Poor Man's TW4

Cmoore

Enlightened
Poor Man\'s TW4

Today I received a 1x123 flashlight body that came packaged as a product of Vital-Gear, LLC. The body has no switch and sports a flat base with two lanyard holes. The body is stated to be 6061-T6 AL with a hard anodized finish (whether HA II or III I don't know). It's threaded to take SF E-series bezels. My cost was $18 not including shipping. As there is no switch, one turns on the light by twisting the bezel -- there is a fairly thick rubber 0-ring at the base of the bezel threads.

I put a SF KL4 bezel on this body. It fit quite well with what I would say is just about the right friction to preclude the light coming on accidently even when the bezel is not well backed-off. This combo results in a poor man's TW4 that turns on and off like a Mag AA. I measured this combo as being 11/16th of an inch shorter than my real TW4; I'm sure it's also a tad lighter too, but I have no means to weigh the difference. One plus of this combo is that the flashlight body's flat base allows candle mode operation.

For those of you who have a SF L4 but no E1 or E1E body available, this body might be a condideration if you can live without a tail switch and momentary on capability.

I did a CPF and Google search and found nothing on Vital-Gear, LLC. The only place I know of carrying this product is TadGear. If someone else knows another source(s), please chime in and let us know.

In summary, this body won't come close to a SF in fit, form or function; but, it appears to work fine and the price is right if your in the market for a poor man's TW4.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poor Man\'s TW4

I have the Vital-Gear kit from tadgear with the KL1 and two body tubes. Definately not as nice as a surefire E series tube but certainly nice in its own right. I use the large tube with 2 AA's on the KL1 and the 1x123 tube on my KL4. I really like this setup. Haveing both tubes really allows a lot of different configurations(1x123,2x123,3x123 and 2xAA). Just remember not to use the 3x123 configuration on the KL4.

83Venture

Enlightened
Re: Poor Man\'s TW4

I received the 1X123 & 3x123/2AA bodies from TadGear last week. Use the long tube for the KL1. Like Cmoore I am planing to get a KL4 for the short tube.