Quantum D2 issues

rpm00

Enlightened
I'm having trouble with my brand new Quantum D2. Since I got it a couple weeks ago it's been misbehaving. When I twist on to activate sometimes it doesn't come on at all, sometimes it comes on dim, and rarely it comes on full brightness. I'd say it only works correctly about 10% of the time. Battery if of course fully charged. I sent a note to illuminationsupply but haven't heard back yet and thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check that the QTC pill is properly in place. That is where I would start.

kemosabex

Newly Enlightened
I've had this issue as well, the retaining ring most likely has come loose, not allowing the battery to make full contact when tightened.

When you open up your D2, look inside and you'll see your QTC. There is a retaining ring that holds everything in place.
Simply take a tweezer, line it up with the holes in that ring and tighten it.
Hope that fixes it for you!

melty

Newly Enlightened
Yes. it sounds like a loose retaining ring.

However, there are two retaining rings in my light. I had to completely remove the outer ring, tighten the inner ring, then reinstall and tighten the outer ring. It worked fine after that.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Replace the QTC or clean the existing one between two pieces of paper. I've been using a 44 DD for about 2 years and cleaning usually solves any ramping problems.

Norm

rpm00

Enlightened
Thank you guys! It was the second retaining ring that was loose. A little bit tricky getting the first one back in afterwards, but now it works like a charm! What a great forum! :thumbsup:

kemosabex

Newly Enlightened
Usually if the first inner ring is tightened, it does not loosen.
The second (outside) tends to loosen, presumably from the twisting friction of turning the light on and off.

Glad you got everything sorted out!

PrincessTrouble

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say thanks. I'm so glad I found this thread. I couldn't figure out why my Quantum D2 suddenly stopped working. The outer retaining ring was loose. Tightened it up as recommended here and my light is working again.

revscott

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you guys mean by outer retaining ring. The QTC (which I'm assuming is a small black square piece that looks like rubber) on my D2 is only held on by a magnet. It seems to move around freely. My D2 is brand new and seems to be working fine. I just want to make sure I understand what you guys are talking about.