Fenix Outfitters        
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2019

Default Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiM View Post
    Left: Made in Japan 3rd generation Right: Made in (Japan?) 4th generation
    I think they now make 2 versions, 1 in China and 1 in Japan...
    EU retail packaging says Made In Japan on the backside. looks legit to me (click to engorgeous):

16 fresh batteries sponsored for the DC2 project. Reference values provided by iCharger, UT61E, and MH-C9000. It's easy to distinguish the cells since they are numbered from #1 to #8 apart from their 8 different colors:

i like the white best
    Last edited by kreisl; 12-30-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

I just got a couple of Eneloop chargers and i threw in a NiMH battery (non Eneloop) and i got a flashing light. Is it charging or is there a problem with the battery? Instruction manual doesn't really say much, i'm disappointed with that, but i don't know what that blinking light means.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    I just got a couple of Eneloop chargers and i threw in a NiMH battery (non Eneloop) and i got a flashing light. Is it charging or is there a problem with the battery? Instruction manual doesn't really say much, i'm disappointed with that, but i don't know what that blinking light means.
    I could not find the BQ-CC17 charger for sale in Japan. Based on appearance, it looks much like either a BQ-CC11 or BQ-CC21. The Japanese language instruction manuals for both of these models say the same thing in their "PROBLEM DIAGNOSIS" section:

PROBLEM: Charging indicator LED turns off immediately after charging begins, or the LED continues to flash.

CAUSE1: You are mistakenly attempting to charge a dry (non-rechargeable) battery
    SOLUTION: Don't attempt to recharge dry (non-rechargeable) batteries

CAUSE2: Your rechargeable battery has deteriorated
    SOLUTION: Replace it with a new battery
    My avatar photo is that of a small handmade toy boat that propels itself along the water in a realistic "chug-chug" kind of motion, yet is powered entirely by CandlePower. (Japanese children used to make them out of various types of junk, but now they are largely a "lost art.")

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    On my BQCC17 charger, a flashing light indicates the cell has high internal resistance, and it won't be charged. It does this so you can't accidentally try to charge an alkaline battery. I have some old cells that do this on that charger. I can still charge them in my main smart charger, and also using a slow dumb charger. But they're only good for low-drain applications by the time they won't charge on the BQCC17.

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    EU retail packaging says Made In Japan on the backside. looks legit to me (click to engorgeous):

Fresh batteries sponsored for the DC2 project. Reference values provided by iCharger, UT61E, and MH-C9000.
    Thanks ,
    So my earlier post was correct, the 4th gen tropicals are both made in Japan and China.
    So people should be careful when they order tropicals. Better be sure they get the made in Japan ones.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rosoku Chikara View Post
    I could not find the BQ-CC17 charger for sale in Japan. Based on appearance, it looks much like either a BQ-CC11 or BQ-CC21. The Japanese language instruction manuals for both of these models say the same thing in their "PROBLEM DIAGNOSIS" section:

PROBLEM: Charging indicator LED turns off immediately after charging begins, or the LED continues to flash.

CAUSE1: You are mistakenly attempting to charge a dry (non-rechargeable) battery
    SOLUTION: Don't attempt to recharge dry (non-rechargeable) batteries

CAUSE2: Your rechargeable battery has deteriorated
    SOLUTION: Replace it with a new battery
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    On my BQCC17 charger, a flashing light indicates the cell has high internal resistance, and it won't be charged. It does this so you can't accidentally try to charge an alkaline battery. I have some old cells that do this on that charger. I can still charge them in my main smart charger, and also using a slow dumb charger. But they're only good for low-drain applications by the time they won't charge on the BQCC17.
    Thanks guys, i figured the battery was deteriorating. The battery will charge in the La Crosse charger. It doesn't appear the chargers instructions say what it was, but now i know.

Last call to enter my eneloop giveaway at CPFMarketplace.
    if you are a CPFMarketplace member from before December 1st 2014, you can join..
    the giveaway will end soon.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...13#post4863813

Ive recieved my 1900mAh Panasonic eneloop batts today. the date on the card says 03 2014 and says "made in japan" on each of the batts. I thought they were made in china now??

Quote Originally Posted by Phil2015 View Post
    Ive recieved my 1900mAh Panasonic eneloop batts today. the date on the card says 03 2014 and says "made in japan" on each of the batts. I thought they were made in china now??
    Only some of them; if you read around this forum you'll find lots of information about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    Only some of them; if you read around this forum you'll find lots of information about it!
    Ah,, I have read that the Japanese ones are better then the Chinese ones?

Ah,, I have read that the Japanese ones are better then the Chinese ones?
    Check it out!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...esting-Results

For the first 250 cycles or so, I'd say you're fine either way.

As a consumer, I will be doing my best to only purchase the Japanese ones - not because I need the extra cycles, but because I want my dollars going towards the quality stuff in the hope that if enough people do the same thing, Panasonic will get the point that we want and will pay for quality.

And, well, I'll always take value over bottom dollar, so I'd prefer to have the Japanese ones for personal reasons, too, ha ha.
    Last edited by Grijon; 12-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Flashaholic*

The Chinese ones will probably be okay for typical users. They'll probably last okay for 5 years. However, I have Japanese Eneloops that are 8.5 years old and still show almost no drop in capacity. I expect they'll last well over 10 years, probably over 15. I doubt the Chinese ones will last anywhere close to as long as the Japanese ones. Again, for typical users that will buy new batteries to replace them every few years, probably not an issue.

The Chinese ones will probably be okay for typical users. They'll probably last okay for 5 years. However, I have Japanese Eneloops that are 8.5 years old and still show almost no drop in capacity. I expect they'll last well over 10 years, probably over 15. I doubt the Chinese ones will last anywhere close to as long as the Japanese ones. Again, for typical users that will buy new batteries to replace them every few years, probably not an issue.
    I'm thinking like you; for all but the ultra-heavy and/or power user, Chinese Eneloops should be fine. At one charge a week it'll be nearly 5 years before any appreciable performance difference shows up, and the user will have gotten their money's worth several times over.

For a power user or enthusiast, I say all-Japanese all the way! Ha ha ha

I do still think it's a real shame that Panasonic has decided to trash the Eneloop name by putting it on a lower quality product, though.

Check it out!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...esting-Results

For the first 250 cycles or so, I'd say you're fine either way.

As a consumer, I will be doing my best to only purchase the Japanese ones - not because I need the extra cycles, but because I want my dollars going towards the quality stuff in the hope that if enough people do the same thing, Panasonic will get the point that we want and will pay for quality.

And, well, I'll always take value over bottom dollar, so I'd prefer to have the Japanese ones for personal reasons, too, ha ha.
    I'm thinking like you; for all but the ultra-heavy and/or power user, Chinese Eneloops should be fine. At one charge a week it'll be nearly 5 years before any appreciable performance difference shows up, and the user will have gotten their money's worth several times over.

For a power user or enthusiast, I say all-Japanese all the way! Ha ha ha

I do still think it's a real shame that Panasonic has decided to trash the Eneloop name by putting it on a lower quality product, though.
    Most likely the difference would be minimal in real environmental conditions. However i agree with Grijon, i will do my best to only buy the Japanese ones . If i was forced to buy the Chinese ones, i'd probably just opt to get the Amazonbasics if Amazon decides to continue selling the Japanese brand (at least i think they are Japanese cells). Duracell and Energizer impresses me with their high capacity cells , i only wish they'd offer a deal if you get 2 packs of 4 or something.

Clearly, Fujitsu has nothing to do with the design or manufacturing of the "Fujitsu HR-3UTC" batteries.
    Last edited by kreisl; 01-02-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Clearly, Fujitsu has nothing to do with the design or manufacturing of the "Fujitsu HR-3UTC" batteries.
    Except FDK is part of Fujitsu.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

okok

haha

Last edited by kreisl; 01-02-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: FDK = Fuji Denki Kagaku

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Except FDK is part of Fujitsu.
    okok

haha

Default Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2015

Kreisler, you are making it only more (unnecessarily) complicated with your "claims" for others. Please people, just ignore his post..

Just make your own new thread where you can discuss your claims/dreams/findings.
    This is mainly about eneloop cells...Not your misunderstanding of different names and abbreviations.

I appreciate you looking into it, but please do some more research before posting those "truths".

oki :-)
    Last edited by kreisl; 01-02-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks kreisler

Will my battery charger damage my new 1900mAh eneloop batteries

Energizer Universal battery charger: Charges at 650mA, Delta V Detection and Max Timer Control (turns off after 5hrs)

You will probably be OK with that charger, but you should invest in a smart charger. Much better option for the Eneloop cells.

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    You will probably be OK with that charger, but you should invest in a smart charger. Much better option for the Eneloop cells.
    Is the charge rate ok, or should it be lower?

Charge rate is ok. 750mA to 1A is ok too.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    It does delta V, so it is a smart charger. It should be fine. Only other thing to make sure is that it does independent channel charging. That is, you can charge 1 or 2 cells, and the charger will terminate them individually (not in pairs).

It does delta V, so it is a smart charger. It should be fine.
    Ah thats good to know, I see that some chargers monitors the temperature of the batteries too?

Only other thing to make sure is that it does independent channel charging. That is, you can charge 1 or 2 cells, and the charger will terminate them individually (not in pairs).
    I know that the charger will only charge in pairs, but has a display to show the charge of each battery, so does this mean it should individually stop the batteries from charging?

Last edited by Phil2015; 01-06-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Flashaholic*

Ah thats good to know, I see that some chargers monitors the temperature of the batteries too?
    Yes, some smart chargers are smarter than others. There are a number of ways to detect end-of-charge, but IMO delta-V is the best and is usually the one that gives you a reliable end-of-charge with the most charge put into the battery.

I know that the charger will only charge in pairs, but has a display to show the charge of each battery, so does this mean it should individually stop the batteries from charging?
    I'm not so sure it will only charge in pairs, based on that description. My bet is that it will charge single batteries. It looks like it does detect end-of-charge for individual cells, which is good. Sometimes this requires putting cells in certain charging spots, and it may require you to only charge 2 batteries at a time.

However, charging in pairs isn't necessarily bad, as long as you always use those cells as pairs in your device. Eneloops are pretty consistent with their capacity, so using and charging in pairs should be okay. Once in awhile, charge them separately.

Oh, once other thing to note. This charger uses a trickle charge after it completes the main charge. This is bad for Eneloops, so don't leave the batteries in the charger for long periods of time after they finish charging. When they're done, take them out.

No unfortunately not.
    The concept of a pair charger is that two cells are sharing the same charging channel. This makes it impossible to stop charging one cell , while continue with the other.

This isn't a major issue as long as you are keeping track of the cells , and don't have any devices using odd numbers of cells either.

Issues first really starts to occur when charging cells that aren't roughly at the same state of charge. However Ironically a pair charger often force you to do just that.

E.g. if a device has drained 3 cells , the two cells are easy enough to pair.
    But unless you happen to have another approximately fully drained cell lying around , you can be forced to use a cell in a different state of charge as charging partner for the third cell.

Since a pair charger usually compensates for some differences within the pair by overcharging one cell , the state of charge doesn't have to be precisely the same for fully charging both cells. But the state of charge should be roughly the same.

However all differences in state of charge can be equalised by using trickle charge.

Thanks guys, I thought my charger would be a total no, no as I think I only paid about £15 for it a few years ago. Im using the eneloop batts in my EA41 torch, so all 4 batts should discharge at the same rate.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast