:

I measured 5.7 lumen on low, 71 on medium and 186 on high - this with the 2 included Duracell AAA batteries. I haven't checked run times, but it appears that they are making reasonable claims. Maybe some day I'll do a bit of a run time test, but for now I'm too selfish as I'm enjoying using the light too much!

Finally, a simple photo showing the Penlight next to an ordinary inexpensive ball point pen. The photo is a bit deceiving as it makes the pen look larger than the light, when in reality they are almost the same size.

No doubt many of you have already enjoyed this cool little light, but this is my first experience. Great job Four Sevens! (And thank you for the cool little light!)

:twothumbs

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations. How fun to win a light. Mighty fine review, you hit all the high points. This neat little pen light is quickly becoming my favorite, not only because of its very useful closeup beam profile, but also because it's so easy to carry around in my front shirt pocket. Enjoy!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review... I too find this light to be a very pleasant surprise and one of my EDC favorites, despite not being a much of a AAA fan. Love the stealth factor and shirt pocket carry, which not only frees up my over-burdened pants pockets, but I actually find I use the light more due to it being the quickest/easiest single-handed draw/use/return light of any in my collection. Most of my other pocket EDCs require two hands to avoid eventually shredding my pockets.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quickie...so to speak. My only hesitation is that I don't know if it will fit in my flight suit pen pockets. If you have one, I'd love to see it compared to a Pilot G2 pen. The rubber grip on the Pilot G2 is the biggest size I can go for those pockets. If it's the same size then I'm in luck (just because metal slides better than rubber)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I've had mine confused for a real pen before. It sits in my suit coat breast pocket. Someone saw it and asked to borrow a pen and was confused when I reached inside my jacket to get my pen.

It took me a little while to come around to the idea of this thing, but now I love mine. It's my only true EDC light. It goes with me everywhere. My other light I keep in my pocket rotates depending on my mood, but the penlight is always a constant.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the Review. How does this compare to the Preon 2, I mean how does this light fit in with the Preon 2? As its not a replacement as I have understood it.