flashlight mod

thomast77

Newly Enlightened
looking to convert a few 2d cell bulb flashlights to led. I am not having much luck searching the forum. There are a bunch of broken links. First time modder here looking for schematics to wire a few leds to replace the bulbs in a few 2d cell flashlights. I would also be looking for a good source for leds in bulk. I am doing this as a way to learn a bit more about leds and flashlights. any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You
Tom

thomast77

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the reply. Interesting read, but I am looking for something that incorporates the lower end cheaper leds. Maybe 3 or more wired into the 2D cell flashlight to replace the incandescent bulb. I am not quite sure how to wire more than one together. And I think a resistor may be needed somewhere. This is the led I am looking for in bulk. White, Good price ad I prefer really bright smooth beam.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That won't give you a beam. It will be smooth. It won't be really bright either.
So you'll get 1 out of 3 wishes.

Just use a real power LED. Cree XRE cost a couple of dollars. Fix to the simplest heatsink and you will be far better off.
Either run on low enough voltage that you don't need a resistor or add resistor.

Hoop

Enlightened
Here is a spreadsheet with info on online stores that sell leds. I wouldn't particularly recommend dx or kaidomain. As chodes said, you can get a good led on a star for only a few dollars. Two D cells wont give you the voltage to run an led without a boost driver.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a spreadsheet with info on online stores that sell leds. I wouldn't particularly recommend dx or kaidomain. As chodes said, you can get a good led on a star for only a few dollars. Two D cells wont give you the voltage to run an led without a boost driver.

It might... (2 cells...)
Variables are LED Vf and light resistance.
Surprise examples I found:

In a direct drive low resistance triple SST50 light I found:
3 CR123 primaries resulted about 270ma. Quite a useful amount of light as backup to the usual 5-6 Amps on 3 x IMRs.
2 x IMR 18500s resulted in about 100ma. (with 3 LEDs, this was almost as much light as a 2D Maglite)

With the 2 x 18500 example, assuming 8V made it to the LEDs, divide by 3, only 2.66V for each SST50 for useful light. I doubt 8V made it to LEDs..
That's why I say depending on LED, 2 cells may work. Remember OP wants super cheap solution, 100ma through a Cree beats 3 5mm LEDs anyday.
If LED does not glow, 3 cells and resistor next step.

The target to beat is 3 x 5mm LEDs. If the Cree glows, that's enough.