FourSevens        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more

Default Re: Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more

Fantastic review

Congrats on the purchase Ant,unless i am missing something ,2 batts + and 2 batts other way - so either way in light it will be same..stand to be corrected though.

Reg cord,use a thin strong piece ,thread one end through,then loop one end round thicker cord ,thread other end through same way so around the large cord.Both ends through pull and may pull large cord through.Just a thought to try

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more

This is a great light. A cpf member did an unofficial runtime test on the moon mode, he guessed about 700 hrs with alkie, 500 hrs with eneloop and lithium. Great emergency light.

Buttrock keep up the amazing work selfbuilt!

Thanks, well it wasent a major issue anyways, I'll just make sure I put the barriers in the carrier the correct way as always, I was just poinint out that if you put the batterys in the wrong way it can be shorted. It even points this out in the manual. But ether way I think you have to be trying pretty hard to get batterys in the wrong way (flat tops maby) but the type of batterys this uses I feel you would have to be pretty stupid to put them in the carrier the wrong way what with the huge button on top to tell you which side is which, so long as you know the button is always positive and the doing negative I'd imagine its pretty darn hard to do it anyways.

Re lanyard, imm complex rating me king a Spanish wring knot then attaching my box knot lanyard to it. Cheack out the lanyards thread in 24-48 if you want to see my creation (I'll have rather successfuly done it by rthen or given up haha!)

Just want to again say what an amazing job Self built dose for this fourm with his reviews as I have read a fair few of them now. Real quality stuff he dose, clearly has a passion it.

And of course I appreciate all the answers and help I have received from numours members on this fourm, just hope I can help others in the same way when I know a lot more about things here.
    Last edited by AnthonyMcEwen; 11-12-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    You can... you just need a couple of non-conductive speed bumps on either side of the positive contact - that will allow button tops to slide in between, but prevent flat tops from making contact.
    Sorry, I keep forgetting this is a AA cell light; I was thinking of flat-tops. Those need diodes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen View Post
    And small lanyard hole (550 para cord wont fit in jt and im hesitant to use a metak clip in cases it wears away at the hole)
    550 cord is complete overkill for attachment to a light. Many would argue you should have a break-away lanyard anyway. Attach with a thinner cord and use 550 for hand feel.

Default Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Sorry, I keep forgetting this is a AA cell light; I was thinking of flat-tops. Those need diodes, right?
    IDK... I only use AA/CRAA/14500, remember?

I am away at sea, the internet is so slow that researching is almost impossible. Last night with the least amount of people logging into the system I managed to order and pay for a D40A NW from HKEquipment, my first real flashlight. I hope someone can tell me which batteries are best for most lumens output, eneloops or li-ion? Alkies? Link would be great so I could just go straight to it and buy it. Looking forward to having this in my house when I get home! A1 professional review by the way! Only took an hour to load the first page haha!

drpower,

Direct links to sale pages aren't allowed here (other than paying advertisers).

The D40A cannot run on Lithium-Ion batteries so you can rule that out.

Alkalines don't like high draw loads and would be a poor choice if you expect to regularly use the High or Turbo levels, but would be fine on medium. However they are notorious for leaking so you should remove them from the light to store it if you choose them.

LSD NIMH (eneloop) is probably your best choice here. They are fully capable of supporting the draw of the D40A on high or turbo. Incidentally the white label (not black label) AmazonBasics NiMH AA batteries appear to be rebranded eneloops at a slightly lower price.
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.

ok, I bought 4 Sanyo XX 2500Mah and a BC-700 charger.
    Last edited by drpower; 11-17-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drpower View Post
    I am away at sea, the internet is so slow that researching is almost impossible. Last night with the least amount of people logging into the system I managed to order and pay for a D40A NW from HKEquipment, my first real flashlight. I hope someone can tell me which batteries are best for most lumens output, eneloops or li-ion? Alkies? Link would be great so I could just go straight to it and buy it. Looking forward to having this in my house when I get home! A1 professional review by the way! Only took an hour to load the first page haha!
    Hopefully you are not having the light delivered to sea. I agree with Disciple, NiMH are your best bet for the light.

And
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

hi selfbuilt! just reporting a typo

Right, that should obviously say Turbo is the last row. I will fix it next week when back in the office.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

Flashaholic*

Selfbuilt, great review as usual.

Question: Are the buttons are covered with a plastic coating? Bear with me as I ask this question: I have a toaster oven with slightly raised buttons covered with plastic and it looks similar to the D40. After several years of constant use, the plastic is starting to tear away just at the edges of each button. It doesn't affect functionality but it does look a little ghetto. Just wondering if it is indeed a plastic coating and if it feels fairly sturdy.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    Question: Are the buttons are covered with a plastic coating? Bear with me as I ask this question: I have a toaster oven with slightly raised buttons covered with plastic and it looks similar to the D40. After several years of constant use, the plastic is starting to tear away just at the edges of each button. It doesn't affect functionality but it does look a little ghetto. Just wondering if it is indeed a plastic coating and if it feels fairly sturdy.
    There is some sort of film coating over the buttons (plastic is a good descriptor). This is pretty much the norm for all such simple press switches. Hard to say what the long-term longevity will be, but it is a likely source of eventual wear.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    Selfbuilt, great review as usual.

yeah but the great thing is that it's held by 4 screws and a metal frame that are user removeable. so years down the road you could probably replace it with a similar material if it wears out

can't say the same for other side buttons from other brands

great review! i think i'll be purchasing the D40A neutral white version. thanks for all the info.

Enlightened

I came across the Nitecore EA4, but after reading this the D40A seems to have a superior switch and a better constructed battery carrier, and so avoids the flaws found with the Nitecore. I assume people would agree the D40A is the better product?

The D40A has a 1 lumen mode that is just excellent for such a powerful llight. Buy a 40mm diffuser from Deal Extrreme and a red filter and you have an awesome combination.
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ruislip View Post
    I came across the Nitecore EA4, but after reading this the D40A seems to have a superior switch and a better constructed battery carrier, and so avoids the flaws found with the Nitecore. I assume people would agree the D40A is the better product?
    I've seen this question before...it really comes down to individual preference. Some people like the single switch Nitecore interface, or don't want moonlight mode. The performance of both lights is virtually identical in use, so just get whichever one YOU like better.

Selfbuilt it was your incredibly comprehensive and detailed review of the D40A that compelled me to purchased this amazing AA thrower. Thanks for making my decision easy. Unless I missed it in your review I couldn't find a runtime for the Moonlight mode so I contacted Sunwayman and they replied "theoretically 15-20 days" Do you think this range of runtime is possible using 2550mah Eneloop's? or is their estimated runtime over exagerated.

Thanks again for another great review.

Modsquad

Enlightened

Apologies. Post 107 is my first mistake since joining the forum. I've read a lot of AA light specs, and I'm confusing myself. The EA4 does not have a battery holder which, in my view, is one of its positives. The D40A has the best constructed battery holder I've seen so far. the D40A has a more solid looking switch in comparison to the EA4.

Unenlightened

New to the forum. Just purchased several D40A's for my family as Christmas gifts, based largely on this "most excellent" review (thank you selfbuilt!). Much of the technicalities are admittedly over my head. But my wife commented that she would really like a "bright flashlight". Now she has one!
    I received my shipment about a week ago.
    I had decided to use lithium batteries, and purchased a 20-pack from amazon before I really understood the voltage issue, and sure enough the voltage light came on, and the beam stepped down as described in the review. Sunwayman replied to my inquiry:
    "As to the red indicator lamp, in fact, you can use L91 lithium batteries, but since the voltage exceeds 1.5V so the indicator lamp will flash since it detects it as a lithium battery, the indicator lamp is to protect the light, the voltage range of this light is 3-6V, thank you."
    I also have an as-yet-unreported issue with the lanyard clasps. With 4 out of 5 of the units I purchased, the clasp was too "fat" to fit through the hole in the flashlight body. Sunwayman responded that a new batch of clasps "were indeed a little bigger." They are working on the problem and will send me replacement lanyards when they are available. I know it's not a big issue, but it is an annoyance for those who actually use the lanyard provided. Also out-of-step with what appears to be an otherwise quality product.
    Sunwayman has a very responsive support department - I'm very impressed with this brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Modsquad View Post
    ...Unless I missed it in your review I couldn't find a runtime for the Moonlight mode so I contacted Sunwayman and they replied "theoretically 15-20 days" Do you think this range of runtime is possible using 2550mah Eneloop's? or is their estimated runtime over exagerated...
    I think SWM's estimates are good/fair. I believe the manual states 1 lm / 500 hrs (I meter mine 0.7-0.8 lms which is great). I ran half a 9v (3xAAAAs) to 133 hrs, so that's >250 hrs for a full one. If I have my math right, three 9V ~= 4xAA Alkaline or ~ 750 hrs, so Eneloops (2000-2500mah) should cover the 400-500 hrs range. FWIW, one other data point, my low mode metered 15 lms for me (sample variation?) but ran twice as long as spec'd on Eneloops (so same lumen-hrs), which I am very happy to about.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    , one other data point, my low mode metered 15 lms for me (sample variation?) but ran twice as long as spec'd on Eneloops (so same lumen-hrs), which I am very happy to about.
    Apparently it seems it's just yours. According to SB, it's about 28 lumen with his sample. Maybe you have a newer version? When did you get yours?
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 12-18-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    Apparently it seems it's just yours. According to SB, it's about 28 lumen with his sample. Maybe you have a newer version? When did you get yours?
    Well mine's different, that's for sure - zespectre ran 31 hrs on low here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4323380

Mine run was 46 hrs in 1600 mah Eneloops (old cells measured on a C9000)

That said, I calibrate my light meter with the significantly more conservative lumen scale used by smaller 47s/ET/TN lights, so SB's 28 would be ~ 21 for me. I bought my D40 a month or two before the w version came out.

Flashaholic*

I won mine (nw) from their promotion. They shipped it to me right when they have the nw version ready. You think we have the same driver/version?

Flashaholic*

Wait a minute.. SB has the cw version. That's maybe why its slightly higher in lumen.
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 12-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modsquad View Post
    Unless I missed it in your review I couldn't find a runtime for the Moonlight mode so I contacted Sunwayman and they replied "theoretically 15-20 days" Do you think this range of runtime is possible using 2550mah Eneloop's? or is their estimated runtime over exagerated.
    It's really hard to say, as moonlight runtime (and output levels) can vary significantly across samples. As reppans said, the SWM estimates seem reasonable. But I know from discussions with other makers - and my own limited experience on low-mode runtimes - that it can be highly variable. It has been suggested that Vf of the emitter can have a significant impact on runtime at ultra-low levels (and of course, makers don't purchase defined Vf bins).

On the topic of exact lumen estimates ... well, we all just do the best we can with the calibration standards available to us. But you should always expect a certain amount of variability.

Quote Originally Posted by BINOVC View Post
    I also have an as-yet-unreported issue with the lanyard clasps. With 4 out of 5 of the units I purchased, the clasp was too "fat" to fit through the hole in the flashlight body. Sunwayman responded that a new batch of clasps "were indeed a little bigger." They are working on the problem and will send me replacement lanyards when they are available. I know it's not a big issue, but it is an annoyance for those who actually use the lanyard provided. Also out-of-step with what appears to be an otherwise quality product. Sunwayman has a very responsive support department - I'm very impressed with this brand!
    Thanks for sharing your experience. And

Flashaholic

Thank you for the review, which inspired the purchase of this light. As a "learning lurker" I cannot express my appreciation for all the reviews you've done, and all the CPF-ers comments and guidance on this wonderful new addict...er, hobby that I've stumbled upon.

As an "old dog" I can't help but feel a sense of the "sci-fi" future when exercising my new "light-saber". What fun!

Again to all the CPF folks, thanks!

Buy this light, it is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by HKdude View Post
    Thank you for the review, which inspired the purchase of this light. As a "learning lurker" I cannot express my appreciation for all the reviews you've done, and all the CPF-ers comments and guidance on this wonderful new addict...er, hobby that I've stumbled upon.
    Glad you are enjoying the light. And

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast