L3 Illumination's L10: simplicity meets function

papershredder

Newly Enlightened
I just got the L3 Illumination L10 with the XP-G emitter. There has been a lot of talk on this forum around the L10 with the Nichia 219. They also have an XP-G2 emitter version.
This light is great! I got the four output level option, instead of just the three. That means I get a real moonlight mode (the first mode.)

The bad:
The pocket clip is a bit silly, it's got a fold at the apex that's too narrow to fit a pants pocket. Maybe a dress shirt.
The clip-on pocket clip looks like it should come off often, (but it's staying on,) despite there being no recessed channel on the light body. This is an in-the-pants only clip. Don't clip it to the outside of your pack or what-not.
The drill hole for the lanyard on the tail end is off-center.
Changing modes is harder with a twist interface.
I can hear the cell banging around in the case, due to the gasket on the head, when changing modes. The gasket grabs hold of the cell and rotates it around inside the case.
No springs in the case for the battery. It's using a gasket mounted on the inside of the head for reverse polarity, and keeping the cell from rattling around.
I applied my own grease to the threads to get it to my liking.
Cool white. Not my favorite, not the end of the world. But it does offer the best lumens for the power

The good:
No blinkies.
Seems quite efficient. Does not heat up as much as a comparable light (D25A Ti.)
As bright as a two cell light that's XP-G2 (Preon P2.)
Anodizing is superb. Plenty of colors to choose from.
Very slim and short. It's well built around the single AA it takes.
True moonlight.

All things considered:
I think I prefer this light to my D25A Ti, which is more than double the cost... about triple.
Comparable to the Preon 2, but half the cost. I can't hear any inductor whine in the L10.
I don't have a Zebralight to compare it to =(. Soon!
I appreciate the simplicity of this light. It seems to do everything you'd need from an EDC light without any gimmicks. Nothing glow-in-the-dark, no strobe. It's small. The light is simple, even to a fault, with the gasket and the cell. Despite that, I still think simple is best.
Good cost.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I have both the Nichia 219 and XP-G2, 3-mode models and like them a lot. (I don't have the pocket clip and can't comment.) These lights are good value. The fit and finish are OK - my emitter is centered and the threads are smooth (I did clean them and apply nano-oil as soon as I got the lights). Don't get the white body because it is painted and not anodized. The white chips easily. The other colors are fine. I'm running the N219 on an Eneloop and the XP-G2 on a 14500 Li-ion. I prefer the L>M>H sequence because I don't mind switching modes to get more output. In fact I prefer this sequence. The beams are floody and smooth which is an accomplishment considering the AA format doesn't provide for a large or wide reflector. I also appreciate the simplicity of these lights - they do what they're supposed to do without any gimmicks.