Surefire EB1 Backup micro-review.

carrot

Flashaholic
I thought it was high time to find an EDC replacement for my lost McGizmo (why not another?) and figured I'd re-evaluate my needs. Settled on a Surefire EB1 after a false start with new-old stock E1L.

I decided that since I have increasingly relied on headlamps as my primary lighting, my EDC tool should support that in a complementary way while still being useful on its own. Since headlamps are typically great close up, I figured a tiny, high-powered thrower would be an ideal match. A throw-optimized light is terrible if you have no other lights, but if you have many alternatives, it's pretty neat.

Overview
The Surefire EB1 Backup is pretty much the love child of the E1B Backup and the L1 Lumamax. In other words, the light quite a few of us have been clamoring for, for years. To that effect, it offers the option of either a click switch and a high-low UI (E1B-style) or a twisty two-stage switch with a low-high UI (L1/A2-style). Cleverly enough, the electronics to support either switch are built into the same head! I chose the twisty switch, in keeping with my stubbornly made preference from years and years of carrying twisty lights.

Output
Low is super low, low enough not to bother your SO at night or other movie-goers in a theater or other campers in a campsite, but plenty to look around. I wouldn't read with this for more than a few minutes because the hotspot is so small and sharp, but it does fine. It is supposed to run for 40 hours like this, which should be excellent.

High is wicked. Thanks to the lens system Surefire uses in this light, it has a super tight beam with a nice smooth hotspot that just projects light extremely far away. I was stupid enough to try shining this on high at my desk in the afternoon and I saw spots for quite a bit after. It's rated for "only" 200 lumens but thanks to the optic design it seems to outclass just about every other light I've pitted it against in my humble collection. Yes, even the 3000 lumen one (4x MC-E at about 36-45W if you are curious), although it is not a completely fair comparison.

Build
Build quality is typical Surefire. Feels great in your hands and gives the sense of a precise but bombproof piece of serious equipment. It is bigger than the E1B and slightly wider than the L1 that preceded it, but comfortably so, without being too obtrusive in a pocket or in hand. Two-way pocket clip means you can carry your light bezel-down, as God intended.

Aesthetically this light is great too. It is maybe a little bit less high-tech and cool-looking than the L1 and maybe a bit less sleek than the E1B. However, its simple lines and understated looks are a breath of fresh, revitalizing air. It's a big departure from Surefire's classic bionic look, as designed by PK, and the crazy wavy post-PK designs in Surefire's awkward transitionary years. (People used to joke that Surefire designs were the results of CNC operators saying, "Oh yeah? Check THIS out!") It's the year 2013 and minimalism is back in vogue, and Surefire has clearly noticed.

Rating
Combined with its shocking(ly low, for Surefire,) street price of $155 and its wicked throw, this light is a great choice for someone who wants a quality illumination tool that throws like a much bigger light.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 2nd one. I'll mate the "Frankenhead" on an E1e tube with a Z68. My latest lego will be all black including the holster! Not a big fan of the slick anodizing though. It fits well in a Maxpedition 4" sheath. Love the split ring hole at the end of the clip!

As always carrot, nice review!

kelmo

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I wsnt to get hands on one before replacing my silver e1b which has been my edc for a few years now.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Carrot. For a brief time, I had an L1 head on 17670 capable E2e with the old style momentary twisty tailcap, and it was quite a little throw monster. I expect the EB1 will be even better. I'm often carrying an E1B these days, which doesn't have quite the output of the L1/E2e combo, but is better for pocket carry. Had an Lx2 briefly as well. A very nice light, but to big to pocket carry in anything but a pair of sturdy jeans. Since my old EZCR2w is now back on my keychain, I think a pocket thrower like the EB1 would be a good complimentary light for EDC with the output of the Lx2 (though not the runtime) and a size closer to an E1B/E1L.

carrot

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I got to test the EB1 this weekend in some nice dark woods. It's close, but not quite as powerful for throw as the 47s Maelstrom X10, which was the only other light I had on hand. Pretty impressive considering the X10 is 800 lumens and the EB1 is a "measly" 200 lumens.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my EB1 and it came with a twisty switch! The Marketplace has been kind to me. This is an L1 on steroids. At least the high is.

Carrot, a much easier way to lock out this light is to turn the head about 10-15 degrees and voilà! No more wobbly tailcap.

kelmo

Al_Cohol

Newly Enlightened
Great review. Thank you. I have been eyeing this light closely for edc with the twisty tail cap in tan.

Curious, hows the spill on it as well?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch makes all the difference! I also have the clickie variant and while it is a great light it didn't have that wow factor for me. But reverse the high/low to low/high with the classic SF twisty switch and it doesn't get any better than that. I am not really a big fan of big head lights without a tail shroud or the current slick anodizing but the switching makes me forget about all my perceived short comings. It is not perfect but it is close. SF has brought back the L2 concept, a low level light with an awesome highbeam! Evolution man, evolution!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Great review. Thank you. I have been eyeing this light closely for edc with the twisty tail cap in tan.

Curious, hows the spill on it as well?

I have this exact model.

There is some spill so you aren't left feeling like you are looking down a dark tunnel, but there isn't a lot of it either. This one plays the role of "pocket spotter" much better than as a generalized darkness navigation tool, however, it is easily enough pressed into the latter role.

Latest posts