Imalent        
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2019

Unenlightened

Default Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014

For the model names (numbers) of the latest eneloop batteries, I wonder if the table found at the link below gives the best picture as of January 2015.
    http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/enel...batteries.html

Default Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2015

What charger should I use with my eneloop batteries?

Will my charger work with eneloops?

Whats the best charger for eneloops?

Lets ask your questions and give advice in the dedicated "chargers for Eneloops" thread...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?395695-Eneloops-what-charger-do-I-need&p=4579062#post4579062
    Last edited by ChibiM; 02-27-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil2015 View Post
    Thanks guys, I thought my charger would be a total no, no as I think I only paid about £15 for it a few years ago. Im using the eneloop batts in my EA41 torch, so all 4 batts should discharge at the same rate.
    I am just recharging the 4 eneloop batts for the first time, and all 4 seemed to be charging at the same time, but then 2 of the batts went up another notch on the display, about 10mins before the other 2 went up. Id thought the EA41 torch would drain the batts equally, or maybe the 4 batts wasn't at the same capacity from new

Well its taken about 3-4 hrs to charge the eneloops and I have left it to trickle charge for 30mins extra, to make sure they are charged properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    It's easy to distinguish the cells since they are numbered from #1 to #8 apart from their 8 different colors:

i like the white best
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilyWan88 View Post
    just want to share with u guys, bought these at my local store (Malaysia).

Thanks a million DevilyWan88 for providing the first photographic proof of white Chinese Eneloops on the WWW. Welcome on the forum, and Happy New Year!

Interesting. and thanks for the pictures.
    What happened to the AAA cells? looks like its wearing shorts

chinese fashion from the spring '05 collection. quite sexy, preparing for the hot days

The thing I don`t understand is that it shows EU above the trash bin.
    and the ones made in Japan also show EU above the trash bin. Plus both have the same coding. BK 3MCCE.
    I really hoped they coded them differently...

Flashaholic*

I just cracked open a 2-year old pack of Gen 3 Eneloops (dated March 2013), to see how the charge is holding up.

While I don't have a very accurate way of determining absolute capacity numbers, I did run them in two well-regulated lights to see how long they lasted.

The lights used were 4sevens Quarks, a QP2A (2xAA with an XP-G2 emitter) and a QP2A-X (2xAA with an XM-L2 emitter), both running on "high" (about 102 lumens for the QP2A, and 138 lumens for the QP2A-X, according to 4sevens).

I timed them from turning them on, to when the light dropped out of regulation. At this point, the cells measured about 0.9v-1.0v, but recovered to almost 1.2v after a couple of hours resting. My times are accurate to within about 0.05 hours.

Out of package (2 years old):
    QP2A: 3.5 hours
    QP2A-X: 2.5 hours

After 1 charge:
    QP2A: 5.05 hours
    QP2A-X: 3.5 hours

After 2 charges:
    QP2A: 5.2 hours
    QP2A-X: 3.62 hours

If we assume 2 charges reaches full capacity (it's probably getting close, if not there completely, based on other timings I've done with different Eneloops), this corresponds to a capacity as follows (accurate within 1.5%):

Out of package (2 years old):
    Measurement 1: 67%
    Measurement 2: 69%

After 1 charge:
    Measurement 1: 97%
    Measurement 2: 97%

After 2 charges:
    Measurement 1: 100%
    Measurement 2: 100%

So, about 68% capacity after almost 2 years in the package. This is no surprise, since Sanyo/Panasonic only charges them up to 75% according to others. But it's plenty of capacity that you can use them right out of the package, which is what I often do.

After 1 cycle, they get within 3% of full capacity. I don't think there's any need to cycle these several times to "restore" them. You can cycle them if you want to squeeze another 3%, but it's probably not worth it. Just charge them up the first time, or use them right out of the package if you don't mind starting with a partial charge.

Update:

I ran another cycle. No improvement in capacity. Looks like 2 cycles are all you need to bring Eneloops to full capacity. (1 cycle to charge them initially, then 1 more to get another 3% capacity out of them. IMO, I wouldn't bother with the 2nd cycle, since you'll eventually recharge them again after you use them.)

Some of that 3% extra capacity might be some extra surface charge, from using them soon after charging them. From another test I've done, it appears that Eneloops retain about 2% more charge if you use them within hours of charging, compared to about a week later. It seems that they self-discharge about 2% within a week, before settling down to a very slow self-discharge.

So, if I had to speculate, I'd say that the 2nd cycle really only added 1% or 2%.
    Last edited by WalkIntoTheLight; 01-14-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Very nice. Thanks for doing this for us.
    I bought a pack of AA and AAA Gen 4 cells in an 8 pack. I can't find any dates at all on packaging. Any insight on this?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for doing this for us.
    I bought a pack of AA and AAA Gen 4 cells in an 8 pack. I can't find any dates at all on packaging. Any insight on this?
    There will be date codes etched into the cells, not on the packaging. They are not printed, but are stamped, so they are very difficult to see. It's easiest if you take a flashlight and shine it at a shallow angle along the edge of the cells. They'll stand out a bit better that way. Once you find them, look at the first post of this thread on how to interpret them.

Thank you sir.

I found these at my local Costco the other day. I usually run Li-Ion but the price was good for $23 and wanted to see what all the hype was about with these eneloop. It came with the advanced charger so I can charge one cell at a time. 10 AA min 1900mah and 4 AAA 800mah. The AA's are made in Japan with the code of BK-3MCCA.

I already had a lot of the Royavac IC3 15 min fast charging 2000mah batteries. But they are pushing 7 to 10 years old for some of them. Then I decided to see all the batteries I have and chargers, I need to recycle the old ones and and fake Li-Ion ones that came with cheap lights and laser pointers. I guess I need more lights for these batteries.

I think ink I have enought chargers also, but now after seeing how the eneloop batteries perform I may want to buy the fast charger.

So so after doing some performance testing of the eneloop AA cells on my hobby charger with a 1A discharge rate while monitoring the voltage I can say I was impressed. Especialy how the cell kept the voltage steady for %95 of the discharge.
    as for fast charging, what is the most amperage these eneloops can take when fast charging?
    Last edited by ScottJD; 01-28-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Fixed pictured

Hey guys i have a question, i have the Panasonic Eneloop Pro AAA, and after i charge them, 3 weeks later there at 1.35volts, i thought they are supposed to retain close to there inital charge after 1 year?
    BLF GTvn, TN-42vn TK61vn V1, Imalent DX80, X80, X45 II, X7vn, TN36vn, SR Mini, SD26vn, M18 Striker, TK22, S200C2, D25AAA

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by joshjp View Post
    Hey guys i have a question, i have the Panasonic Eneloop Pro AAA, and after i charge them, 3 weeks later there at 1.35volts, i thought they are supposed to retain close to there inital charge after 1 year?
    That's quite normal. Open circuit voltage isn't a very good indicator of remaining capacity for NiMH cells.
    Firmware Developer for the UltraSmartCharger: Open Source Charger/Analyzer for NiMH/NiCad/NiZn batteries.
    http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com

Quote Originally Posted by Power Me Up View Post
    That's quite normal. Open circuit voltage isn't a very good indicator of remaining capacity for NiMH cells.
    Ohh ok i didnt know that, is there something i can read on about that?.
    BLF GTvn, TN-42vn TK61vn V1, Imalent DX80, X80, X45 II, X7vn, TN36vn, SR Mini, SD26vn, M18 Striker, TK22, S200C2, D25AAA

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

Ohh ok i didnt know that, is there something i can read on about that?.
    The best way to get the remaining capacity reading is to discharge the cell using a smart charger. While voltage is not a very good indicator a healthy cell that is optimally good and fully charged will have a rough baseline of..

1.32v or higher - fully charged
    1.29v - 75% charged
    1.26v - 50% charged
    1.23v - 25% charged
    1.20v or lower - empty

Note that this isn't always accurate, but i go by that when i think i need to recharge my cells before they hit below 1.20 volts. If you want a more accurate reading, discharging the cell and getting the mAh reading at the end is what you want.
    LED Lights: Nitecore EA81, EA41, EA42, ThruNite TN4A, Ti3, Coast HP7-410, 530, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, LD4, Maglite XL50, 2D, 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    The best way to get the remaining capacity reading is to discharge the cell using a smart charger. While voltage is not a very good indicator a healthy cell that is optimally good and fully charged will have a rough baseline of..

1.32v or higher - fully charged
    1.29v - 75% charged
    1.26v - 50% charged
    1.23v - 25% charged
    1.20v or lower - empty

Note that this isn't always accurate, but i go by that when i think i need to recharge my cells before they hit below 1.20 volts. If you want a more accurate reading, discharging the cell and getting the mAh reading at the end is what you want.
    Thanks a bunch for that info, i use the Nitecore D4 charger, i use the low setting to charge them, as if i dont then thr batts get hot, and i hear that when there getting jot it cqn mess them up, but now i will wait untill they get lower to charge them.

Flashaholic

@ScottJD

Does the Eneloop charger from Costco have a LED indicator to know if the cell is finished charging or is still charging?

My old 1 had individual LEDs on top of each bay.

Thanks!

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLust View Post
    @ScottJD

Does the Eneloop charger from Costco have a LED indicator to know if the cell is finished charging or is still charging?

My old 1 had individual LEDs on top of each bay.

Thanks!
    If you're referring to the BQ-CC17 there is individual LED indicators on the bottom that come up green for each cell. If the light flashes it usually means either you are trying to charge an alkaline cell or a cell that has High Internal Resistance.
    LED Lights: Nitecore EA81, EA41, EA42, ThruNite TN4A, Ti3, Coast HP7-410, 530, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, LD4, Maglite XL50, 2D, 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

I needed a set of AAA so I broke open a new package of 4x Eneloop AAA datecode 08-11 purchased year 2009 and these are the discharge results.

Discharged with MAHA C9000, @400mA
    569mA
    558mA
    566mA
    564mA

Not sure how much was filled at the factory but after more than 6 years the AAA still holds some charge.
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Shame they dont do a D size cell, because Im thinking to buy my dad a led lenser p17.2 torch for his birthday?

Shame they dont do a D size cell, because Im thinking to buy my dad a led lenser p17.2 torch for his birthday?
    They have D cells! Although they probably contain 3 AA size batteries, with a total capacity of 5700mAh.
    Those D cells are only available in Japan.

If you don't have a high current draw application, you could always use these

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-cell-adapters

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=#post4333888

unfortunately I'm not aware of a regular retail channel in the USA, but the "World Electric Fan" seller on eBay was easy to deal with.

Hi guys, after reading through the lengthy thread on eneloops and possible fakes going around, I was trying to find a reliable source of supply for AAA Lite version. There was once a seller shipping internationally from Tokyo in this forum, but has since stopped sales. Where else can I get a reliable seller that can ship to Singapore/Malaysia? Or are there recommended local stores that I can visit for good prices?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by batt3ry View Post
    Hi guys, after reading through the lengthy thread on eneloops and possible fakes going around, I was trying to find a reliable source of supply for AAA Lite version. There was once a seller shipping internationally from Tokyo in this forum, but has since stopped sales. Where else can I get a reliable seller that can ship to Singapore/Malaysia? Or are there recommended local stores that I can visit for good prices?

Thank you!
    Hi, sorry, I don`t sell batteries anymore..only in large amounts.....50+
    other places are probably ebay... but you wont know if you are getting real ones.

I like the generation 1 and generation 2,generation 3.

The eneloop have been panasonic, then the generation 4 come out.

From the discharge curve, the 4th is not good as the 3rd.

Eneloop hold the core technology, the panasonic have not in NI-MH battery.

Welcome to the Forum!

Hi guys,

I just bought 2 x 2 AAA Eneloop Lite batteries (latest generation) from an eBay seller that seems to be based in Japan. I would like to verify the authenticity of these batteries - hope the gurus here can help!

On another related note - does removing the battery from its vacuum sealed pack make the batteries discharge faster? Or is there no difference at all?

Thanks!

More pictures here:

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast